  1. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    Quite. But not only fun; that was just an example.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    I love it. Excellent answer. Thank you for that.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006

  3. No, but when the whole world is ag'in you.... (O;
    Relevance escapes me... Rather than discuss your philosophy, maybe we
    should stick to the basic point in question. See below.
    Feel free to tell us which leap comes from this thread...
    That may be the case. I apologise if I have misunderstood you. But
    you still have avoided the very basic question:

    Do you think your shooting style and subjects are irrelevant, or less
    important than subjective opinions (from people who may have entirely
    different needs to you)?
    What was aggressive? Read it carefully again, and take the sneer out
    of your reading voice. (O;
    Which I puzzled about and asked, but you still haven't explained why.
    Oh well.
    Call me dopey (plenty have) but I don't get it. By giving you a poor
    analogy about vehicles, I helped? - May I refresh your memory on what
    you replied with:
    Is it any wonder I didn't understand your 'motivation'? Are you
    actually seeking a recreational vehicle? (O; Lighten up and stop
    talking in riddles.
    Do you mean that you now agree that you should consider your subjects
    and shooting style? If so, why not say so?
    Indeed. (O;
    Damn? Or did I agree with others, try to reinforce their point,
    educate and suggest? Your turn to be the judge.
    (aka - I want the last word?)

    Oh dear. You mean I should erase all the above, and never return
    because I annoy you, and accept that you are lord and master of this
    public forum? Forgive my final outburst of sarcasm (or not)..

    (((O:

    mark.thomas.7, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    Which is my right as you began the unpleasantries.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Ok, but it must be obvious from what I've written that I can't answer that
    That's a bit backward from how most would view such purposes. Normally you
    don't look for something that's cool and *then* figure out what to do with
    it. The usual process is to find a tool that fits a need or desire. But in
    your case the need or desire seems to have more to do with having a cool
    camera rather than what to do with it?

    In that event, you need to tell us what you think is cool in a camera. Do
    you want something that has entirely automatic features, or would you rather
    have manual control over everything? That might be a start... or perhaps,
    since it's not really about the photos, the camera's size might be a major
    consideration. Maybe you want to know that the F10/F30 is/are just about the
    smallest size that you can easily handle; anything smaller tends to be hard
    to get sharp shots from because you don't have a good grip on it. Those are
    the sorts of things that are largely content (as in what you'd photograph)
    irrelevant.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 8, 2006
  6. Greg Loriman

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    Here's my take:

    FX01: Great lens, wide angle, very small and light, image stabilization,
    nice LCD and control set. Picture quality is very good to excellent.

    F30: Better at high ISO, but you need it because of the lack of image
    stabilization. No wide angle lens, nice LCD, OK controls, very good to
    excellent picture quality.

    TZ1: Very small and light for a superzoom cam, so it's not a fair comparison
    to the other two cams; it's totally different. Great lens, very good picture
    quality, no wide angle, nice LCD, nice feature set and control set.

    I made the same choice a while ago, and chose the FX01. The IS and wide
    angle were features that I really wanted, and didn't need a superzoon cam. I
    haven't regretted the decision for one second.

    Kinon O'cann, Sep 8, 2006
  7. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    You seem to be trying to guess my motivations. Its not as presumptuous as
    the other chap, but its not necessary either.
    If you don't want to answer my original question, perhaps because you don't
    understand it or have no real experience of those cameras, then don't.
    I am not looking for anything like this. I just want your story, as long or
    short as you like, and I'll gratefully make of it whatever I can.

    Greg

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  8. That's a bit backward from how most would view such purposes. Normally

    Bad habbit I guess. I make a living trying to figure out what's going to
    work best for people. If you were interested in bicycles, I could point you
    to a zillion pages on our website that would give exactly the type of
    content you're looking for. But for cameras, all I can tell you about is why
    the F30 is a *great* camera for taking photos while cycling, and that it's
    "image stabilization" mode (which forces a high shutter speed, bumping up
    the ISO as required) is exactly the ticket. I could also point out that the
    exceptional battery life is great because it's the first camera I've owned
    where I didn't have to carry extra sets of batteries.

    I could also point out a problem I've had with both an F10 and now the F30-
    dust contamination in the lens. Very annoying. Took almost a year to show up
    in the F10, but the F30 is showing it after just two months. It shows in the
    photo as a dark smear, most easily seen by taking a photo of blue sky.

    Can't compare the cameras you're looking at though, because I didn't
    consider them when I bought the F30. My requirements were reasonably-small
    size, great battery life, very fast startup times, virtually zero shutter
    lag, and high ISO with low noise. The Fuji delivers all that.
    So how'd I do? :>)

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 9, 2006
  9. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    [snip]
    Golly, thats a big one. hmmm
    Not bad. I like it, actually. No serious report of 'feelings', but I can't
    complain too much about that since you are a chap, after all. I can see that
    with an early problem of the sort you mentioned you aren't able to say "its
    useful", "its fun" etc.

    Did you use any sort of case, or did it frequently go into a pocket?

    Greg

    Greg Loriman, Sep 9, 2006
  10. Did you use any sort of case, or did it frequently go into a pocket?

    It lives in the worst-possible environment (well, not really, but perhaps
    close)- a rear jersey pocket on a bicyclist that likes to climb a lot (which
    means it's going to be dealing with a fair amount of moisture). My other
    cameras never developed issues in the same environment though (Olympus D220,
    D340L, D450, D40 and 5050Z).

    Actually, it spends more time in a belt case than anywhere else, but twice a
    week it's in a jersey pocket for two hours. Often with the lens extended,
    since that shortens the time it takes to take a photo.

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 9, 2006