No Input On Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trendon, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. Trendon

    Trendon Guest

    I hope you can help because I have no idea what to do.

    Lost my main monitor due to water damage (computer miraculously saved)
    and had to go grab a used one; a 21" Sony Trinitron MultiScan G500. The
    monitor works. I saw it work on the guy's computer I bought it from. I
    plug it in (using HD15) and it complains there is no input. I made sure
    that the pins were secure on both ends of the monitor cable.

    It isn't the video card or slot because another monitor, a friend's I
    borrowed to test, works fine.

    I also don't believe it is the monitor cable because, like I said, I saw
    it work at the person's house.

    The only thing that I can think of, and it doesn't make sense, is he was
    using it on a Mac and had the appropriate adapter. Doesn't sound right
    to me, but that's why I am here asking questions ... what do I know? :)

    Thanks

    Trendon, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Trendon

    Evan Platt Guest

    So it worked, then you brought it home, and it doesn't?

    Try it on another computer.

    Look at the pins, make sure none are bent.

    Evan Platt, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Trendon

    Cub Guest

    it has a switch to select an alternate input, most large monitors have RGB
    bnc connectors + 15pin I'm sure the switch will be set wrong

    Cub

    Cub, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Trendon

    SgtMinor Guest

    Go to this site to download the manual for your monitor:
    http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp?src=sonysupport

    Then read pages 16 - 18 to learn how to troubleshoot your monitor.

    The fact that you see absolutely nothing is not encouraging. At
    the very least, your monitor should show a message, like "No Input
    Signal" or "Out of Scan Range."

    SgtMinor, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Trendon

    Cub Guest

    Can't you read idiot

    OP = " and it complains there is no input"

    Cub, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Trendon

    SgtMinor Guest

    Thanks for that valuable comment, Cub. I'm obviously not as
    observant as you are.

    SgtMinor, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Trendon

    JANA Guest

    Try starting the computer in safe mode, to see if the monitor can see the
    most basic possible drive from the computer.

    Generally speaking, if the monitor does not work, then check to see if there
    are any input settings on the monitor for MAC, or PC, or RGB. Make sure the
    monitor is in the PC setting.

    I have seen monitors that will only work on a MAC, and not a PC, and also
    the other way around. Normally, a high end monitor should be able to work on
    most any type of computer.

    Being a used monitor, I hope you paid very little for it. The picture tubes
    in these monitor have a limited lifespan. After about 3 to 5 years, they
    start to go soft.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Trendon

    Trendon Guest

    And it works. Works on every computer but mine and every monitor works
    on my computer, spanning 3 different video cards. It is the strangest
    thing I've ever seen.

    The only thing I haven't tried is swapping monitor cables, but at this
    point in time I gave up. I just traded the Multiscan G500 for some BS
    Gateway 15" job for this week, then I'll go splurge next week on a nice one.

    Thanks for all the replies, though.

    None are.

    Trendon, Aug 10, 2006