    nice old Nikkors, and it would be wonderful if a dSLR could make good use
    of them. Otherwise, since I have no AF Nikon lenses, it would be a toss up
    as to whether to get a Nikon or Canon dSLR body.

    Lung Fish, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Lung Fish

    KBob Guest

    I am able to utilize my complete collection of AIS Nikkors and Nikon
    accessories with my D100, and almost all function with the Kodak 14n
    (a few simply won't fit because of the "Leno Chin.") I seldom prefer
    camera metering methods and use incident readings for most
    applications, so the "loss" of metering is of little concern to me,
    and these older (and far better constructed) Nikkors work perfectly on
    the camera. Autofocus will function with most earlier non-"D"
    autofocus lenses if they are chipped, otherwise you will need to
    manually focus, depending on the viewfinder's focus indicator, and
    that works very well. I don't generally prefer autofocus either, so
    this has not proven to be a major limitation for my applications.
    Unfortunately many outstanding Nikkor lenses of past years were never
    made available in a "D" version, but there's no reason why you can't
    take advantage of these in manual mode with the D70 or D100. For
    example, I use both the 500mm and 1000mm Nikkor reflex mirror lenses,
    as well as the 85mm and 35mm PC types, big teles etc. without a
    problem. A camera that is limited to a half-frame sensor is at a
    disadvantage for extreme wideangle usage, but the new Sigma 12-24mm
    should address that, and is a lens you can also use with full-frame
    cameras (unlike the far more expensive Nikkor).

    Since Canon has an equivalent camera, your choice should be based on
    which lens system you already have a collection of, or which system is
    most appealing to you. Should you wish to, both Nikon and Canon
    systems have full-frame cameras you can upgrade to in the future
    (Kodak SLR/n and Canon EOS 1Ds).

    KBob, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Lung Fish

    AArDvarK Guest

    Yes they'll work ... no light metering though. I'd wait for the new
    Nikon D-70 and use/buy a handheld incident light meter too. The
    D-70 is excellent with noise in image low noise in high iso shots,
    better than the D-100.
    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_samples.shtml
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Lung Fish

    JR Guest

    You can have the lenses chipped. Depending on which lenses they are.

    JR

    JR, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Lung Fish

    Lung Fish Guest

    Any idea of the price to perform this on prime lenses? I have a nice 50
    and a 35mm that I'd like to use.

    Lung Fish, Feb 22, 2004
  6. What does chipped mean?

    tia

    Random Electron, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Lung Fish

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Jim Waggener, Feb 22, 2004
  8. From http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/NikonFAQ.htm,
    it's $80 plus shipping costs. But unless your 35mm is a PC lens,
    neither is on the candidate list. Perhaps there are other services
    out there.

    Michael Benveniste, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Lung Fish

    ralford Guest

    From the link (thanks btw)

    Does this matrix chip upgrade add "D" (distance) compatibility to my lenses?

    Please note that I do NOT upgrade non "D" lenses to "D" lenses. I use
    "non-D" chips so that incorrect distance information is NOT sent to the
    camera's computer.

    It is my understanding that only AF-D lenses are fully compatible with the
    newer Nikons - dSLR's in particular. True, any F mount lens may mount on
    the body and function in the manual mode, however, most would like have the
    modern convieniences...

    This is not backward conveniences, imho.

    rma

    ralford, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Lung Fish

    JR Guest

    Wrong....AF (non D) lenses will work fine, there may be some modes where
    some flash modes will not be available (like TTL auto fill flash)
    because they use the D info, other than that you will not have an issue.

    JR, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Lung Fish

    JR Guest

    Go Here...

    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

    It will tell you te FULL list of lenses that can be upgraded and what it
    involves....

    JR

    JR, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Lung Fish

    ralford Guest

    hum. not from the Nikon site...
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25206

    Compatible Lenses: 1) D-type/G-type AF Nikkor: All functions possible; 2)
    P-type Manual-Focus Nikkor: All functions except autofocus possible: 3) AF
    Nikkor other than D-type/G-type: All functions possible except 3D Matrix
    Metering; 4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions except 3D Matrix Metering and
    autofocus possible; 5) Non-CPU: Usable in [M] mode....

    Not sure what metering would be used without matrix, spot perhaps? Just put
    my old AF lenses up on eBay - perhaps I may have to buy them back myself :(

    Thanks for your comments. Cheers,

    rma

    ralford, Feb 23, 2004
  13. Lung Fish

    W6DKN Guest

    Pretty simple really. The D100 has four metering modes 1) 3D Matrix, 2)
    Matrix, 3) Center Weighted, and 4) Spot.

    So, if you cant use #1, that still leaves #2,#3,and #4...

    BTW, the 3D Matrix mode is only used for flash calculation anyway...

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Feb 23, 2004
  14. Lung Fish

    Vin Guest

    No. There is 3D Matrix and 3D Flash. They are not the same.
    My old F65 only had 3D Matrix Metering for Exposure but only
    Matrix Metering when used with a flash. With the D100, its
    both. Its just another variable in the matrix equation for
    both flash and exposure.

    My Non-D Nikkor 24-50mm works fine in Matrix Mode. Seems that
    a lot of people think that Non-D AF Lenses dont work on the
    digitals. Problem is that you can't choose between Matrix
    and 3D Matrix when you have a D Lens, it is automatically
    set. I dont see any difference in 3D Metering anyways.

    Vin, Feb 23, 2004
  15. Lung Fish

    W6DKN Guest

    You're correct of course, I should have said "BTW, the 3D Matrix mode is
    only useful for flash calculation anyway..." The D100 manual says that the
    camera will use the distance info from a D lens to enhance it's matrix
    metering ability. But I have never been able to tell the difference between
    Matrix and 3D Matrix metered non-flash exposures either. Even the EXIF data
    records both exposures as "Multi Pattern" metering mode, and the camera
    does not indicate one way or another.

    However, when using my SB80DX flash, I then have the 3D Matrix or regular
    Matrix metering option icon show on the flash unit LCD (but no #D Matrix
    indication in the camera). These flash exposures are noticeably different
    depending on which metering method was used, but the EXIF data still
    indicates "Multi Pattern Metering" for both modes.

    So for me, after over 12,000 shots with my D100 (so far), I am led to
    believe that 3D Matrix non-flash metering *may be* happening, but it is
    only with flash shots that I can tell one way or another.

    In other words, the use of D or non-D AF Nikkors on the D100 in daylight
    makes little - if any - difference in exposure results. But for flash shots
    using an external speedlight, a difference in exposure between Matrix
    metering modes is noticeable, but not really that significant. You can
    still get excellent Matrix flash shots with a non-D lens.

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Feb 23, 2004
  16. Lung Fish

    ralford Guest

    Thanks again for all the input. I certainly can't get actual user
    experience from the Nikon site. This is much more than academic to me
    because I am currently going through the Canon/Nikon internal debate...
    Still leaning towards the Canon because I sense that they have at least
    pulled alongside Nikon quality and have a better selection and cost perhaps
    20% less for comparible lens types.

    Don't want to restart the religious Nikon/Canon debate :) just want to
    decide if I need to bid on my lenses (under ralford) on eBay ....

    Cheers,

    Rma

    ralford, Feb 23, 2004
  17. Lung Fish

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    From what I've seen, Canon lenses on EBay go for outrageous
    prices, it's not uncommon to see one selling for a higher price than
    new. Nikon glass is averagely a better bargain. Score one point
    for Nikon on this one. :)

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 23, 2004
  18. Lung Fish

    ralford Guest

    unfortunately, that reflects the supply and demand. Hate it when pseudo
    natural laws take over. On the other hand, I can buy my Nikkor lenses back
    for less :)

    rma

    ralford, Feb 23, 2004
  19. Lung Fish

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Why "unfortunately"? Just because AOL has more users
    than any other ISP, it doesn't mean it's the best... ;-)
    That's the spirit... :)

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 23, 2004
  20. Lung Fish

    ralford Guest

    Looks like you are more interested in proselytizing Nikon than reading
    content. I think it is unfortunate when I have to buy back anything.
    furthermore I hate lower prices when I sell.

    btw if you want to buy some great lenses search on ralford on eBay.

    you comment about AOL is almost justification for the bozo bin....

    the end folks....

    ralford, Feb 24, 2004