    to do it. I need to get this working as the option to replace the
    purchase is problematic as I live miles from the store.
    Big Thanks In Advance for any help offered....

    El.Plates, Nov 25, 2007

  2. It would be very rare to not have an ethernet adapter. Make sure that this
    is really true. I am sceptical. If that is true,...then buy one. USB is
    the worst choice but is better than nothing. Once the Belkin is configured
    you won't use it and should leave it disconnected.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Hi
    May be you want to describe in general what you are planning to do.
    You have a PC getting the Internet for a Modem/Router? What do you need the
    Belkin for?
    In any case, any Wireless Router would need to be connected first with cable
    in order to set it correctly.
    So as posted above, look carefully for a wired LAN plug at the back of your
    computer (It is also called Ethernet, or RJ-45).
    If you are sure that there is No LAN output, and you do not want to open
    your computer and install one, you can buy this, connect it to the USB and
    get a Ethernet wire connection to the Wireless Router.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833129104
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2007
  4. El.Plates

    Lazz Guest

    El.Plates-

    I have exactly the same problem and have spent hours on the phone to Tiscali
    (India) and Belkin (India) who struggle to understand English and vice versa.
    I am now told that despite having an Ethernet connection in the rear of my PC
    that I have attached to the router recently purchased that because only ADSL
    Modem and not a Lan is displayed under: Control Panel > 'Internet
    Connections' that I need to take my PC to the Manufacturer/a repair shop?? Is
    there a simpler solution than this??

    Regards,

    Lazz

    Lazz, Dec 7, 2007
  5. El.Plates

    Jim Guest

    To keep strangers from changing the router setup, many routers will only
    accept setup commands via an ethernet port.
    In the as delivered state, my Linksys routers was an exception. I have
    since disabled access to the router software
    from a wireless connection.

    Most routers come with a CD which will setup a router through an ethernet
    port. Regardless of how you actually
    input the commands to the router, it must be done through the ethernet
    connection. If your PC does not have such
    a port (must be quite old), then you must buy a PCI or USB ethernet adapter.

    Have either of you tried to access the your routers by entering 192.168.1.1
    in Internet Explorer? That is method that
    the CDs use.

    Jim

    Jim, Dec 7, 2007