No posts from New York ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by slumpy, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    slumpy, Aug 14, 2003

  2. slumpy

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Aug 14, 2003

  3. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    slumpy, Aug 14, 2003
  4. slumpy

    Jules Vern Guest

    Jules Vern, Aug 14, 2003
  5. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:
    No terrorist involvement. So *they* say.
    Seems strange that a power outage in NY can blow out so large an area.

    slumpy, Aug 14, 2003
  6. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Jules Vern continued:
    I'd save your power, you may well need it over the weekend.

    slumpy, Aug 14, 2003
  7. slumpy

    Jules Vern Guest

    Its not the odd ever hear of the state California? We are finally reaching
    our power grid thresholds with the oppressive heat. It was only a matter of
    time.

    Jules Vern, Aug 14, 2003
  8. slumpy

    Jules Vern Guest

    Very true.. that or i just might try to run my a/c from the battery :)

    Jules Vern, Aug 14, 2003
  9. slumpy

    Greg M Guest

    Supposedly due to a lightning strike on the grid by Niagra Falls.

    We need even bigger conglomerations of power companies, so the
    problems can be even more *under reported*. Gah.

    Big city water pressure is going down, so some knuckleheads are
    reportedly opening hydrants.

    Greg M, Aug 15, 2003
  10. Thund3rstruck, Aug 15, 2003
  11. slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    It happened on the eastern seaboard, IIRC, in the early to middle
    70's. There was a big population boom 9 months later too. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Aug 15, 2003
  12. slumpy

    MrToad Guest

    I work in the power industry, and the word we got was that 70-80% of the
    fail-safe devices in the areas affected, [put in place after the '77
    blackout], failed to stop the cascading blackout.
    We were also told it started at a Nuclear plant near the Canadian border
    in upstate NY, [dunno which one and it's all speculation now anyways].

    I was at work and in the control room this afternoon when it hit and all
    5 of our generators experienced power surges anywhere from 10-30MWs,
    along with a quick 5 cycle dip, *nearly* knocking off our station, [I
    work in Omaha Nebraska, and that's about 750 miles west of Cleveland, Ohio].

    The quickness of the power spike, [3ms at our plant], indicates the rest
    of the grid's fail safe devices worked, nipping the rolling blackout
    pretty quickly, [in electrical terms, a 10th of a second is butt-ass slow].

    It will be interesting to see what the general public is told.....

    :eek:]

    MrToad

    MrToad, Aug 15, 2003
  13. slumpy

    star2fire Guest

    No terrorist involvement. So *they* say.
    I thought the exact same thing myself. I have suspicions that our
    government doesn't want us to freak out....
    star2fire

    star2fire, Aug 15, 2003
  14. Conspiracy theries starting....oh dear.

    Michael Thompson, Aug 15, 2003
  15. slumpy

    trout Guest

    Aha! Well, *you've* pretty well proved that you're part of the
    conspiracy, then!

    trout, Aug 15, 2003