    the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
    either my laptop or second desktop.

    It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Jeff --

    I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    problem.

    Bob

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The live chat tech suggested that I remove it at the router end -- and that
    is what I did. On the client end the card detected the router as
    "non-secure" which is, of course, appropriate.

    Bob

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
    experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that we're
    experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is that there
    doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread going in a
    non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be the way I'm
    implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears fruit.

    Bob

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Jeff --

    MAYBE I have an answer to at least my problem -- I'm not sure about yours.
    In setting up wireless security, I misread/misunderstood how I was supposed
    to generate a key. I was typing in a passphrase and generating a series of
    hex keys. Then when I configured the card I was entering the passphrase
    rather than one of the hex values. I reread the documentation and I can see
    how I interpreted it in the manner in which I did.

    Bob

    Guest, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Bob,
    With your routers manufacturer the "key" process is different. With MS
    hardware, the process is automatic. Unless I read documentation wrong, it
    appears that it must be a secure connection. Without entering the key, you
    can't move forward in the process.

    Don't forget, I have Microsoft hardware, which may account for the difference.

    Guest, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Guest

    Quaoar Guest

    Bob, check one thing: in TCP/IP properties, Advanced button, Options
    tab, TCP/IP filtering, check that ports/protocols are set to Permit All,
    not Permit None. I've run into this with a couple Linksys wireless -b
    systems that could not connect.

    Quaoar, Mar 15, 2005