Nikon D80 Digital Camera Dark Frame Image Noise Tests

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    John Sheehy Guest

    "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in news:46c04db9$0$13999
    $:

    > http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1067

    I noticed a bit of a defect in the camera, perhaps. The top and bottom
    edges of the short black "exposures" are brighter than the middle areas,
    and in the ISO 100 image, where noise is lowest, this results in a big
    difference in standard deviation between these areas, as the middle area of
    the sensor is darker, as the zeropoint in the data is not at black (it is
    too high), and more of the noise (and deepest shadows) get clipped away.
    It would be interesting to see if most D80s do this, or if is a quirk of
    this specimen.

    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    John Sheehy, Aug 15, 2007