No sound Dell PIII 450 GX1 with Mandrake 10.0

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martik, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Martik

    Martik Guest

    Has anyone got sound working with the crystal 4236 on board chip?

    I've tried modprobe snd-cs4236 which seems to load the correct drivers and
    un-grays the sound icon but still no sound.

    lsmod does list the drivers:

    [[email protected] mk]# lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    snd-cs4236 17156 0
    snd-opl3-lib 9984 1 snd-cs4236
    snd-hwdep 8928 1 snd-opl3-lib
    snd-cs4236-lib 15520 1 snd-cs4236
    snd-mpu401-uart 7072 1 snd-cs4236
    snd-rawmidi 23616 1 snd-mpu401-uart
    snd-seq-device 8008 2 snd-opl3-lib,snd-rawmidi
    snd-cs4231-lib 25024 2 snd-cs4236,snd-cs4236-lib
    snd-pcm 93156 2 snd-cs4236-lib,snd-cs4231-lib
    snd-timer 24484 3 snd-opl3-lib,snd-cs4231-lib,snd-pcm
    snd 52484 10
    snd-cs4236,snd-opl3-lib,snd-hwdep,snd-cs4236-lib,snd-mpu401-uart,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device,snd-cs4231-lib,snd-pcm,snd-timer
    soundcore 9248 1 snd
    snd-page-alloc 11972 2 snd-cs4231-lib,snd-pcm

    Also, there is no /dev/audio present

    Martik, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Martik

    Tony Guest

    Try asking in alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Tony, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Martik

    Billh Guest

    Not that this is going to help but I was having the same issue with both
    Mandrake and Redhat I never got the sound working and gave up.

    Billh, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Martik

    Martik Guest

    I beginning to think it's hopeless too. Did you try installing a supported
    soundcard?

    Martik, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Martik

    Billh Guest

    No this was an old computer that I wanted to try Linux on and when I saw
    how hard it was going to be I installed windows on it and gave it to a
    friend.

    I support 600 windows computers at a school and know them inside and
    out. I don't know Apple or Linux inside and out and do not want to take
    the time to learn.

    Billh, Oct 13, 2005