    Evolving in a relatively isolated area doesn't help advance your society
    much.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Actually many did both. However, the pressure of numbers soon had the
    expected result.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    IF we were REALLY serious about preventing illegal entry into this
    country, then we would establish a database of illegals and each time we
    found someone here who was already in that database, they would be shot.
    So if someone came here illegally, the first time they were found,
    they would be put into the database and removed from the country, after
    that, curtains. Strangly, most people consider this plan objectional.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    She spoke English poorly, and ONLY at school. She was constantly
    'losing' her textbooks. I found later than her grandmother was burning
    them if she found them in the house. Today, the woman would be charged
    with child abuse, but then (1950's), what she was doing was quite legal,
    since she (the grandmother) was a citizen, and the grandaughter was a
    minor, with very little in the way of rights.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sometimes it is a matter of attitude. The lady next door to me speaks
    about as much English as I do German (college in the 1960's), and she
    has been living here for at least 3 years. Her problem is that she
    doesn't really intend to STAY here. In spite of a husband from the US,
    and a son who isn't ABOUT to move to Mexico, she still clings to the
    idea that their stay here is temporary. Spanish is a refuge to her, and
    she will not learn English until she give up that 'security blanket'.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  6. zbzbzb schreef in bericht
    Flikker toch op man. Misschien moet je jezelf eens afvragen wat de
    reden is dat anderen wel de beleefdheid opbrengen om -met Engels- een
    ander taal dan hun eigen taal te leren spreken. Net als de Fransen
    nemen maar weinig Engels sprekenden de moeite om kennis te nemen van
    een taal anders dan het Engels. Arrogante zak.
    My point is that he seems to have an awful lot to say on how others
    should speak in a shop without putting too much effort in how he
    himself writes his words down in a newsgroup.
    If that is paranoid, your feeling about me being insulting is also.
    He could have just left the shop. Instead he finds it necessary to
    write his words down in this group. And he does so using the following
    reason:

    "since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group"

    Don't you think the OP has a bit of a twisted mind? Don't you think he
    may have missed something at school that enabled him to read the name
    of this group, just as he missed his lessons on using paragraphs?
    Are you deaf or blind? I have already said a few times that I was
    talking about/ referring to using paragraphs. FYI this is done in any
    language.

    And people who have had their education in the US DO know they teach
    people to use paragraphs. The only conclusien can therefore be that
    the OP was asleep during these lessons. There is nothing insulting
    about that for others. That is, if they are sure about the quality of
    their education in the US.
    The use of paragraphs my friend does not stop at the borders of the
    US. You may think it does, but let me tell you I know it doesn't.
    As I said. A pile of words, written down without thinking about others
    having to read them.
    You're welcome.

    True, but the form in which it is written often is a good indication
    of that value.
    I'm happy to say that many native English speaking people have told me
    my English is very reasonable compared to that of others. Probably a
    lot better than the people the OP was talking about.

    I am quite sure though that your Dutch and probably even your French
    is probably of a level that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.
    Who are you to speak on behalf of "all".
    Besides, I didn't say I didn't understand what he said. I merely
    pointed out the fact that his text would be much better readable when
    he would have used paragraphs. Not only for me, but also for native
    English speaking people.

    Also, but not primarily. Again, he wrote: "since a lot of people
    abroad from America probably read this group".
    Who are you to decide what is readable for others?
    I have a feeling the OP does not understand what being polite means.
    If he would, he wouldn't have posted his message in this group.
    Since you have been the only one saying it was, I have a feeling it is
    not. That is the reason why I said that if the shoe fits (you), you
    might just as well wear it if you like.

    There is a large difference between (me) being insulting and (you)
    feeling insulted. Many others haven't reacted on this point and
    apparently didn't feel insulted.
    Again you seem to know better than me what or how I think or feel.
    Please stop that. You are making yourself rediculous (if you weren't
    already).
    Correct. And this is not limited to English, which means it has
    noithing to do with writing English. It is about writing (an putting
    ome structue into) any written language.
    Who are you to decide on what is insulting to all/other Americans?
    If the OP would have been British, I would have asked if they learn
    how to use paragraphs in British schools. Eeverybody knows they do.

    Others than you seem to understand the fact that by asking this I
    don't question the quality of US education, but I wonder if the OP was
    asleep when he got his education.
    If he thinks (and you agree) that it isn't his responsibility for me
    to be able to read and understand his badly written text in a
    newsgroup, then who is he to judge on others for not feeling any
    responsibility for him to understand the way they (mis-)use their
    spoken language.

    Frank

    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Michael

    Noel Guest

    What they had was far more a civilisation than anything your ilk could
    ever aspire to.

    Noel, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Frank van der Pol schreef in bericht
    This should of cours be:

    that would make a toddler feel embarassed.

    I'm sorry for the fact that you probably didn't understand what I
    meant to say.

    Frank

    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Frank van der Pol schreef in bericht
    should be

    "This should of course be:"

    Practice makes perfect doesn't it?

    Now it's your turn. Try to correct your own mistakes in your written
    Dutch.

    Frank

    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    Your words in English were clear and well understood. Apparently English
    Again, you misunderstood the whole point of his message.

    It is paranoid. You are getting defensive over someones remarks when they
    obviously had no intention on offending anyone.

    "Twisted mind" because he posted something off topic? That's quite a bit of a
    stretch.

    So then it makes sense to come out and ask whether in the US they teach proper
    English? Please.
    If you are going to speak in someone elses language you should at least learn
    how to do it without being insulting. Anyway, I still think that was your
    intention in the first place.

    What does the quality of American education have to do with your great
    irritation over him not writing the way you want him too? Is that what you
    normally do when you can't understand someones writing , you question the
    eduaction system of his or her country?

    So is this some kind of revelation? Are you now going to educate me on how we
    write or should write in America? Oh wait, you already are.

    His intended audience obviously had no problem understanding.

    No problem. Anytime.

    The value of the content of any text is its meaning, period. When you agree
    with something it doesn't require a but.

    I would agree.

    And I am supposed to be concerned with that in what way?

    I don't speak for all but am merely pointing out that fact considering the

    What you asked him was insulting. Would you like me to quote what you said?

    Sounds like he was talking to Americans to me.

    I'm not the one attacking someone for their writing skills because I can't
    understand him or her. You need to direct that question to yourself.

    No, I think you need to learn what being polite means, especially if you choose
    to speak in other people's native tongue.

    And yet you were still interested enough to respond, correct?

    What kind of reasoning is that?

    Take it from someone that speaks English as his native tongue, you were being
    insulting. It wasn't in a gray area either. Also, because others may not have
    responded does not make you right.

    Well you said you really didn't care. If you truely didn't you wouldn't be
    mentioning you didn't care in the first place.

    Well apparently he didn't do it to your satisfaction. Maybe you should get over
    it because I doubt very much he is going to rewrite it especially for you.

    I think I know enough about my own culture to say what would generally and
    obviously be offensive to fellow Americans. If you don't like that, well then
    that is your problem. Personally I would take that as helpful advice
    considering you are speaking my native language. Up to you.

    So if you know something so obviously elementary then why would you ask if not
    to insult or be sarcastic??

    Since no one besides myself has responded on the issue then you can't make that
    determination now, can you?

    "Asleep when he got his education?" Ok, then what does that have to do with "US
    education?"

    It was "badly written" for you because *you* had trouble understanding it.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.
    Nope I understood it just fine. Did you notice that I didn't call into question
    the Danish education system, assuming that is where you are from?

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  12. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    This should of cours be:

    I would, if I cared about knowing how to speak and write Dutch, but I don't.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  13. Michael

    Steve Young Guest

    well, he coulda been lookin for a digital camera when he encountered this curt
    treatment :)))

    (though, I'm not so sure it'd be Spanish he'd be complaining about ;)

    Steve Young, Dec 24, 2003
  14. Michael

    Azzz1588 Guest

    Thats because ethe English were too busy pushing the indians out
    of the way at the time.

    Interesting in that of all the countries that came to the "new world"
    The English set over people to populate the region, wheras the
    french and spanish sent over people to extract the wealth from the
    America's. It was only a matter of time before the English won
    control over the land via population density, and numbers.....
    Hence winning control over the natural resources.

    Azzz1588, Dec 24, 2003
  15. ---------

    I know, Paul, I am just down the road from you in the N of England...just
    down the road globally speaking, that is. I do some Italian; French: Dutch
    and Spanish. I do English too, both British and American idiom. Guess I am
    what you might call a cultural chameleon as I tend to blend in to what ever
    place I find myself working by learning some of the language - but even back
    home in English speaking countries I am neither surprised nor put off by the
    fact that not everyone speaks my preferred language.

    Lesson 1
    En: You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona
    Es: Usted lo tendrá que dispensar, él es de Barcelona

    Lesson 2
    En: The line is from the British television programme Faulty Towers
    Es: La línea es del programa televisivo inglés Torres Defectuosas
    ("defective towers" in literal translation - Spanish has no exact substitute
    for the En word "faulty" = Es literal "defectivo" = En exact "defective")

    Then again, I learned spoken Spanish in the Ecuadorian and Colombian manner
    of speaking with a smattering of Cuban, Mexican. Peruvian, Argentinean and
    Puerto Rican local usage and slang thrown in. They don't use, for example,
    the "th" sound as you might hear it in Spain. But I manage.

    Rather than complain I prefer to understand.

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Dec 24, 2003
  16. -----------

    Probably the most sensible thing said.
    I am (an arrogant bastard) but I don't bare my teeth, or bite, too often -
    only on occasions reserved usually for culturally deprived Americans. LOL

    My point was just as yours is, that sniping at a poster because of their
    language difficulty is OT. I might not be seeing all the posts as BY has
    been having problems, and still is, with both the text and binary news
    servers for the last few days not updating from the usenet feeds.

    Rather than complain I prefer to understand. To shape opinion in others you
    must have one yourself.

    Feliz Navidad
    Noël joyeux
    Fröhliches Weihnachten
    Il buon Natale
    Vrolijke Kerstmis
    Natal feliz
    Lystig Jul
    Happy Christmas

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Dec 24, 2003
  17. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    replied by mail

    Paul Heslop, Dec 24, 2003
  18. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    I used to get bugged by that 'th' sound when watching spanish channels on
    satellite. My favourite language for me not to understand was German. I felt I
    was grasping that pretty reasonably before I lost all the german channels too.
    I've never been further than London in my life so any other languages I here are
    on tv or occasionally on the street. I have listened to how Indians/pakistanis
    speak since I was a kid and it still sounds like a lot of letters thrown in the
    air and arranged into words as they fell.

    Paul Heslop, Dec 24, 2003
  19. Michael

    Sloopy Guest

    Tee-hee. Oh, yes, tell me about how well they did with the basics, such
    as a written language.

    Sorry, but the people Columbus and he rest found were, for the most
    part, closer to cavemen than modern man, developmentally. That's why the
    poor sods were such easy pickings.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Dec 24, 2003
  20. Michael

    Steve Young Guest

    Looks like you're in the holiday spirit Tony
    (as I noticed none of your usual foul language;)

    Steve Young, Dec 24, 2003