Nikon should (should have) made the D9300 40MP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 16, 2014.

  1. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, May 18, 2014

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i never said it was fact.
    yes, you do.
    wow, talk about twisting things.

    Guest, May 18, 2014

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the d7100 has two memory slots and custom user configurations. i'm
    pretty sure it can control multiple banks of flashes since it can be an
    ittl commander but i haven't looked into that.

    have you even used a d7100?

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  4. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    One major difference is that the D300 uses a CompactFlash card only,
    and the D300S uses a CompactFlash and a SD card.

    Tony Cooper, May 18, 2014
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Words have meaning
    Whoosh

    PeterN, May 18, 2014
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    :
    : > You've made a fairly compelling case for your interpretation of Nikon's
    : > current numbering system (and have thereby, I guess we're supposed to believe,
    : > shed some light on one of the major mysteries of the 21st century). But to
    : > call your conclusions "facts" dignifies them a bit too much, IMO.
    :
    : i never said it was a fact. nikon could at any time change their tune
    : and do something entirely different. however, the chances of that are
    : exceedingly low.

    Well, somebody thought you passed your conclusion off as fact, and a couple of
    comments about fact checking ensued.

    : more of the usual let's twist what he says and bash.

    I don't recall bashing you. I'd concede that the evidence, such as it is,
    suggests that you may well be right (that Nikon has changed their naming
    convention). I just don't think you've proved it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 19, 2014
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 19, 2014
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 19, 2014
  9. RichA

    Sandman Guest

    I know, which is why I am asking why you're demanding "proof" of nospam's
    speculation? That's what I don't understand. You keep saying that he hads
    claimed knowledge about Nikon's naming convention when he has done no such
    thing, and you demand proof. I just don't get it.
    That's how rumors work.
    Of course there isn't, if there was, it wouldn't be a rumor.
    *What* does he *seem* to know, mr Duck?? You keep claiming that nospam has
    some knowledge, yet he has never ever claimed to have any such knowledge.
    It's all in your mind.
    Says the guy that has posted demands for proof from a guy that has made no
    explicit statement of knowledge. Talk about having nothing else to add.

    Sandman, May 19, 2014
  10. RichA

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, May 19, 2014
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    F1,F2,F3,F4,F5 & F6 were pro cameras. And 24X36. So even this
    affirmation is not accurate.[/QUOTE]

    those were film cameras.

    there was no dx with film (and i don't mean aps which had a different
    naming scheme anyway), although olympus did have a half-frame film
    camera.

    there was also no nikon f1, it was a nikon f. canon had an f1 and
    later, the new f1.

    nikon's naming scheme back then was 1 digit pro (f2, f3, etc.) and
    letters (fm, fe, em) or numbers (f100, n80, etc.) for non-pro.

    the big difference is that film cameras didn't advance anywhere near as
    rapidly so there weren't as many cameras to name (although they did
    sometimes have regional variations).
    the mode wheel on the d7100 locks.

    it will not accidentally be changed.

    Guest, May 19, 2014
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    actually the d7100 and d610 are very similar other than sensor size and
    a 51 point autofocus in the d7100 versus 39 in the d610. otherwise, the
    differences are minor, if any.
    i think you mean d400 versus a future d7200.

    the d9300 is the rumoured name of what people want for a d400.

    the d7100 is actually quite a bit more advanced than a d300s, but with
    a small buffer.

    if they do a d9300 they'll need to differentiate it from a future d7200
    somehow. buffer is one way but there are no doubt others.

    Guest, May 19, 2014
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Your sarcasm meter needs now batteries.

    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Like frame rate; card type & capacity, (Nikon just upgraded the firmware
    on the D800 to work with cards with cards over 128 g; power consumption;
    sensor quality; ease of changing modes; etc.

    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the d7100 can shoot 6 fps or 7 fps at 1.3x crop, at both 12 or 14 bit
    data.

    the d300s can shoot 6 fps with the built in battery and 8 fps with a
    battery pack, however, if you set it to 14 bit, it drops to 2.5 fps,
    which is slower than an old d70.

    the d7100 sensor is about as good as it gets for dx at the moment.

    in other words, there's not much more they can do in a d9300 with
    regards to frame rate or sensor quality to differentiate it from a
    d7100 or its successor.

    Guest, May 20, 2014
  16. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <2014051701201197865-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    :
    : > ...and we still need a D400 and eventually a D500, they are holes in
    : > the list which need filling.
    :
    : you might think the hole needs filling but that doesn't mean nikon sees
    : it that way.
    :
    : it's been 5 years since the d300s came out so obviously nikon is not in
    : any particular rush.

    Where's the incentive? The D400 would be competing against the wildly
    successful Canon 7D. Arguably better to wait and see if Canon makes a misstep
    (in either features or price) with the 7D Mk II.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 23, 2014
  17. RichA

    Guest Guest

    isn't that the point? to compete with canon?

    the 7d competitor would be the wildly successful d7000 and its
    successor, the d7100.

    the d7100 is 24 mp, versus 18mp in the canon. the d7100 also has a 51
    point autofocus system, versus 19 point in the canon.

    it's competing just fine.

    Guest, May 23, 2014
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I see you're in a button pushing mood. ;-p

    PeterN, May 23, 2014