Nikon's D200 posted, and removed... D200, $1699 how about that...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005

  2. ThomasH

    GTO Guest

    Can this be? It says it's a 10.2 MPixel CCD. I thought it will be a 12MP
    CMOS.

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 28, 2005

  3. So far all that has been made "official" are the images. Everything
    else-spec, price, the brightness of the viewfinder- is net speculation: some
    of it educated, yes, but nevertheless speculation.

    Personally I wouldn't even fall on my ass if it turned out to be another 6mp
    CCD ;-)

    Martin

    Martin Francis, Oct 28, 2005
  4. ThomasH

    GTO Guest

    A SONY what? CMOS or CCD?

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 28, 2005
  5. It's a Sony.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005
  6. ThomasH

    GTO Guest

    I would love a 6MP LBCAST CCD in the D200. Same pixel-size as the D70.
    Better performance. That would be a dream come true for a DX format camera.

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 28, 2005
  7. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    Probably, like before... But lets wait a bit, maybe the wait
    is over, this time for real. I was about damn time.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005
  8. ThomasH

    [BnH] Guest

    CCD :D

    isn't it great ? :) hopefully they fix the image processing algorithm. The
    sony ones looks horrible.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Oct 28, 2005
  9. ThomasH

    Skip M Guest

    Why? 35mm sized sensor, 12.8mp, 3fps vs. 1.5x crop, 10.8mp and 5fps in crop
    mode (which implies a 2x crop like the D2X)? Not really a competitor.
    More like the D2X is going to have to drop in price.
    Besides, how many people with extensive Canon lens collections are going to
    switch to a camera with less resolution, smaller sensor just because it's
    cheaper?

    Skip M, Oct 28, 2005
  10. ThomasH

    Pete D Guest

    Of course they wont do that but will buy a D200 instead of a 5D because of
    the price.

    Pete D, Oct 28, 2005
  11. ThomasH

    Chris Brown Guest

    This is competing with the 20D, not the 5D. They're in different segments.
    Canon's answer to this camera will be whatever replaces the 20D, which I
    guess we'll see sometime in the spring. As Kodak have discontinued their own
    full-frame cameras, the 5D doesn't really have any competition at present.

    Chris Brown, Oct 28, 2005
  12. ThomasH

    Darrell Guest

    Nikon and Canon marketing strategy is "leakvertising" some quick examples,
    Canon 20D... leaked, Nikon Germany's webmaster "leaked" the D70s and D50
    manuals ... Now both Nikon UK, and Nikon USA webmasters leaked the "press
    photo package (UK) and USA the flash page. The USA page IMHO was a
    placeholder or test page, as I believe because of economy of scale the D200
    will use the 12.4 megapixel CMOS from the D2X, not the 10.3 Sony CCD as the
    page would imply.

    The 5D is a 12.4 megapixel 24x36mm CMOS the D200 is a 12.4 megapixel DX 23.7
    x 15.7 mm CMOS sensor. I suspect the page that "leaked" was a mock-up to
    test on-line. I can't see Nikon going to a slightly smaller 21.5 x 14.4 mm
    CMOS sensor (1.7X FOV).

    Darrell, Oct 28, 2005
  13. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    Definitely not, but here the opinions will vary.
    This might be so for someone who values full frame sensor, I do
    not, not at all. Having a choice I grab the smaller sensor.
    I like to have the same glass longer, kind of like with a 1.4
    converter, but sharper... we have now the great 10mm lenses to
    get the wide angle, I just wait for a shift lens with 10-15mm.
    My 28mm becomes a bot too narrow on an APS sized sensor.

    Anyway, for me EOS-5D is ergonomically flawed, like the EOS-20D.
    Lack of controls of the left side is strange. I consider EOS-5D
    a EOS-30 or EOS-Elan on steroids. Again, its my opinion.

    The D200 looks promising. Assume you are about to shoot and
    look at your target, but something might go wrong (too dark,
    wrong white balance setting etc.) On the D200 you see the
    settings on the left, in Nikon manner. Press the button while
    looking at your image, correct that ISO or the WB with the
    wheel, and shoot.

    Do that with the EOS-20D! I returned it because of its
    controls. Just change the ISO, describe the number of steps
    which you have to do, including taking the camera down and
    looking at the LCD display. Geniuses at work... And the
    EOS-5D is not a replacement for my EOS-3, however someone
    said recently that this selection wheel on the left used to
    be on a few older Canons in the same place and might please
    long term Canon users. Well, I am not, I use EOS-3, which
    has EOS-1 like controls on the left. Even these were a bit
    strange because you would have to memorize the two-button
    combinations and find them properly with your fingers.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005
  14. They can most likely sell *me* a D200 for that price. Although I'll
    also have to buy new flash equipment at that point (one of the big
    flaws in my Fuji S2 is the TTL flash performance; typical for that
    generation of digital, the D100 wasn't much better, but still
    annoying; and my SB-28 and SB-80dx don't as I understand it support
    the new method that actually works with DSLRs).

    Meanwhile, the benefits of competition accrue to the Canon users this
    time :).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 28, 2005
  15. ThomasH

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    I only wish I had a 20D, but according to the
    following page, changing ISO should not be too tough...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page7.asp

    irax.

    Iraxl Enb, Oct 28, 2005
  16. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    Someone has "salvaged" this flash code and shows it to the public!

    http://www.christianmusicianradio.com/d200/

    Fascinating, take a look before Nikon will possibly get upset
    and force removal of this flash-ad! I made for my reading
    full size screen dumps of all entries...

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005
  17. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    It sure is not to tough, however you need to look at the
    LCD display! Make a test at a camera dealer, try to see
    how many seconds you will need to (say) bump your ISO
    from 400 to 1600 or vice versa!

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Oct 28, 2005
  18. ThomasH

    Skip M Guest

    Heck, they'll buy a 20D instead of the 5D because of the price. And if the
    D200 comes in at the rumored price, they just might buy a 20D or Minolta 7D
    instead of that, too...
    I'd be willing to bet that very few of the 5D purchasers are first time DSLR
    buyers. And probably not many D200 buyers, either.

    Skip M, Oct 28, 2005
  19. ThomasH

    GTO Guest

    Nikon shall just pay this guy to run the ads for them. Since Nikon needs
    anyway at least three to four months before you can deliver after they
    "officially" announce the D200 (see example with D2X), they may as well just
    build the camera described on that site and announce that thing. I am slowly
    tired of watching Canon users buy new equipment with a smile that is bigger
    than the sky slipstream while I dream on and save money for the D2X. - Hey,
    what happened to "Dreams come true"? ;-)

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 28, 2005
  20. ThomasH

    Skip M Guest

    Just a point of information, Thomas, you can see the ISO through the
    viewfinder on the 5d when you press the ISO button.
    OTOH, not many of the old manual cameras had as much info in the viewfinder
    as modern SLRs to, and everybody got along just fine...

    Skip M, Oct 28, 2005