    3 alternators and still it will not charge new battery. It charges at high
    idle, but as soon as it kicks down to normal idle it stops charging. What
    could be the problem.?

    R/C Foster, Nov 26, 2007

  2. Back when you could work on your own car, they had voltage regulators,
    and IIRC supervising the charging system was one of their simple tasks.
    New ones were probably about $15. That kind of thing is now probably
    done deep in the heart of the onboard computer and that shouldn't cost
    more than a few hundred dollars to replace. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Like you say, "when you could work on your own car," I seem to remember
    from those days that alternators do *not* charge at (normal) idle, and
    never did. It takes, what?, twice idle .. 2,000 rpm or more .. before an
    alternator even begins to charge. Back in the day when we had
    *generators*, they would charge at just about any rpm.

    Foster says "It charges at high idle" so I'm thinking the Nissan is
    working as expected. Maybe the new battery is fawlty.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 26, 2007
  4. That I don't remember. I more often replaced head gaskets. :)
    Perhaps.

    Thought For The Day: There are adult drivers out there now that have
    never driven a car with a carburetor. Or ignition points.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 26, 2007
  5. Nothing. That is normal operation. If the battery starts to
    drop in voltage and requires charging, the onboard computer will
    kick in a higher idle speed.

    Christopher Jahn, Nov 26, 2007
  6. R/C Foster

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Other way around. An alternator produces power (AC) from relatively low
    revs and stays pretty constant over the full range of revs. The generator
    (DC) is the opposite.
    The OP did not say what model Nissan he had, but my old Patrol used to idle
    at around 600 rpm and the alternator was charging fine at idle.

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 26, 2007
  7. Ok, I was probably remembering something like this:
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/electrical/a/aa121000a_2.htm

    ".. Then the engine is run at 2200 to 2500 rpm and the amperage is read
    on the ammeter. The reading should be close to or at the rated amperage
    of the alternator. If it is, then it's good. If it's substantially
    lower, then it is weak and should be replaced."

    Been awhile since I crawled under a car. Last year I slipped a few bucks
    to a kid to replace the starter on my pickup. However, I did go to the
    breaker yard for the new unit. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 26, 2007
  8. R/C Foster

    nobody > Guest

    Or a manual transmission.

    nobody >, Nov 26, 2007
  9. R/C Foster

    Aardvark Guest

    Doubt it although Opel makes Vauxhall cars under their own marque and
    model names. The one we played with looked (and usually went) like the
    one in the following pic. Same wheels too. <http://www.virtualgaz.com/
    update%20nov04/MysteryPIX/0000%20-%20Vauxhall%20Chevette%201977%23.jpg>

    Aardvark, Nov 27, 2007
  10. Same thing. USan Chevrolet Chevettes:

    http://www.chevettes.com/showroom.php?section=na&page=5

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 27, 2007
  11. R/C Foster

    Aardvark Guest

    Yup! Looks the same, but Vauxhall/Opel Chevettes had a 1.3 or 1.4 litre
    engine. I shudder to think what kind of petrol-guzzling lump Chevrolet
    shoe-horned into that little engine well.

    I think Vauxhall and Opel are part of GM. Is Chevrolet part of the same
    conglomerate?

    Aardvark, Nov 27, 2007
  12. R/C Foster

    TJ Guest

    23.jpg>

    Opel had a tie-in to General Motors back in the day by way of their
    Buick Division. And that pic you posted looks an awful lot like a
    Chevrolet (also GM) Chevette.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevette

    What a piece of shit those things were. They were built to replace the
    Chevrolet Vega model which coincidentally(?) had a tendency to blow head
    gaskets due to the poor expansion/contraction properties of the aluminum
    cylinder heads.

    Speaking of alternators? That particular 4-banger ran so rough that GM
    had to install rubber grommets on both ends of the alternator pivot bolt
    in order to keep the engine vibration from causing the pivot bolt to
    loosen, which in turn ruined the drive end frame (ovaling) of the
    alternator, which in turn caused the belt to slip, which resulted in a
    dead battery even though there was nothing electrically wrong with the
    alternator.

    AND. Being that those alternators were mounted in rubber, they needed
    to be grounded externally via a wire lead bolted between the SRE (slip
    ring end) frame of the alternator and battery (-).

    Cadillac had been employing a similar type wiring scheme for many years
    prior, but only as a *secondary* means to ground since there were no
    rubber grommets used. As a result, many backyard mechanics got used to
    the fact that the "GM" ground wire wasn't needed.

    Problem was ... Even though it wasn't really "needed" on the Caddy's, it
    was an absolute necessity on the Chevettes if the alternator
    (specifically the internal voltage regulator) was going to operate
    properly.

    As to the 95 Nissan that doesn' charge properly at idle? That could be
    anything from an oversized pulley (many rebuilders do not pay attention
    to the fact that the same alternator may require a different pulley
    depending on make, model and accessories) to a defective amp/volt meter,
    to a defective diagnostician.

    TJ, Nov 27, 2007
  13. R/C Foster

    Aardvark Guest

    You seem to be a regular mine of automotive information, Teej :)

    Aardvark, Nov 27, 2007
  14. R/C Foster

    TJ Guest

    25 years in the auto-electric industry will do that to a person. :)

    I decided to switch gears (pun intended) when Snap-ON Tools and the rest
    started introducing *really* sophisticated diagnostic tools.

    TJ, Nov 27, 2007
  15. Wiki sez:

    1.4 L I4
    1.6 L I4
    1.8 L Isuzu diesel I4
    Chevrolet is a division of General Motors, one of the traditional "Big
    Three" US automakers (with Ford Motor Company and Chrysler Corporation).
    I can't keep the foreign badges straight with respect to ownership.

    As to the Chevette, Wiki sez:

    "The Chevrolet Chevette was Chevrolet's version of GM's worldwide T
    platform of the 1970s, which was also sold as the Vauxhall Chevette,
    Opel Kadett, Isuzu Gemini and the Holden Gemini, among others. The T-car
    was actually first launched in Brazil under the Chevette name in 1974,
    as a two-door sedan; the Brazilian Chevette line eventually included a
    4-door sedan, a 3-door hatchback, and a 2-door station wagon (named
    Marajó), as well as a pickup (named the Chevy 500), and was produced
    until 1994."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevette

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 27, 2007
  16. R/C Foster

    Aardvark Guest

    Now you've gone and stuffed loads of trivia I didn't need to know in my
    head and pushed out some useful stuff to make room for it.

    I just hope you're satisfied now- I think I've forgotten how to drive :)

    Aardvark, Nov 27, 2007
  17. R/C Foster

    TJ Guest

    Well, should your memory return and you find yourself behind the wheel
    of a Chevette with a battery that either explodes or goes dead time
    after time?

    I'd suggest you check the rubber grommets holding the alternator pivot
    bolt in place for drive belt slippage (dead battery)

    Or in the case of battery explosion (normally preceeded by a "rotten egg
    smell") by a few hours ... the ground wire connection between
    battery-neg (-) and the ass end of the alternator.

    A bad ground causes OVER-charging of the battery.

    The end-result of which is never good.

    TJ, Nov 27, 2007
  18. R/C Foster

    Aardvark Guest

    Mate of mine had a BMW 320i once. The battery exploded once as he pulled
    up at the pub. It was a hot summer's day and quite a few of us were
    sitting outside at the tables drinking. Scared the shit out of just about
    everyone and totally warped his bonnet (hood for the colonials :)).

    Aardvark, Nov 27, 2007
  19. R/C Foster

    TJ Guest

    Yup. BMW mounted their alternators (requiring an external ground wire) in
    the same type of rubber grommets for a while there too. They may still to
    this day. I don't know as I've been out of that line a little over ten
    years now.

    Thanks for the memories. :)

    TJ, Nov 27, 2007