    over to India as well. AFAIK 100% of Dell's level 1 support is now in
    India.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    The same thing is happening in the states too, ask Michael Moore.

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
    If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
    to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
    has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
    unofficial official language.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    And what do people from other cultures not speaking english have to do with
    photography?

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    Should it count as Spanish if you leave the accents out? I just got
    an email from someone that was talking about one thing but the meaning
    of the word she actually used was "breast."

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    please pick up some garbage he had just thrown onto the pavement and the
    It would have been hilarious if he told the off in Spanish. I would
    of phrased it more like "I don't think that crap belongs there." I'll
    say it to everyone though, especially people throwing their cigarettes
    out the window.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    A lot. None of it twice.

    Charlie Self

    "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    Alexander Hamilton

    Charlie Self, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
    can't ever talk about some thing else. Many people responded with some good
    information and their ideas about the whole thing. It was interesting
    reading. Also, don't blame me because you read some thing that didn't have
    anything to do with photography. I made sure my subject in the original post
    was accurate and you still read it. Not my fault, sorry.

    Michael, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Eric Witte notes:
    'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians, Scots,
    Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without ANY
    help from the government.

    Charlie Self, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Michael

    Chris Quinn Guest

    I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of the land
    that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    Chris Quinn, Dec 23, 2003
  11. <snip>

    I see prejudice in your posting. When I grew up in Brooklyn (I was born in
    1925), I would bicycle from one neighborhood to another, and in most of them
    I'd hear a language other than English spoken in the streets. Only one of
    my four grandparents spoke more than a few words of English. In one
    generation, everyone spoke English. It is no different with today's
    immigrants.

    Before we moved four years ago, we lived in a community with a large nunber
    of Hispanics. About 40% of the schoolchildren were listed as Hispanic. I
    saw that the parents were hard working and very much family oriented. I
    went to high school graduations even after all my children were out of
    school because I was on the school board. Each year, I saw a growing
    percentage of the Hispanic graduates going on to college.

    The melting pot still works. Celebrate the American heritage.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Michael

    George Kerby Guest

    ee cummings?

    George Kerby, Dec 23, 2003
  13. If there are ony Scotts listening then translate this, "Facts
    are Cheals that will nae ding".

    I and about ten others nearly failed part of our college exam
    because the Maths instructor had such a heavy Indian accent. We were
    recoursed and re-sat the exam a month later and all passed. This guy
    was a Flight Leutenant in the RAF's No: 1 School of Technical
    Training. That happend 41 years ago too. So this ain't nuffin noo.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Michael

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Que?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Ron Hunter wrote in part:

    It's pretty grating, but in this one case I can sympathize with the
    President.

    Having grown up with a Southern accent, where a lot of r sounds are
    softened up even more than the overcooked turnip greens at the Shoney's
    buffet, I have a tough time enunciating Spanish properly due to all the
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. My tongue just doesn't move that fast.

    (Wait a minute. Do I want to post a message with the string "my tongue
    just doesn't move that fast" forever attached to my name in google and
    other searchable news archives? Let me think ... Am I likely to be
    apllying for a job associated with the Southern Baptist Convention? No.
    CHECK. Do I plan to run for political office here in Talibama? No.
    CHECK. Okay.)

    Anyway, I also hear that a lot of people learning to speak English well
    have the worst time with "th" and the short u. It's not easy to learn to
    speak, spell, and write English, especially as an adult.

    Remember GHOTI spells fish.

    On the other hand, it's amazing how flexible English is. You can make
    yourself understood if you come close to the right pronunciations,
    without worrying quite so much about word order and gender.

    I used to be quiet the English scholar; untill I started poasting on USENET

    Don't like, put me in a box, man.

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Dear troll,

    I have no idea what newsgroups this rant would be on-topic in, but a
    photography group isn't one of them.

    Please try harder next time!

    Cheers,

    Lionel.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  17. Michael

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Que?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    You think the original post is even slightly on-topic in a photgraphy
    newsgroup?

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Too true. It's very difficult to learn a new language after about 10
    years of age or so. I lived for about a year in Hong Kong during the
    dotcom boom, & learnt less than a dozen words of Chinese. On the bright
    side, I got *really* good at expressing myself with signs, & learnt to
    speak English with a Chinese accent, which is vitally important if you
    want your cab to end up on the correct side of the island.
    I felt much the same way until I found myself in the position of
    actually having to do it. I, like most people, am lazy & found it much
    simpler to hang out with other English speakers, rather than learn the
    local language properly. Since then, I've been much more sypathetic
    towards immigrants who find it difficult to pick up English.
    Not a thing. I'm guessing that the OP is one of the latest batch of
    trolls.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Not exactly. English may be the more common language, but Spanish is
    mandatory, and English is NOT. Children who speak Spanish are NOT
    required to learn English. The government is NOT required to print
    notices in English. It DOES, but there is no legal requirement that
    spells out such a requirement.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003