    RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor, but i
    don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it was OK
    at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best FRED

    fredcromer, May 6, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Boomer Guest

    How old is it? Did he give you a warranty?

    Have you asked at one of these groups?
    alt.comp.hardware.*

    Do you realize monitors can go bad brand new, right out of the box?

    Boomer, May 6, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Shel-hed Guest

    Check that you haven't bent any of the pins on the connector.
    I suggest you get rid of that silly AVG signature. It's completely meaningless.

    attach themselves to e-mail messages or usenet posts, we just want to spamvertise.

    Shel-hed, May 6, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    You've answered your own question.

    -= Hawk =-, May 6, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    Boomer Guest

    Damn, you're good at this 24H stuff!

    Boomer, May 6, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Back in my Windows 3.1 days, I bought a system and monitor from a local
    retailer. The monitor was bad. So was the second (smoke on power up!). And
    the third had a big nasty scratch down the middle of the CRT. But the fourth
    one I got is still working <g>. It's probably 12 years old or more now.

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    Boomer Guest

    I still have a PS1 with original monitor. Great color!

    I did buy a 17" KDS monitor a few years ago and had to send it back
    three times (yes, three times!) until I got one that was decent. I
    will never buy that brand again!

    Boomer, May 6, 2004
  8. Good lord...what size is it, from 1992?

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2004
  9. Agreed. But c'mon, the OP had a huge "KICK ME" sign hanging
    on it, too. :)

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2004
  10. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oh yeah - 14" (12.9 viewable or so)...1024x768 resolution...one of the
    "early" ones. It was *not* cheap <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2004
  11. Ow.

    Not ow the price. Ow that you're using a 14" monitor. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2004
  12. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oh no - that's the "bench" monitor. I have a 17" on my desk, and the laptop
    is 15". But I usually have the bench system on as much as the others
    too...always working on something. In fact, two of the "executives" are
    bringing in computers tomorrow...guess what...infected...go figure...that
    college education isn't doing them much good, now is it? (No offense
    intended for those in the newsgroup who stayed the course and finished...I
    dropped out)

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2004
  13. fredcromer

    Plato Guest

    Straighten out the wire in back. Often works.

    Plato, May 6, 2004
  14. Gotcha. My occasional-use old laptop, wheezer, has 12 inches of blazing
    800x600. :) A friend just gave me a 19" for the desktop. On the
    average, I'm breaking even. ;)
    For the record: two degrees and Linux, here. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2004
  15. fredcromer

    Isaac Guest

    Could be a bad VGA cable. When it is a seperate cable, try another.

    Isaac, May 6, 2004
  16. fredcromer

    fredcromer Guest

    Cheers mate, but which wire is this...and i should have added that ..y'know
    the connector..from mon-HD..well it's got 3 rows of say,10 odd pins...well 3
    of the pins aren't there, i don't know wether or not that's meant to be the
    case....I was even considering putting a thin bit of fuse-wire in 'em as
    replacements..(but they might be missin' for a reason), anyway, it took
    about 40 minutes today 2 get a proper picture...heh heh...it's not buggin me
    enuff to buy another at the mo. tho'
    Cheers for the help

    fredcromer, May 6, 2004
  17. fredcromer

    Guest Guest

    It is quite normal for a standard monitor cable to have pins
    missing. If you look at the allocation of pins:

    http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html

    A lot of pins are to do with plug and play features which
    will not be present on old monitors and won't stop the
    monitor from working.

    Pins 1,2 and 3 are the main signals and so, for one colour
    to be missing, this area is the one to check for bent or
    missing pins.

    Don't try adding your own "pins". You will do more harm than
    good.

    If you have an intermittent colour, it could be the cable
    has a break; if bending it/straightening it produces an
    effect then the cable needs replacement. This shouldn't be
    expensive - a replacement cable from an old "dead" monitor
    will be ideal. Soldering to the tiny, close-spaced, pins on
    the plug is very tricky and best left to someone who has
    done it before (and has the wrecked plugs to prove it...).
    Soldering inside the monitor case is easier but must be only
    done by a professional. Learning by trial and error is not
    appropriate either for tight-rope walkers or this as the
    possible result will be much the same.

    Guest, May 6, 2004
  18. fredcromer

    DC Guest

    Yep.

    Taking the kinks out of yer cable is excellent advice -- it will, at
    least, let you forget about your monitor troubles for a little while.

    Highly recommended. };O)

    DC, May 6, 2004
  19. fredcromer

    Guest Guest

    With any luck it will make an intermittent contact between
    the ends of a broken wire in the cable a permanent fault. As
    you intimate, that should let the OP stop worrying about
    what the fault is and he can forget all about it.

    Guest, May 6, 2004
  20. fredcromer

    DC Guest

    WHOOOOOSHHHH!!!!