No Intenet?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mory, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. mory

    mory Guest

    Hi, I am not a techie so hope that I can explain this ok.

    In our house there are two pc's in the same room belonging to my daughter &
    myself.

    My pc has XP Home installed & I have just upgraded my daughters pc to ME
    from 98SE.

    A few weeks before upgrading her pc I bought a router & connected her pc to
    the router via a cable & she had no problem accessing the internet.

    Since the upgrade, every time she tries to access the internet she gets a
    page not available message.

    Her connection to the router seems to be ok, when she switches her pc on the
    red light on her connection to the router flashes a few times & then becomes
    solid.

    I would be most grateful for any suggestions as to how I can fix this.

    Best regards & thanks for taking the time.

    Mory.

    mory, Mar 12, 2005

  2. mory

    Gordon Guest

    mory wrote:
    || Hi, I am not a techie so hope that I can explain this ok.
    || In our house there are two pc's in the same room belonging to my
    || daughter & myself.
    || My pc has XP Home installed & I have just upgraded my daughters pc
    || to ME from 98SE.

    Why? Why not XP? ME was the WORST windows EVER.

    Gordon, Mar 12, 2005

  3. mory

    DC Guest

    mory wrote:

    [...]
    ME is *not* an upgrade.

    DC, Mar 12, 2005
  4. mory

    WormWood Guest

    In addition to what Gordon said, Win98se is the best OS, not including
    XP.

    WormWood, Mar 12, 2005
  5. mory

    Punchy Joe Guest

    Format and go back to 98se i think is the basic advice....
    .....its what i would do,. Windows Mellenium was never given a chance to take
    off and got totally buried by Windows XP - plus its shite anyway.

    Punchy Joe, Mar 13, 2005
  6. mory

    Jerry G. Guest

    Your problem has to do with the network setup in ME. ME has a lot of
    problems. You went to a downgrade with ME. Reformat the drive, and put back
    98. Work from there to get things working again.

    If you decide to with with XP on an older machine, you will most likely have
    to put the machine up to 512 mb of RAM at the very minimum to have efficient
    results.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry G.
    ============

    Jerry G., Mar 13, 2005
  7. ....W2K, and a bunch of non-MS operating systems.

    That reminder that there are OSs besides MS OSs aside, do you believe
    W98 to be better than W2K?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2005
  8. mory

    Watcher111 Guest

    <snip>

    I have found that Windows ME by default does not have the TCP-IP protocols
    installed. go to network connections | right click the Local Area Connection
    | properties | click the install button.. choose protocol | click the Add
    button | find and select the TCP-IP protocol (might say Microsoft TCP/IP) |
    Click OK... you may need your windows ME OS disk for it to locate the
    protocol and install it, so have that CD handy.

    Personally I would rather have my fingernails pulled out then use WinME as
    my OS.

    Hope this helps

    Watcher111

    Watcher111, Mar 13, 2005
  9. mory

    Plato Guest

    1. Make sure that the proper network protocols are installed for
    internet access

    2. You might have to upgrade the network card's drivers as you now have
    a new OS

    Plato, Mar 13, 2005
  10. mory

    elaich Guest

    I don't have the Intenet on my computer either. j/k

    ME didn't find the network card. Go to Settings>Control Panel>System>Device
    Manager and look for hardware with a large yellow question mark beside it.

    If you double click on it, you most likely see that "this device does not
    need drivers or no drivers are installed."

    Anyway, you'll likely have to identify the hardware using a tool like
    Belarc Advisor, and search for the driver online. The driver was probably
    proprietary and is not on the Windows disk.

    If you're going to run ME, look at this site.

    www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html

    Once ME is properly set up, it blows the doors off Win98. I have 98 on my
    box as a dual boot, only because Microsoft Office is installed there. It
    boots slower, crashes more often and is incredibly stupid compared to ME.
    The only time I ever boot it is to use Office.

    HTH.

    elaich, Mar 14, 2005
  11. Blinky the Shark, Mar 14, 2005