no connection to invisible wireless accesspoint when visible accesspointsare present

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Wolfgang Meiners, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. Hi there,

    We have a number of notebooks (win xp, SP 2, maybe 3) at work. These
    Notebooks should connect to an accesspoint with SSID main. The SSID is
    hidden, there is no encryption or authentication. Maybe this is called
    obscurity without security.

    The Accesspoint main is marked as preferred in winxp. Usually there was
    no problem to connect to main in the past. But now, there a several
    other accesspoints near by with non hidden SSIDS. This accesspoints need
    authentication which i dont have. And of course, i want to connect to
    main. Nevertheless, winxp does connect to one of the other accesspoints
    but the connection fails. I get the message "no connectivity". Some
    times, after 10 to 15 minutes, i get suddenly connected to main, but i
    can not control this process.

    The problem is, i dont find any possibility to tell winxp, to connect to
    main, since this SSID is hidden. The list of available accesspoints only
    has visible SSIDs that i can not connect to and i dont want connect to.
    Another problem is, i dont have admin-rights on the notebooks.

    Is there any solution to this?

    Thank you for any hints
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Meiners, Nov 25, 2008

  2. Hi
    The solution is to turn On the broadcast of the SSID in the Wireless source.
    ""Maybe this is called obscurity without security"". It is actually No
    security, and No obscurity.
    Any user with minimal knowledge can find your SSID in less than a minute.
    WPA is the minimal level of acceptable security, WPA2 even better.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2008

  3. Yes of course. I knew this solution before. But it seems, the SSID
    broadcast _will not_ be turned on. This is not my decision.

    Any other idea? I ask this, because i am usually working with OSX and
    there is no problem to connect to the hidden SSID with OSX. But i dont
    get it to work with winxp.

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Meiners, Nov 25, 2008
  4. Wolfgang Meiners

    Eurofeeds Guest

    I am using another PC through the same router fine.

    Eurofeeds, Nov 25, 2008