    Would these cards make a difference when used with a D80 or D50? In other
    words, it is worth paying the premium for a SDHC or is it just as good as
    plain old SD card because the camera doesn't know any better?

    Sitara Lal, Oct 19, 2007

  2. On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:30:54 GMT, Sitara Lal <> wrote:
    > Kingston sells a range of SD cards known as SDHC (High Capacity) cards, in
    > various speed classes.
    >
    > Would these cards make a difference when used with a D80 or D50? In other
    > words, it is worth paying the premium for a SDHC or is it just as good as
    > plain old SD card because the camera doesn't know any better?

    As I understand it, SDHC allows cards of 4 GB and above, whereas
    standard SD is only spec'd up to 2 GB (though there are some 4 GB SD
    cards, and it's apparently a crapshoot as to whether they'll work on any
    given camera).

    The card speed is a separate issue; there are slow and fast SD cards,
    ditto for SDHC. The really high speeds are mainly useful when
    downloading photos to a computer, rather than while taking the pictures.
    My personal view is to buy one or two notches below the fastest;
    reasonably zippy, but without the price premium of The Fastest Cards
    Available.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Sitara Lal

    N Guest

    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:30:54 GMT, Sitara Lal
    > <> wrote:
    >> Kingston sells a range of SD cards known as SDHC (High Capacity) cards,
    >> in
    >> various speed classes.
    >>
    >> Would these cards make a difference when used with a D80 or D50? In other
    >> words, it is worth paying the premium for a SDHC or is it just as good as
    >> plain old SD card because the camera doesn't know any better?

    > As I understand it, SDHC allows cards of 4 GB and above, whereas
    > standard SD is only spec'd up to 2 GB (though there are some 4 GB SD
    > cards, and it's apparently a crapshoot as to whether they'll work on any
    > given camera).
    >
    > The card speed is a separate issue; there are slow and fast SD cards,
    > ditto for SDHC. The really high speeds are mainly useful when
    > downloading photos to a computer, rather than while taking the pictures.
    > My personal view is to buy one or two notches below the fastest;
    > reasonably zippy, but without the price premium of The Fastest Cards
    > Available.
    >
    > -dms

    D50 can't use SDHC. D80 can.

    N, Oct 19, 2007