    review of the lens.

    Thanks

    Alan

    AK, Sep 24, 2005

  2. I found it to be a great lightweight, compact,sharp easy to handle lens with
    a great zoom range.
    Pricewise they are a good value.

    George Firestone, Sep 24, 2005

  3. AK

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Ed Ruf, Sep 24, 2005
  4. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks!

    AK, Sep 24, 2005
  5. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks - a very fair review, I thought - looks like I'll spring for this
    lens!

    AK, Sep 24, 2005
  6. It's a great lens, I'm really pleased with mine :)
    I wouldn't call it light at 1340g (nearly 3 lb), but I'm happy to haul it
    round, it's so versatile, and it's sharp!
    There's a review on Thom's site.....
    http://www.bythom.com/80400VRlens.htm

    Good luck

    Andy
    -=Plane Mad=-

    -=Plane Mad=-, Sep 24, 2005
  7. AK

    Ed Ruf Guest

    You are welcome. FWIW, I chose the combo of the 70-200mm ED IF AF-S VR and
    TC-20EII teleconverter. This has the advantage of the faster lens when
    needed, but the disadvantage if adding/removing the TC to get the full zoom
    range.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 25, 2005
  8. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks - the review is very interesting - Thom points out the slow
    focusing - have you found that a problem? I have a similar slow focus issue
    with a Sigma 70 - 300 macro APO lens, but without the VR the longer focal
    lengths seem pretty unusuable except in very bright light so that I can set
    a high shutter speed, or when I use the lens on a tripod at maximum zoom.
    I'm hoping that at the wider apertures this will be sharper than the Sigma,
    which does a very good job on macro and above f/8.
    Alan

    AK, Sep 25, 2005
  9. AK

    GTO Guest

    On a D70? Fine. On a D2X? Get the 70-200 with a good teleconverter. Nothing
    beats the 70-200 VR at the moment. People with D70 usually need to watch
    their wallet more carefully and often require a lighter package. A heavy 1.2
    kg camera on the back of the 80-400 could cause too much vibrations when
    using it on a tripod. But vibration induction is tricky issue. Remember, the
    VR on this lens does not work when mounted on a good tripod.

    I would benchmark this lens against the 70-200 with a 1.4x teleconverter.
    Beyond 300mm, the 70-200 and the 80-400 tends to get soft. Nothing like the
    400mm f2.8 (see http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/40028afi.htm). At 400mm,
    the difference is tremendous. But at 200mm, you are in pretty good shape
    with the Nikon zooms.

    Gregor

    GTO, Sep 26, 2005