No time date stamp analog capture

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aim High, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    I have a Sony DCR-TRV240 Digital Video Camcorder that records to hi8 tape. I
    am trying to capture it's output to my new Sony VGC-RA910G Vaio digital
    studio computer with XP media Edition. . The problem is that I must have the
    time and date showing in the frames of the video for legal reasons. The
    sales outlet insists that this is possible but I can do it in no way. If you
    use I.link firewire or USB of course it is a digital transfer and the time
    date don't show in the frame but in a separate window. They put in a ATI
    Radeon X600XT which is not the All in Wonder card which has analog capture
    capability. There is a s-video connector but I am pretty sure that is out
    only. I have tried the composite inputs in the front and back of the machine
    as well as the S-Video inputs on the front and back and it won't even see
    the camcorder which is turned on and running in VCR mode with the data code
    button pushed and showing correct time and date in the viewfinder. I have
    tried the Pixila software with that came with the camera and it's I.link
    only. Tried Adobe premiere with the same results. I.link only. Tried DvGate
    software same, same. Tried Click to DVD software with same result. It won't
    see the camcorder without I.Link and no time stamp in the video frame
    itself.

    The only way I can get it to do what I need is to digitize ( S-video to USB)
    with a dazzle box and capture using windows Movie Maker 2.

    I need to use the inputs that the machine came with but I don't think it
    will be possible without an analog capture card which they will not cover
    and they say would void the warranty. Does anyone have any help? I am at
    wits end.

    Thanks for any help.

    --

    Quote of the Day

    If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
    Anatole France (1844 - 1924)

    Aim High, Sep 20, 2004

  2. If it works with the Dazzle, why can't you go ahead and use it? Just
    curious. By the way, I don't think you'll void any warranty by adding a
    capture card to the computer.

    See if this product might be of interest to you:
    http://www.golddownload.com/Multimedia_Graphics_Video_Tools_Visual_DV_Time_Stamp_30744.html
    Shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/4dcxf

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Thanks Roger
    It is actually a computer belonging to a customer and he paid me for
    advising him on a purchase. He is a private detective so must have the time
    date stamp. He spent a bundle already and was supposed to get one machine
    that would do it all as this was promised to be. The Dazzle is an old one of
    mine so he would have to buy one and would rather just have a capture card
    with it's bundled software. Best Buy's # won't work and they can't guaranty
    anything if we tamper with it even though I am A+ certified. Plus he would
    have to buy another $200 card over and above the $3500 he's got sunk into
    this turkey. They keep insisting that it will work but we are running out of
    time to return it and the same people are never there. It's a nightmare.
    I'll checkout your software recommendation but I don't think this box can do
    what we want without a new card no matter what they say!

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 20, 2004
  4. It's a simple program. It merely takes the timecode info that is
    imbedded in the .avi files that you capture in digital format (in other
    words, no analog capture card needed) and superimposes the date/time
    onto the frame so that they're visible in the final product. You can try
    it before buying it, but for $20 I thought it was just what you need.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Roger;
    Thanks a million for the link. One question. Should this work for burning to
    cd's as well as dvd's? I am not as savvy about video issues as I should be.

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 20, 2004
  6. Just to be clear, I've not used this particular program. But it does get
    a good recommendation and it claims to put the time/date stamp on the
    video frame so that it will be visible in whatever you do with the .avi
    file, whether it's burning to CD/DVD or printing to tape.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 20, 2004