No Mouse, PCI comunication yellow flag. IRQs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbbss, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    We have a second computer for the kids with win98 Pavilion 6630, 500mhz,
    128ram, 20gig hd. Now we have a problem with the computer. I think our
    1 year old has pressed the on/off switch too many times in a row. I am
    not sure when and how it actually happened, but now I have no mouse arrow
    and only 16 colors. The sound is working though. So I reinstalled
    win98 over top of the old one. I still have all my old icons. I even
    tried to switch to a usb mouse but no luck.
    I reinstalled the video drivers, now video is fine. There is a yellow
    flag by the ps/s mouse, one for pci communication device. Any ideas what
    the problem could be, or where can I start looking. It is awkward to try
    to do anything in windows when you have no mouse. Thanks

    btw: this is what the irq setting are set to
    (don't mind the spelling, it's not exact but you get the idea)
    3 things assigned on IRQ 15.

    1-keyboard
    2.program interupt controller
    3.Intel 8020 .... graphics controller.
    3.irq holder pci steering
    4.communication port. Com1
    5.crystal audio.. codec device
    6.floppy
    7.printer
    8. cmos clock
    9.crystal audio codec
    9.Intel cm 8201ab .. bus controller
    9 irq holder for pci steering
    10. mpu-401 compatible sound
    11.usb Intel 8208 host controller
    11.irq holder pci steering
    12.ps/2 compatible mouse
    13. Numeric data processor
    14.intel8208 busmaster id controller
    14.primary ide controller (fifo)
    15.busmaster id controller
    15.secondary id controller dual (fifo)
    btw: i tried usb mouse and ps/2, but does not make a difference.

    I tried deleting most non essential items in device manager to see if
    anything is conflating with the mouse but did not help.

    lbbss, Dec 2, 2004

  2. lbbss

    Jerry G. Guest

    Uninstall the part where you have the yellow explanation or question mark.
    Restart the machine, and when it asks about the new hardware, insert the CD
    disk that is for the mouse. Let the computer find and install the mouse
    driver.

    You can also install the mouse software that came with the mouse before
    doing the above. This way, when you do the above, the operating system
    should normally find the driver on its own.

    If you do not have the software for your mouse, you can go the mouse
    manufacture site and download it. You must only know the model type of the
    mouse, to know what to download.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 2, 2004

  3. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Why would I need mouse drivers? When I first setup this computer from
    scratch, I never had to install mouse drivers, and it worked fine. I
    will give it a try though.

    lbbss, Dec 2, 2004