    microprocessor) too. For the microprocessor version needed by the
    D200, you're still stuck with Nikon for a while.

    NiMH still wins.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 5, 2005

  2. void

    Ron Hunter Guest

    As faster processors become available, this is becoming much less of a
    factor. Some of the newer models are right up there with DSLRs in
    speed. Noise, continues to be a major factor, but should also improve
    with cheaper technology.
    May be time for a new camera in a couple of years....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 5, 2005

  3. void

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No, the rechargeable ones have some advantages over NIMH, such as
    weight, and self-discharge rates. Given a new user, the cost is comparable.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 5, 2005
  4. void

    Paul Rubin Guest

    One thing to watch out for. You can use 1.2 volt NiMH cells
    (e.g. AA's) in almost any application where you can use 1.5 volt
    alkaline cells of that size. 1.2 volts is squarely in the middle of
    the alkaline discharge curve and most equipment designed for alkalines
    should work fine at NiMH's 1.2 volts/cell.

    Rechargeable CR2's, on the other hand, are at li ion voltages (3.6 to
    4.2 volts) while normal CR2's are 3 volts. The overvoltage can
    potentially damage some equipment.

    I know some people using RCR2's in flashlights designed to use them.
    They are nice when they work, but the failure rate has been high.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 5, 2005
  5. void

    SMS Guest

    Yes, in many cases this is true.

    There are constant inquiries along the lines of "why should I buy a
    D-SLR when I can buy a camera with an integrated lens that goes from
    wide-angle to telephoto." These inquiries show that many people are not
    looking at the big picture when it comes to selection criteria, because
    they don't understand the desirable attributes of a D-SLR, unrelated to
    the ability to use different lenses. The biggest issues are shutter lag,
    and image quality. The latter is due to the much larger pixel pitch of
    even the lowest-end D-SLRs.

    Of course not everyone falls into this category. Some people are
    choosing between a compact point and shoot and a "zlr" and wouldn't
    consider a D-SLR no matter what. But there's definitely a group that
    believes that they're getting some sort of an SLR, just with an
    integrated lens.

    SMS, Dec 5, 2005
  6. void

    SMS Guest

    No you're not. The D200 isn't even on the market yet, so it'll be a
    while before anyone is stuck buying Nikon batteries. After-market
    batteries always lag the release of a new product by a few months,
    unless of course the battery was used in previous products.

    It speaks volumes of the weakness of your position that you are harping
    on the cost of a battery for a product that you cannot even buy yet,
    since you are well aware that after-market batteries don't appear for a
    few months after a product is released. Since the D200 battery requires
    a micro-controller, it may take a bit longer, I guess we'll see. I
    estimate four months after the product is actually released.

    SMS, Dec 5, 2005
  7. void

    SMS Guest

    Except that someone mentioned that one of the cameras that can use CR2
    batteries needed three of them. So if you want two sets of batteries,
    you need six batteries, and two chargers, to charge a complete set at once.

    It's a better choice than NiMH, but definitely not at a comparable cost.

    SMS, Dec 5, 2005
  8. void

    Paul Rubin Guest

    But you can buy the battery today.
    In my experience it's been more than a few months.
    SMS predicts aftermarket batteries for the D200 will be available
    4 months after the D200 is released (supposedly December 21, 2005).
    So in May 2006 we will know whether SMS is FOS. Wait, we already
    know that. But we'll know yet another way. SMS does not predict
    how much this replacement aftermarket D200 battery is going to cost.
    We'll see about that too--if the battery shows up at all.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 5, 2005
  9. void

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Using three rechargeable CR2's in a D70/D100/D200 may be asking for
    trouble. It's better to use two. Or modify the MS-D70 to hold two
    larger rechargeable li ion cells like 18500's.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 5, 2005
  10. void

    SMS Guest

    Cute. Speak for yourself, since almost every other poster in this thread
    has pointed out that you are the one that has made all the incorrect
    statements.

    And BTW, the battery is NOT yet available, at least not from B&H or
    Adorama, the two most reputable NY dealers.
    Since the electronics cost about $2, I'd predict that the after-market
    batteries hit the market at about $25, and fall to $20 after a year.

    Nikon EL-EN3E batteries are $40 from B&H and Adorama (on their web site
    but not yet available). On a $1700 camera, the difference between an
    after-market battery and an OEM battery is lost in the noise (plus you
    can use AA batteries with the vertical grip).

    Yes, it is possible that after-market batteries never show up, but I've
    already found one vendor selling the EN-EL3E after-market battery for
    $26, so I think I'm pretty safe with my prediction.

    SMS, Dec 5, 2005
  11. void

    SMS Guest

    You can find the answers you need at "http://nordicgroup.us/battery"

    SMS, Dec 5, 2005
  12. void

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Uh, better check your computer, your monitor must be upside down if
    you think you saw something like that. You are the one who has been
    corrected over and over.
    Nikon has apparently been sending out EN-EL3e's as replacements for
    recalled EN-EL3's.
    We shall see.
    YOU do not get to decide what other people think a significant price
    difference is. The availability of the AA grip (and the MS-D70) is
    precisely because customers wanted an escape route from the
    proprietary batteries.
    Where? And what happened to the price parity with $10 worth of NiMH?
    Actually $5 worth since you're counting off-brands for lithium.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 6, 2005