    experience of doing it or know of reasons why I can or shouldn't do it?

    TIA

    Charles

    Charles, Apr 17, 2010

  2. Charles

    RCan Guest

    RCan, Apr 17, 2010

  3. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Hi Ramazan

    Thanks for the reply. I will check the link, but the reason for the NLB is
    several-fold. There is a web site sitting behind the virtual cluster IP, as
    well as several server apps. Ideally, I would have a couple of low-end
    servers to act as DCs, but I don't have even that luxury, unfortunately. I'm
    trying to get the DC role off a Windows Server 2003 cluster so I can do an
    upgrade (I know it shouldn't be there either, but it was the only way at the
    time).

    Charles

    Charles, Apr 18, 2010
  4. Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Apr 18, 2010
  5. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Hi Meinolf

    I've seen that article, and I agree that one shouldn't cluster DCs.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have a real choice when I did it some time ago, but
    that is what I'm trying to change now.

    The article, though, refers to putting a Windows Server Cluster onto DCs,
    whereas in my post I'm talking about putting NLB onto DCs. This is quite a
    different type of cluster, so that is why I'm asking whether it is ok and/or
    supported to do it.

    Regards

    Charles

    Charles, Apr 18, 2010
  6. Charles

    RCan Guest

    Hi Charles,

    understand - haven't tested this but if you configure the NLB to listen on
    specific ports (like 80/443) for your websites and leave the DC well known
    ports unused in the NLB port range. But again, I'm unsure if this will work
    smoothly and you should test this intensively before you it for business
    critical apps/sites.

    AND still unconfirmed if DS is supported on top of NLB ?

    PS : really no other "good old" 512MB hardware available .... :) ?

    Regards
    Ramazan

    RCan, Apr 18, 2010
  7. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Hi Ramazan

    The NLB will only be using a handful of ports, so it won't be a problem
    leaving the DC ports alone. This is a test environment, so the right place
    to be trying it out at least.

    Unfortunately, the servers I'm doing this on are hosted, rack-mounted, and
    so any additional hardware would have to be rack-mounted as well, and we'd
    have to find space in the rack or get another rack. Not straightforward,
    sadly.

    Thanks for you help.

    Cheers

    Charles