No Forced Trailers - Sign the Petition!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    In Case you havn't seen the posts in the Bruce Almighty Thread.
    Then here it is again.

    Universal Studios Home Video/DVD is starting to place trailers prior to
    the main menu of their DVD's. Such as Bruce Almighty, 2 Fast 2 Furious,
    Animal House, The Hulk, among others.
    These trailers cannot be skipped or bypassed (on most DVD players). The
    consumer will have to sit and watch these trailers each time they stick
    their DVD in. Imagine 10 years later seeing "coming to theater" ads for
    movies long since put on DVD.

    We would prefer Universal (and all studios) to have their advertisement
    as a seperate menu option from the Main menu. I prefer to watch the
    trailers for other movies on my own time. Not be forced every time I
    want to watch a particular movie.

    So if you feel the same way, please sign the petition below, and help
    make a difference.

    http://www.petitiononline.com/ForceAds/petition.html

    Please forward the petition to friends who share the same views, or to
    other message groups, web groups, usenet groups etc. Contact DVD web
    sites and let them know about this, contact local news agencies,
    entertainment columnists etc. Get the word out...

    Peter, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Peter

    Nick Guest

    What region is this happening on, is it only usa?

    Nick, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Peter

    Kimani Guest

    Press stop on the FBI Warning Screen., then press either play or menu and
    voila, you skip the unskippable trailers.

    Kimani, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Peter

    Kimani Guest

    Region 1. I'm not sure about others. I first came across this when I rented
    "Scorpion King". I thought it was for rental releases only, boy was I wrong.
    I posted the workaround for that in the above post.

    Kimani, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yes, but that is NOT the point.. The point is, that this shouldn't even
    be an issue. There shouldn't be any ads at all. What happens when they
    lock that option out. And not ALL players can do this, only some. It's a
    practice that is not necessary, and shouldn't even have been started.
    The nerve of a studio locking out your remote, so you have to experiment
    to find ways around their advertisement, doesn't bother you ?

    Peter, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Peter

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Well, it does bother me, but if it keeps the price of DVDs down a little
    it might bother me less.

    dick
    --particularly if my next player has the ability to defeat lockouts

    Dick Sidbury, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Oh .. that's nothing! Here in Croatia we are under terror of
    commercials that cannot be skipped or forwarded and plays regularily
    before movie, before menu, even on menu !
    THAT is annyoying - especially because commercials has nothing common
    to movies - we usually must watch commercials for mobile phones,
    magazines, even cigaretes (which is illegal!)
    Damn mess that we trying to stop for over a year when we started
    petition and now even a site with list with the worst titles available
    here ...

    If you know Croatian, check URLs in my signature (at Brinkster.com) to
    see pages and petition ...

    Arminio Grgic, Dec 10, 2003
  8. Peter

    Mirror Spock Guest

    That doesn't work on mine...

    * Robinson

    Mirror Spock, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I don't see how it will keep the price of DVD's down. DVD prices are set
    on Supply and demand. Advertisement will be on the disc, but whether
    that advertisement is forced pre-menu style, or set off of the main menu
    doesn't make or break a dvd or a studio's profit.
    If that was the case, Universal DVD's would be ultimately much lower
    then any other studio's, and that just isn't how it is.
    I'm not saying ban advertisement from DVD's, I'm saying Don't lock our
    players out and force us to watch it.

    Peter, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Peter

    Mini Me Guest

    Rent the damn movie, stick it in your PC, run DVD-Decryptor and select
    "main movie" to extract just the movie. Burn it to a DVD-R and watch
    it.

    Mini Me, Dec 15, 2003