"no shutdown" not working

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Learning Cisco, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have an Catalyst 3550 XL with IOS version 12.0(5.3)WC(1), i am
    using it for testing. I created two VLAN's 91 and 92. I shutdown both
    the VLAN's for some testing, but when i wanted to do a "no sutdown" it
    is still in shutdown state. This is what i do

    conf t
    int vlan 92
    no shutdown

    but when do a sh vlan i get the below output showing the vlan is
    shutdown.

    VLAN Name Status Ports
    ---- -------------------------------- ---------
    -------------------------------
    1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2,
    Fa0/17, Fa0/18,
    Gi0/1, Gi0/2
    91 VLAN0091 act/lshut Fa0/5, Fa0/6,
    92 VLAN0092 act/lshut Fa0/9, Fa0/10,

    Any ideas ?

    Thanks

    Learning Cisco, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Learning Cisco

    Brian V Guest

    Int vlan blah would refer to the management vlan of the switch. On a layer 2
    switch you can have only 1 active managment vlan. Vlans are set in the vlan
    databse and are routed via a router. Something also needs to be pluged into
    the switchports in those vlans for the vlans to be up/up

    switch#vlan data
    switch#vlan 91 name blah
    switch#vlan 92 name blah blah
    switch#apply
    switch#exit
    switch# conf t
    switch(conf)#int f0/5
    switch(conf)#switchport access vlan 91
    switch(conf)#int f0/7
    switch(conf)#switchport access vlan 92
    switch(conf)#exit
    switch(conf)#exit
    switch# wr mem

    Brian V, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Learning Cisco

    dwhkt Guest

    Hi,

    1. You are referring to 3500XL (e.g. 3524XL or 3548XL) which is a Layer
    2 only product. It does NOT support L3 routing and the "VLAN" interface
    is used merely for management purpose. Cat3550 is a layer 3 capable
    switch.
    2. That said, you can have only 1 VLAN interface activated at one time
    for management purpose. To activate the management VLAN interface, type
    "manage" as below.

    conf t
    int vl 92
    manage
    end

    Not too sure what you are trying to do, but keep in mind that you are
    having a layer 2 switch.

    hktco

    dwhkt, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Thanks a lot hktco, I got it. Is there any link or reference that I can
    look into to verify if the switch is a L2 or L3 switches and whether it
    supports ip routing?

    Learning Cisco, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Learning Cisco

    dwhkt Guest

    dwhkt, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Learning Cisco

    Fabrice Courtois

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    One thing I don't understand though about this problem, I have a setup where there are no IP address set in ANY vlans on my switch, and it still shuts down one of the two. So in my case, it is not an SVI issue. Both vlans have one of their ports into a different router. I am not doing Router-on-a-stick. What gives?

    Fabrice Courtois, May 11, 2011
  7. Learning Cisco

    vishal31369

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Make sure:

    There is something connected on one of the ports in the VLAN
    Vlan was actually created by using VLAN command (please note interface vlan xyz is different)
    Also do a no shut to actual vlan interface

    vishal31369, Jun 24, 2011
  8. Learning Cisco

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    USA
    Try a lastest IOS (Cisco3550 EOS by May 2011).
    Also, check any member of the VLAN is plugged.

    www.ipbalance.com

    theapplebee, Jun 25, 2011