no wonder localshops are dying

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hugo drax, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. hugo drax

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Oh please, JK.

    Do ya enjoy putting your neck on the chopping block?

    It says "At the PMA show in Las Vegas in March 2003 Canon announced their
    most affordable digital SLR yet, the EOS 10D with an estimated $1500 street
    price. The EOS 10D has an even faster AF system than the D60 and was the
    first dSLR to use Canon's new DIGIC image processor. And now, just six
    months behind the 10D, Canon is launching their super-affordable EOS Digital
    Rebel SLR with a street price of just $999 - and that includes the EF-S
    18-55mm zoom lens."

    So the "street price" (NOT the SUGGESTED LIST PRICE as you claim) of the
    Digital Rebel Kit is $999... the list price is $1400.

    FYI the "street price" of the 10D body is $1500.. the list price is $1999.

    Do a little research on what "street price" means.
    That's because dealers sell at the "street price"
    JK says "Gimme cheap and as much of it as fits on the plate!"

    You eat lots of mashed potatos, JK?

    Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 26, 2003

  2. hugo drax

    JK Guest

    The typical " street price" for now is still around $999, but that is also the
    list price.
    Give me a link to a US website that mentions the $1400 number(not a
    Canadian or Australian one!)
    LOL! The real street price of the 10D is closer to $1300. Show me a link
    to a US website that has a higher than $1500 US price listed as the list price.
    In parts of the world other than the US, the list price might be higher than
    $1500
    US.
    Street price is the lowest price from a legitimate dealer. It is not an average
    or typical or highest selling price. The list price is the manufacturers
    suggested
    retail selling price.
    LOL! Only the lowest priced legitimate dealer sells at the street price.

    JK, Dec 26, 2003

  3. hugo drax

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Here's a NYC dealer called Photo Habitat that posts the list price of the
    Digital Rebel Kit at $1500.

    http://st12.flashecom.com/photohabitat/dept.asp?dept_id=04-008
    Nope!

    "Street price" is the price set by the manufacturer as a fair markup over
    cost.

    Far lower than their list price.
    And THAT is NOT the "STREET PRICE"
    WRONG AGAIN!!!

    You know as much about what "street price" means as what "markup" means.

    Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 27, 2003
  4. hugo drax

    stacey Guest

    Yea they can match the price of some internet seller with no overhead..

    stacey, Dec 27, 2003
  5. hugo drax

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 27, 2003
  6. hugo drax

    Azzz1588 Guest

    WoW, what an amazing PRICK you are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You actually want brick and mortar stores to sell items to
    you at internet prices ??? Seriously ????

    Your an ASSHOLE of a PRICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    No, you just look like a snivilling little weasel of a skinflint, who
    thinks that no one has a right to make any money from you, while
    I bet you dont think that you are overpaid at your job. Why should
    you feel other people are overpaid at theirs ??

    Again, what a prick you are.................
    Stores ought to charge you just for entering their premisis !

    Azzz1588, Dec 27, 2003
  7. hugo drax

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 27, 2003
  8. hugo drax

    Don Coon Guest

    Don Coon, Dec 27, 2003
  9. hugo drax

    George Kerby Guest

    Hey Alan, you shouldn't hold back: Tell us how you REALLY feel!

    George Kerby, Dec 27, 2003
  10. hugo drax

    JK Guest

    Did you have a camera store that failed? You sound very bitter.

    JK, Dec 28, 2003
  11. hugo drax

    JK Guest

    I did say that I might pay 5%-10% above. If smaller stores can't be
    competitive, it isn't my fault. Many internet sellers also
    have retail stores, and they all have overhead. If smaller stores
    want to survive, perhaps they need to form buying cooperatives,
    so that perhaps 60 small stores might have the buying power of a mid
    sized chain. Getting to actually handle a camera before purchase
    is only worth so much. Before the internet, information was harder
    to get. With so much information on the net, the hands on experience
    really isn't worth that much. I am sorry if you are having trouble with
    your small camera store(if you do indeed own one). If you want to
    help make retail stores more competitive vs the net, then push for
    a high( 8 or 9 %?) tax to be imposed on all internet sales.

    JK, Dec 28, 2003
  12. hugo drax

    JK Guest

    If the sales tax there is in the 8-10% range and the item is inexpensive
    to ship, then the local store might have to basically match the net
    price to have an after tax price within 10%. Perhaps a high(8-10%?)
    national tax on internet sales is called for to help level the playing field?
    I don't want to see the local stores go out of business, although many
    probably could become more efficient(perhaps through buying cooperatives
    where many small stores band together and order from one central point?)
    or other means?

    JK, Dec 28, 2003
  13. hugo drax

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Much worse: his life failed...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 28, 2003
  14. In the UK, there is a uniform tax rate of 17.5% (called Value Added
    Tax!!!) whether sales are within the same county (or country as in
    England, N Ireland, Scotland, Wales), and whether you buy at a store or
    online. This seems a fairer system to me. I guess having a uniform
    federal tax rather than a variable local tax would not go down well in the
    USA?

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2003
  15. In the USA, all 50 states have their own budget, and not all services are
    provided by the federal government. The federal goverment levies taxes
    (income tax mostly) to run the country as whole, the states levy taxes
    (income tax and value-added taxes such as sales tax) to run the state.

    For example, state, county and local roads and highways are maintained
    primarily by the state governments. The people of each state pay for their
    own road construction and maintenance. (There are federal highways too, such
    as the National Interstate Highway and Defense System). Those roads are paid
    for in large part by value-added tax (BOTH state and federal) on gasoline.
    The federal gasoline tax is the same nationwide, state gasoline taxes vary
    by state. As a result, some states have better roads than others. OTOH, road
    maintenance in cold/snowy Minnesota is a lot more expensive than in hot
    sunny Arizona.

    The rights of the individual states to govern themselves is a key feature of
    the US constitution and the complicated relationship between state and
    federal governments has been a hotly debated topic in the US for 200 years.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 28, 2003
  16. hugo drax

    George Kerby Guest

    Your problem is that you do not understand how camera manufacturers work.
    A mom and pop camera store CANNOT carry not only Sony's digicams for sale.
    Sony (and many others) REQUIRE the retailer to carry their brand of VCRs,
    TVs, DVDs, and other assorted shit that tradiditional camera stores do not
    sell. The TVs and such are NOT moving. Inventory that sits on shelves is
    wasted money and therefore the mom and pop stores HAVE to sell what they can
    for a higher markup to stay alive. Combine that with a lot of brick & mortar
    businesses being charged a percentage of their gross sales revenue by their
    landlord. Wal-Mart has fuc-ed up this country and every independent
    businessman. And I admit that I shop there. I hate it but some things just
    have to be. However, I continue to support the local camera store when I
    can. I bit the bullet when I paid $425 for my wife's Canon Elph 400 while I
    knew it could be had for a hundred bucks less on the Net. BUT, unless one
    supports the local guy, the local guy will not be there when a sudden job
    comes up and I need a couple of pro packs of VCS120 in a hurry. You need to
    consider the situation from another angle, that's all.

    George Kerby, Dec 28, 2003
  17. []
    Many thanks for that. I am better informed now! Clearly rather off-topic
    here.

    I guess the lack of tax for inter-state trading is partially designed to
    prevent too much state isolationism (and make money for people in
    transport...).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2003
  18. hugo drax

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Internet sales help local dealers too. I saw the prerelease reviews
    of the Canon S100 and kept looking at them long enough that I decided
    I had to have one and wanted to order one as soon as it was available
    (I usually agonize over such purchase decisions). Then I was at my
    local store on a lunch break and saw one on the shelf. I asked "Is
    that an S100 right here in stock?". They said "yes do you want to
    look at it?". I said "no I have to get back to work, here's my credit
    card, just ring it up". So because of Internet reviews and dealers
    they avoided the whole customer handholding and sales pitch thing. I
    was in and out of there in about one minute. Of course I haven't
    bought anything else since then. I've had the S100 for 2+ years and a
    whole series of replacement models has come out, but I haven't felt
    the need to upgrade. The S100 my third decent digicam but the first
    that I felt really satisfied with.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003
  19. The 10D I remember was 1199 wholsale back when I worked in a camera shop.

    Mike Harrison, Dec 28, 2003
  20. It's true that state isolationism is a considered to be a bad thing here.
    Sadly ironic that one of the bloodiest wars in US history (the Civil War)
    was fought to prevent that very thing.

    As to lack of interstate sales tax, that's actually more of a practicality
    thing; there's no practical way to track out of state purchases and no
    practical way to force people to pay value added tax (sales tax) on items
    they purchase in another state. Virtually all of the states' tax laws
    require that the tax be paid, but if you buy from a company in another
    state, the state you live and pay taxes in can only require that the
    consumer voluntarily report all of his/her out-of-state purchases and pay
    the sales tax to the state that they live in when he/she submits their
    annual state tax forms. In this state, that just never happens and the state
    basically ignores it. So far.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 28, 2003