Nikon PictureProject Renames JPG Create Date After Transfer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Billy, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Billy

    Billy Guest

    I have two cameras, the Nikon D70 and Coolpix P2. When I transfer
    images from the D70 to my PC using PictureProject v1.6 (formerly used
    v1.0), the images creation date will *not* be renamed to the date that
    the transfer occurred. However, when I transfer images or movies with
    the P2, the creation date of the file changes ***to the date that the
    file was transferred***. I do not want the file to be manipulated in
    this way because retaining the original shooting date in the files
    properties is required for the work that I'm doing.

    Additionally, I recently rebuilt my PC and found that the creation date
    of the many of the D70 files that I backed up from my HDD and restored
    now have a changed date to the day of the restore.

    Luckily, I always name my files with the shooting date. Is there a way
    to restore the original file properties date to it's authentically
    created date? Does anyone know why the D70 and P2 would interact
    differantly with the same Picture Project transfer methods, and how to
    prevent a file properties change in the future?

    Billy, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Billy

    barry.wallis Guest

    I use PP with my Coolpix 8800 and it does *not* change the date of the
    file.

    - Barry

    barry.wallis, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Billy

    Julie Guest

    Is the correct date retained in the EXIF data? Where is it that you are
    looking at the dates and noticing the change?

    Just a hunch here -- If you're looking at the files in Windows
    Explorer, the date in the "Date Created" column will be the date the
    files were transferred to the PC. The "Date Modified" column displays
    the original shooting date (which should also be in the EXIF of the
    image). In Windows Explorer, click View, then Choose Details... and add
    the "Date Modified" column.

    Julie

    Julie, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Billy

    Billy Guest

    I'm still at work, but I'll check this when I get home. I remember
    looking in the properties of the file at created and modified dates and
    they appear differant than when the file was *really* created - so I
    suspect that the EXIF will match one of these.

    Billy, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Billy

    theo Guest

    As an alternative, AttributeMagic from elwinsoft.com in WA is a single
    purposed program to edit and lock the created and modified dates in
    Windows. I find it necessary for all scanned images' properties. e.g., my
    mother's prints of New Guinea in WWII can reflect a 1945, not 2005, date,
    once committed to the HD. But other posters indicate your problems are
    anomolies of settings within PP, so can be cured within PP, without the
    clutter of my solution.
    Regards,
    Theo

    theo, Dec 29, 2005
  6. Billy

    Billy Guest

    Thanks All. It tunrs out that I was completely incorrect. The file
    dates are listed correctly - I was looking at the last accessed date or
    something. I also noticed that either a Dell driver app or PP (don't
    think it is native to Windows) lists a "Picture Taken" column in Win
    Explorer, that is very helpful for identifying this information. You
    need to scroll left or enable to field on some screens. I'd really like
    to lock down these files now though, after this "scare". I may try this
    apllication that Theo recommends but can't I make the file attributes
    "Read Only" through NTFS security or Windows Explorer GUI attributes to
    ensure these file are never modified?

    Billy, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Billy

    Joan Guest

    Can't you write the files to a CD?

    In Windows Explorer, right click on the column headings. You can chose
    which columns to display. If you select "more" you will see a few more
    headings some of which get data from the EXIF in the files.

    Joan, Dec 29, 2005