    personal judgement.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Mahesh Singh

    Dave Head Guest

    Yeah, that too...

    Dave Head, Jul 3, 2005

  3. On the other hand, at least two of us who have used the MH-53 find that it
    stops charging much earlier with cells which have had little energy taken
    from them, so I believe that D P Review were wrong on this one.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    You're right, and when it comes to wrench sizes I would agree that that's
    another area where metric makes more sense. Avoiding sizes like 9/32 or 7/16
    is a worthwhile thing to do.

    Right. I never did understand Whitworth sizes, or why a 5/8 Whitworth was
    not the same as 5/8 SAE for example. But there must be a reason, other than
    the English just having a preference for doing things in funny ways, like
    driving on the wrong side of the road. ;-)

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Mahesh Singh wrote:
    []
    Actually, I moved from AA powered cameras (the Nikon 900 and 990) to
    single battery Li-ion powered cameras (Nikon 5700, 8400 & Panasonic FZ5 &
    FZ20), and there is no way I wish to go back to messing about with eight
    AA cells rolling about all over the place when changing batteries in the
    field! I realise not everyone would make that choice, though...

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    Thanks, but I wish there were some more authoritative source than that. The
    DPReview page makes the statement but offers no clue as to their basis for
    this. The fact that the writer was "sure this does the battery no harm" is
    not very confidence-inspiring either. If it always puts the battery on full
    charge for some preset time, as I infer from the way that's put, even if the
    battery's already fully charged, then surely over time that must damage the
    battery. Again, this is assuming the statement is correct.

    Now I would agree with you that *if that statement is correct* it does seem
    like a stupid way for Nikon to make a battery charger, whether for an
    expensive camera or for any camera at all, even three years ago. Because it
    seems stupid, it also seems hard to believe for a maker like Nikon.

    Anyway, there is no reason to believe that later Nikon chargers are like
    that. I presume that they are as Scott Schuckert has described and I had
    assumed for all such chargers, i.e. that they put the battery on full charge
    until the charger senses in one way or another that it's close to full
    capacity and then drop back to trickle charge, which continues indefinitely.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    No. Lower quality settings do not change the pixel count (that's a separate
    setting), they only increase image compression. Because JPEG is a "lossy"
    compression method, the more highly compressed the image the more the color
    accuracy will be compromised in certain areas, at least theoretically. I
    generally shoot in "normal" because I really can't see any difference
    between that and "fine" in the finished result, and "normal" gives much
    smaller file sizes, faster transfer times etc. Maybe I would use "fine" if I
    made enormous enlargements, but I don't do that.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 3, 2005
  8. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    I think you have now brought yourself to such a degree of hatred for that
    camera (whether rightly or wrongly) that you might as well get rid of it and
    buy something else.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 3, 2005
  9. Mahesh Singh

    RichA Guest

    That's Nikon's design flaw. With the Olympus, you push the batter
    home (no matter who made it) it click-locks in place, then you close
    and lock the battery door.
    -Rich

    RichA, Jul 3, 2005
  10. Mahesh Singh

    ASAAR Guest

    They can safely be left in the smart charger as long as the smart
    charger is never plugged into the AC outlet. Energizer Lithium AA
    batteries are like alkaline batteries. They aren't rechargeable. :)

    FWIW, my Fuji S5100 uses 4 AA batteries. When I tested it several
    months ago using alkalines, taking roughly 1/2 with and 1/2 without
    using the flash, and using the zoom a lot, I got a bit more than the
    200 shots the manual suggested I'd get. But when I disabled the
    flash and continued taking pictures outdoors, it was able to take
    another 400 pictures, for a total in excess of 600 pictures. If I
    had used high capacity NiMH AA batteries, the numbers probably would
    have been double that (the manual claims 400). From this I conclude
    that if I have two sets of fully charged NiMH AA batteries, if I
    used them exclusively for flash pictures, they'd probably last for
    450 to 500 shots. And if I used them instead for outdoor shots
    without using the flash, they'd probably last for some outrageously
    large number of shots, approaching or possibly even exceeding 2,000.
    Far more than I'd ever expect to take.

    ASAAR, Jul 3, 2005
  11. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    [ . . . ]
    Well . . .

    Several of my cameras use AA batteries and several others use Li-ion. There
    are advantages and disadvantages to both types, and as to which is better
    overall I think it's pretty much a wash.

    Li-ion batteries provide more capacity for the size and weight, are better
    suited to fast charging, don't need to be deep-cycled as much (if at all)
    and probably are longer-lived if not abused. The disadvantage to Li-ion for
    me is that the battery sizes are proprietary and it seems that every time I
    buy a new camera that uses Li-ion it takes a different size battery than all
    the other Li-ion batteries I already have. And they're relatively expensive.

    The great appeal of NiMH AA cells is not only that they're cheap but that
    they"re *standard*. If your batteries die in an emergency you can buy
    alkalines almost anywhere in the world that will work, whereas if you're out
    in Lower Slobovia or West Bongo Bongo and your Li-ion batteries die, you're
    pretty much out of business as far as that camera is concerned.

    On the other hand . . . I have never yet had a Li-ion battery go bad on me,
    but I have had several NiMH cells (all of good brands) go completely dead,
    refuse to recharge. If you have a camera that takes four AA cells and one
    goes dead, the other three are useless. This is annoying because it means
    you must eventually either mix-and-match cells from different sets (which is
    generally a bad idea) or else throw away good cells.

    So "yer pays yer penny and yer takes yer choice."

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 3, 2005
  12. Mahesh Singh

    Roger Guest

    Virtually all SLR viewfinders (digital or film) show an area a tad
    undersize. Not much, but a little. My D-70 is no different than my
    F4S, that I can tell.
    It's been my experience that amateurs tend to chop off heads albeit
    most do a poor job of framing. They shoot an image of a herd of deer
    a 1/4 mile away and then wonder why they are nothing but specks.
    To do this they'd have to make the viewfinder show more than what is
    in the image and I have never seen a film or digital SLR do that and
    I've been shooting since long before SLRs of any type were available.
    However with the short and small eye relief people do have a tendency
    to not see the entire area in the view finder and particularly when
    wearing glasses. To the user this gives the appearance of a view
    finder that shows much less than the actual image when the problem is
    really the user not getting their eye close enough to the view finder.
    Again, I've never seen this in the cameras I've used be they Nikon or
    Canon.
    I rarely use the LCD and then only to check the results for
    composition after shooting. Even the larger ones are useless for
    focus except for gross errors.

    One thing I've noticed on the D70 and that is the small diameter of
    the eye relief which I don't like. (I do wear glasses but I can set
    the diopter adjustment which works just fine. I liked the big rotary
    knob on the F4S for this much better than the slide adjustment on the
    D70)

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Jul 3, 2005
  13. Mahesh Singh

    Bob Haar Guest

    I don't see what an all metal body has to do with battery life or any other
    aspect of taking pictures. It is a marketing phrase that suggests
    ruggedness.
    Short battery life is common complaint with many of the P&S digitals.
    Better power management started in the DSLRs and is now working downward
    into the lower product ranges. It is a measure of the maturation of the
    technology.

    Do you leave the camera turned on for the entire time? Is it in autofocus
    mode where it keeps trying to adjust the focus continually while you are
    moving around. That can suck quite a bit of power.

    The D70 has much improved power management. I turn it off if I am not going
    to take a picture immediately. I also have I set so autofocus operates only
    when I depress the shutter button half way.

    From other posts, I gather that you got the camera about a year ago. I
    bought my D70 at about the same time for only 20% more than a CP 5000. (now
    I admit to spending more on lenses and accessories than the camera itself,
    but that is the danger of the SLR format.)
    I think that you are getting about half of what I would expect, but leaving
    the camera on full time with the LCD display and continuous focus might
    account for that.

    In some of the other posts, you say that you leave the battery in the
    charger when not in use. If your charger is like that one that I had, it is
    not designed for this. You are supposed to remove the battery when it is
    charged. Leaving it in the charger can damage the battery. You may have
    significantly reduced the ability of the batteries to hold a charge through
    this behavior.
    Hind sight is always 20/20 :)-)

    Bob Haar, Jul 3, 2005
  14. Mahesh Singh

    Kitt Guest

    So, I think this whole thread is the result of unrealistic expectations
    and an owners failure to learn more about his camera and the
    manufacturer of that camera? That about right?

    You can't sit and compare a four year old camera design to the current
    crop or you're pretty much doomed to disappointment. But, if you just
    want to make it work, go to EBay and buy some extra batteries. If you
    use flash on every shot and let the automatic focus run constantly,
    you'll probably only get half or less of the factory estimate. Let's
    say one third. That means you need three batteries for each 100
    minutes. Six for 200.. well, you see how this is working. Or, buy the
    power grip. As to slow saves, slow focus and time between shots,
    that's what P&S cameras did four years ago. If you want to fix that,
    you have to buy a new camera. I would suggest a Nikon 8800. It'll
    improve your attitude about Nikon.. and for God's sake, please send it
    back under warranty if something doesn't work. Don't wait till a
    couple years later to complain about it. ;o) In fact, if you sell
    yours on Ebay for a couple hundred and take the money you were going to
    spend on a power grip, you'd almost have the new one half paid for:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon8800.html

    Kitt, Jul 3, 2005
  15. Mahesh Singh

    The Real Bev Guest

    We've upped our standards. Up yours.
    I guess you're too young to remember when the Japanese had TWO metric size
    systems for bolts.

    Ditto.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    "There is nothing wrong with it and I didn't do it and, my gosh,

    The Real Bev, Jul 3, 2005
  16. Mahesh Singh

    Bob Guest

    The reverse current in modern silicon diodes is almost un-measurable... micro or
    pico amps...
    Reverse bias breakdown would be over 400 volts in the minimum common produced
    diode, such as a 1N4004...
    Theoretically? Yes, but you said you never unplug the charger...
    I agree... but there is a price point here as well... would you pay $400 for a
    charger?
    That I don't know, I should try to find a schemagic...
    Of course it isn't 'memory' per se, but it is a good term to describe the event!
    Wait a second - the Nikon battery's aren't NiCads, and the 1/10 C doesn't apply.
    It was just an example.
    It may be a constant voltage charger with current monitoring, they are cheap to
    build... We use constant voltage on all of our nicads, it seems to be the norm
    these days.
    9/10 C would indicate a 1.5 hour charger... my charger takes more time...
    Maybe... at least you do!

    Bob, Jul 4, 2005
  17. Mahesh Singh

    Nostrobino Guest

    Yep.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 4, 2005
  18. What a load of unadulterated bollocks....

    Steve Franklin, Jul 4, 2005
  19. Mahesh Singh

    George Guest

    An SAE 5/8" wrench is across the flats on the bolt head. A 5/8" Whitworth is
    for a 5/8 diameter bolt.

    George Anderson

    George, Jul 4, 2005
  20. Mahesh Singh