No posts about Sony's new, broken DVD DRM?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug Jacobs, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    I would have thought folks would have jumped all over this one...

    Slashdot is reporting that recent DVD releases from Sony are unplayable on
    some DVD players (including some Sony players) because of a new form of
    DRM that causes them to lock up. When asked about the problem, Sony not
    only said they don't intend to fix the problem, but that it's the
    manufacturers' responsibility to update their firmware to be able to play
    these new DVDs.

    Not that this new form of copy protection actually, you know, prevents
    copying. Posts on Amazon reveal that people were able to rip, copy and
    burn these new DVDs with no problem.

    Way to go Sony. I guess the CD/Rootkit debacle wasn't bad enough... On
    the other hand, this could take some attention off their floundering PS3.

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 17, 2007

  2. The group's burned out on "Mean old studios preventing our good, saintly
    'fair use backups'" copy-protection issue posts, but Sony's goof is
    starting to hit the tech-news headlines.

    It's more the case that Sony adding something evil to their disks isn't
    really the headline it used to be, but that it got so much exposure in
    such an embarrassing way this time is worth keeping an eye on.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 17, 2007

  3. Doug Jacobs

    Jay G. Guest

    1) It's not just Sony DVD releases that have this problem. Releases from
    Disney and Weinstein Company also have this issue:

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/16/sony-copy-protection-taking-heat-again-now-dvds-wont-play/

    2) Sony's already fixed the problem and will offer replacement copies of
    their discs for those with problems:

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6434584.html
    "Customers can call Sony Pictures Home Entertainment customer service at
    800.860.2878 for replacement discs."

    3) ArccOS isn't technically a "DRM", it's just a form of copy protection,
    which is similar to DRM, but not identical.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 18, 2007
  4. Doug Jacobs

    Impmon Guest

    Yeah sounds familiar. Was it a 99 cent marker that broke a
    multi-million dollars copy protection scheme on CD?

    The harder they try, the easier for crooks to slip through. Maybe if
    they stopped focusing on copy protection and instead tried to sell the
    CD and DVD *cheaper*, a lot less would be inclined to illegally copy.

    Should Sony consider my idea and it does work, I'll expect a check for
    $100k in the mail soon. =)

    Impmon, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Doug Jacobs

    Stan Brown Guest

    Oh, come on. When a DVD costs $20 or less, it's not the cost that
    motivates most people. They'd rip off the same DVD if it cost $1,
    just for the thrill.

    But this actually makes copy-protection schemes *more* annoying, not
    less: they inconvenience honest users, and don't deter dishonest
    ones.

    Stan Brown, Apr 19, 2007
  6. Doug Jacobs

    fish. Guest

    maybe.

    But more likely everyone would pirate more.

    fish., Apr 19, 2007
  7. Yeah, right. Most people sweat just hooking up their DVD player.

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Or just because they're cheap.
    Such has been true for the entire history of copy protection. It always
    ends up being circumvented, doesn't deter professional piracy in the
    least, and only ends up harassing legitimate customers.

    Of course, the idea of just not bother to copy protect stuff at all is one
    that the entire media industry just isn't ready to accept yet.

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    I think most people are generally honest. The problem is partly one of
    education - which the companies are ignoring by calling us all thieves
    right up front.

    Sure, some people would make copies if there wasn't any copy protection,
    but chances are, these are the same people who are making copies now. All
    copy protection can hope to do is make casual copying more difficult. It
    doesn't make it impossible, and it doesn't do a thing against the big-time
    pirates over in Asia who sell their warez for $3-5 a movie at little
    roadside stands all across the pacific. If these companies want to do
    something about the piracy problem, get the governments of China,
    Malaysia, the Phillipines, etc. to DO something more about these
    operations than the ocassional slap-on-the-wrist for the stall owner,
    who's usually back in business the very next day.

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 19, 2007
  10. Doug Jacobs

    fish. Guest

    I take it you represent most people? You realise that a DVD player
    being 'hooked up' has F.A to do with someone copying a DVD in a PC
    right?

    fish., Apr 19, 2007
  11. Try to get out in the real world once in a while.

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 20, 2007
  12. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Take your own advice, ya? It's bloody simple to copy a DVD - even if you
    only have one drive in your PC.

    If you're not overly technical and don't know how to use something like
    DVDShrink and Nero, there are other, self contained programs that consist
    of little more than a big round button that says "COPY DISC NOW".

    To say nothing of hardware devices which boast "one button copying"...

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 20, 2007
  13. You don't know the technical literacy of the general population.

    I was taking issue with the contention that "everyone" would be copying
    DVDs. I know nurses - plural - people responsible for the care and well
    being of other people in long term care - who can't even handle "put the
    yellow plug into the yellow jack" and can't figure out how to switch their
    TVs over to the "Line" input. I know lawyers who wouldn't dream of trying
    to copy even their own wedding DVD--if they can't get it done at some photo
    counter, it won't get done.

    You forget that you are far more computer literate than the average
    person--posting to Usenet proves that; ask the average person what Usenet
    is. Sony's idiotic copy protection scheme only hurts the majority of their
    own customers and has no effect at all on piracy. Simple Macrovision takes
    care of the one-button machines, and that's as far as almost everyone would
    get.

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 20, 2007
  14. Doug Jacobs

    fish. Guest

    And I'm still wondering what hooking up a DVD player has to do with
    copying a DVD.

    fish., Apr 20, 2007
  15. One is much simpler than the other, therefore, if a person can't...
    Do I really need to go further?

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 20, 2007
  16. Doug Jacobs

    fish. Guest

    Only in your mind retard, most people find both to be equally simple.

    fish., Apr 23, 2007
  17. Doug Jacobs

    SuperM Guest

    The comma goes BEFOER the word retard, retard.

    SuperM, Apr 23, 2007