Nikon RAW NEF File Editing Without Nikon Capture? Free Software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Head, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    Hi all,

    Have been searching for an alternative to Nikon Capture after my trial demo for
    it ran out last Sunday. I don't feel like giving Nikon another $99 for
    something I think should be included with a $4000 camera. Beside, I'm not
    buying doodly until I pay off the Visa Card that I bought this Camera on, and
    that may turn out to be August-ish.

    What I'm interested in doing is being able to correct for white balance,
    sharpening / unsharpening, and maybe a few other things I'm going to have to
    read up on before I realize I want them. I'm sort of an advanced amateur that
    buys the best camera he can, at intervals that seem to be turning out to be
    every 16 - 17 years. Nikkormat - 1970. Nikon F3 - 1986. Nikon D1x - 2003. I
    may have overreached myself on this last one, though! <G>

    Anyway, anyone have ideas for some preferably free software that will handle
    the RAW NEF files from the D1x and do basically what Capture does?

    Thanks in advance,

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Dave Head

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Though it may not give the same level of control NikonView6 allows
    processing of Raw files, and includes plug-ins for PS.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Dave Head

    Joan Guest

    Did you try uninstalling and re-installing?

    Joan, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    White balance? Its necesary, or I have to get the available light right every
    time. I'm not that good... far from it.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    Uh, no, I didn't, but as a software developer myself, I wouldn't feel right
    about doing that repeatedly. I just think Nikon ought to pay their developers
    to build it, and then supply it with the camera. Its appears to be a pretty
    necessary accessory to get the most out of the camera, and unlike supplying a
    flash unit with it, supplying software simply means a few cents for a disk, not
    a few hundred for expensive parts and labor to assemble them.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Dave Head

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Well the Nikon Editor installed with NV6 on my system allows rudimentary WB
    adjustments.

    RAW Adjustments
    The RAW Adjustments palette allows you to make simple changes to images in
    RAW (NEF) format.

    Exposure compensation
    Use the Exposure comp. slider to adjust exposure compensation in steps of
    1/3 EV, from -2.0 to +2.0. When the slider is set to zero, the exposure
    compensation will be set to the value chosen when the photograph was taken.

    White Balance
    This option allows you to adjust the white balance of an image saved in RAW
    data format. Select a White Balance mode from the pull down menu. (White
    Balance is an adjustment that preserves natural looking colors regardless
    of the light source.)

    Setting Use...
    Unchanged ...to preserve the original White Balance setting.
    Auto* The camera sets white balance automatically.
    Incandescent ...for images taken under an incandescent light
    Fluorescent ...for images taken under an fluorescent light
    High Color
    Rendering
    Fluorescent ...for images taken under an high color rendering fluorescent
    light
    Direct sunlight ...for images taken under direct sunlight
    Shade ...for images taken in the shade
    Cloudy ...for images taken under cloudy skies.
    Flash ...for images taken with a Nikon speedlight

    * Auto is not available for images taken with COOLPIX series cameras.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    Hmmm - I think I see what's happened. I installed Capture 3.0 trial edition as
    the editor in my Nikon View 6.0 . Then Capture 3 subsequently expired. Now, I
    have _no_ editor at all. Apparently I have to uninstall View and reinstall it
    without specifying Capture 3.0.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Dave Head

    W6DKN Guest

    Or just select "Edit using other Program" and select "Nikon Editor"

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Dave Head

    Ed Ruf Guest

    No need. Choose Edit => Preferences => Still Image
    Select Use the Following program and change to Nikon Editor if necessary.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    Thanks, Ed - before this conversation, I didn't _know_ there was an alternative
    editor. It seemed like a case of, "Pay another $99, or you don't have an
    editor".

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Dave Head

    Dave Head Guest

    Thanks Dan, As I told Ed, I wasn't aware of the other editor.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Dave Head

    Ed Ruf Guest

    You're welcome. In fact the ability to process NEF is the only reason
    I keep NV6 on my PC at all.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Dave Head

    Tore Lund Guest

    While we're at it, has anyone tried to edit NEF files with XnView? It
    will convert the file and display it OK (at least the NEF files from my
    Coolpix 5000), but the colors are morbid, and there seems to be no way
    to get a reasonably correct white balance with XnView alone. Anyone
    else succeeded in doing this?

    Tore Lund, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Dave Head

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    I actually found it: the RAW plug-in in Photoshop CS.
    Free if you update from previous versions of PS.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 14, 2004