Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall - Sold with D100 D70 D50 and Seperately as part 26265

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Christopher Muto, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Christopher Muto, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Christopher Muto

    Andy Dee Guest

    Andy Dee, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Christopher Muto

    Nikon User Guest

    And you'll be without a battery for at week and a half to two weeks
    unless you have a spare or a replacement of some sort.

    Nikon User, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Who just has one battery for their camera?

    "Guard yourself from the terrible empty light of space,
    the bottomless
    Pool of the stars.
    (Expose yourself to it: you might learn something.)"

    "Quia Absurdum"
    Robinson Jeffers
    from "Double Axe"

    John A. Stovall, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Christopher Muto

    Nikon User Guest

    Who just has one battery for their camera? [/QUOTE]

    Lots of people, I would think.

    Nikon User, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Lots of people, I would think.[/QUOTE]

    I can't image anyone would be that foolish or dumb.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Nov 9, 2005
  7. why are you taking a stand over something as ludicrous as to weather people
    have more than one battery or not. not all the owners of d50 and d70 are
    pros. besides the battery lasts over six hours in the d70. i appreciate
    "nikon user" for letting me know that what nikon says should take seven days
    is in his experience two weeks...
    enough said, now go check the markings on your battery before you house
    burns down.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Christopher Muto

    GTO Guest

    I wonder if my two not listed batteries are just not listed because they're
    "safe" or because Nikon's support department just decided not to recall too
    many of them. First a batch of D70 gets flaky, then CCDs in their P&S
    cameras and now this. Nikon's quality is getting worse. Don't they test this
    stuff before they have customers do testing for them?

    I am rather confident that a US customer with a not listed battery pack can
    sue them with great chance of success should it blow anyway. They should
    recall all of them or tell the exact details why some batches are not
    working while others are PERFECTLY safe. BTW, why should the "punished" ones
    give up their batteries for 7-10 days AFTER Nikon received the broken
    part? - Hello? What happened to customer care?

    Gregor

    GTO, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Christopher Muto

    cjcampbell Guest

    Oddly enough, the only battery I have trouble with overheating is a
    third party battery that I got at Best Buy.

    My two Nikon batteries appear to be far too old to be affected by the
    recall.

    cjcampbell, Nov 9, 2005
  10. Christopher Muto

    Nikon User Guest

    No, it is not experience (I have a D70s, so my battery is not affected);
    it is simple math. Nikon says it will take seven to ten days for them
    to ship the new battery. The old battery takes two to four days in
    transit to Nikon, seven to ten days for them to ship the replacement
    back, and another two to four days in transit back to you.

    2 + 7 + 2 = 11 (minimum times)
    4 + 10 + 4 = 18 (maximum times)

    (18 + 11)/2 = 14.5 (average of minimum and maximum times)

    So, the average time, from the time you ship the old batter until you
    receive the new one is about two weeks.

    Nikon User, Nov 9, 2005
  11. Christopher Muto

    Joan Guest

    Certainly not in Australia. Maxwell are sending the new battery and
    requesting return of the old one in the same packaging.

    Joan, Nov 9, 2005
  12. Christopher Muto

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Actually, if you want to give them a credit card number, they'll ship the
    replacement along with return packing and postage. They only charge your
    credit card if they haven't received the original within 30 days.

    Joe Makowiec, Nov 9, 2005
  13. Christopher Muto

    Cudex Guest

    For once we're getting a better 'deal' DownUnder as the Australian Nikon
    distributor will send a new battery THEN we send old one by reply paid
    post.

    http://www.maxwell.com.au/service/notice/enel3.html

    Mark.

    Cudex, Nov 9, 2005
  14. I have all Canon gear and four batteries for the 20D grip. I'm not a
    pro but a serious amateur who won't miss a shot because of not having
    power for the camera. Oh, and I have multiple chargers and a spliter
    so I can charge one set while the other is in the camera either in the
    car or from a wall outlet.

    Not having a spare battery is like only having the roll of film loaded
    in your camera.

    John A. Stovall, Nov 9, 2005
  15. Christopher Muto

    Alfred Molon Guest

    I've also always used more than one (set of) batteries with the digital
    cameras I've used until now. You might forget to charge the battery, or
    you might want to use the camera while the battery is charging in the
    charger or the camera might lose its settings if left without batteries
    for a few hours (while the batteries recharge).

    Alfred Molon, Nov 9, 2005
  16. Christopher Muto

    Bill Funk Guest

    What you and John are doing is giving very good reasons for why people
    might decide to carry more than one battery.
    This does not mean that everyone does so. In fact, I know a lot of
    people who only have one battery for their cameras.

    Bill Funk, Nov 9, 2005
  17. thank you.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 9, 2005
  18. Christopher Muto

    ASAAR Guest

    And for many of them it's a wise decision. I didn't get a second
    battery for my Canon Powershot until I determined that it would be
    useful. Even though I didn't usually take many pictures over a
    short period of time, its battery didn't provide exceptional life,
    and the one-time-use lithium alternative was far too expensive. But
    they were NiMH rechargeables, and lasted a good five years before
    they needed to be replaced. Both Lithium and NiMH batteries have a
    predetermined maximum number of recharge cycles, but Lithiums also
    age whether they're used or not, which isn't often considered by
    people that buy multiple batteries.

    Today's cameras are often far more efficient and a lithium
    rechargeable can provide far more than a day's worth of shooting,
    making a second battery more of a luxury than a necessity for many
    photographers. And for those that don't take large numbers of
    pictures and get a second battery, they may not realize that over
    the much shorter life of Li-ion (vs. NiMH) batteries, a single
    battery would have taken about as many shots over its limited life
    as two batteries would. The difference (and again, this is only for
    those that don't take large numbers of pictures)? With only one
    battery you'd (sort of) have to anticipate when the camera would be
    used and make sure that the battery was fully charged in advance. I
    said "sort of" because lithiums don't self-discharge as NiMH's do,
    so they could profitably be charged more than a month in advance.
    With two batteries you'd always have at least a little more charge
    available than a single battery could provide, but the drawback is
    that you'd have to tote the second battery for the times when it
    would be needed*, and then would be inconvenienced, perhaps at an
    inopportune moment by having to stop shooting to exchange batteries.
    If the cost of another battery is of little consequence, the extra
    sense if security if provides (though probably illusory) might be
    worthwhile.

    *If care is taken to keep both batteries fully charged in advance,
    then the "light" user wouldn't really need the second battery.

    ASAAR, Nov 9, 2005
  19. Christopher Muto

    Dawn Guest

    Yesterday i read about this recall in this NG. So I go online and find
    out only for US residents. I call the US number and they give me the
    Canadian one. I phone up the Canadian one since no mention at all on
    Nikon.ca website about recall. The support guy says ya, bring it in.
    I tell him hey im in rural Canada. He then tells me i have to ship it
    to them at my cost while speed reading the address to send it to. Now
    im ticked. I have emailed Nikon Canada and still no response. I have
    2 batteries and at least 1 is not on recall. This is my first dealing
    with Nikon Canada support and I am far from impressed!!!!!!!!!

    Dawn, Nov 9, 2005
  20. that's what i mean about nikon customer service sucking...
    you want http://www.nikon.ca/ the link to the battery recall for you
    candians is a huge yellow banner on the bottom of the main page. in the
    future, if you can't recall the nikon canada site then just start at
    nikon.com and navigate from there...

    Christopher Muto, Nov 9, 2005