no connection to samba shares

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by Urs Schuerch, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. Urs Schuerch

    Urs Schuerch Guest

    When I try to browse samba shares I am stuck with this:

    $ smbclient //madura/home/data -U shareaccess
    Enter shareaccess's password:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6-86.el6_1.4]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

    I can ping client from host and host from client smbd is running on the
    remote host with the -D option

    testparm gave no errors

    my smb.conf looks like this:

    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = samba
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    load printers = no

    [data]
    comment = data directory
    path = /home/data
    writeable = yes
    public = no

    any help greatly appreciated!

    Urs

    Urs Schuerch, Jan 29, 2012

  2. Urs Schuerch

    J G Miller Guest

    First of all you should be doing a test with just

    smbclient -L madura

    and just hit <CR> at the password prompt.

    If that does not work then it means that your SAMBA server
    is not accessible from the current host.

    Just because you can ping it, does not give any indication
    if there is a firewall blocking the port 139 (netbios-ssn)
    needed for SAMBA to work properly.

    Have a look in /var/log/samba to see, after the above tests,
    if a log file log.[IP_ADDRESS_OF_CLIENT_MACHINE] has been
    created.

    If not, then probably your client machine just cannot connect for
    some reason to the SAMBA server, and if it does exist, have a look
    inside at the messages. Also check in the log.nmbd file to
    see if there was a client request from the client machine.

    J G Miller, Jan 29, 2012