Nikon D70 - Water-resistant bag!?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NightStar, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. NightStar

    NightStar Guest

    I'm going to Canada next week, so one of the day's visit will be to
    Niagara... Naturally I want to take some pictures while on the Maid
    of the Mist, but don't really want to get the camera wet! (I wonder

    Are there any cheap ways (Short of using a carrier-bag and
    rubber-band) to make a housing, or buy a cheap housing that is
    water-resistant? (I'm not really looking to pay about £80 just for a
    couple of minutes of shoot - I won't be needing the camera to be water
    resistant after Canada.)

    Any places in the UK that sell anything cheap, or am I asking a lot
    for a cheap purchase!?

    NightStar, Sep 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. NightStar

    gsum Guest


    I took my D100/24x85 lens on the hills in mist and drizzle and discovered
    that the lens (which extends in length) sucks water into the camera.
    Luckily I got away with it. If I were you, I would spend the £80
    and avoid using a variable length zoom.

    gsum, Sep 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. NightStar

    NightStar Guest

    That was a quick reply! :)


    The unit I saw though just had a "tube" that went around the lens, but
    not that tight a fit - I'd assume that, like you, water might get in
    between the lense-housing.

    What I was thinking of doing, which is a bit of a hash-job, is to get
    a clear (large) plastic bag - a "star" in the bottom and fit this
    around the lens head with a rubber-band... Cheap and cheerful -
    Wonder if it would be good enough.

    I am surprised there are not units that are, effectively, a large bag
    with a threaded lens at the front that you screw to the front of the
    camera lens!?

    NightStar, Sep 6, 2004
  4. NightStar

    kubalister Guest
    kubalister, Sep 6, 2004
  5. NightStar

    Gadgets Guest

    Heavy clear plastic bag, held onto the front of the lens using a skylight or
    other filter or lens hood if you have one. Just have the open end towards
    you and use the filter to mark out/cut out a circle in the bottom of the
    bag. Careful not to cross thread your filter - maybe better to tape bag to
    filter ring... but otherwise, it should handle a bit of spray ok!

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming:
    Gadgets, Sep 6, 2004
  6. NightStar

    NightStar Guest

    Thanks - I'm going to try this. Many thanks for everyone's help :)

    NightStar, Sep 6, 2004
  7. NightStar

    ECM Guest

    I've seen what you're describing - a clear plastic bag with a screw-on
    clear filter.... but it was years ago, 20 at least. The closest thing
    I found was by Ewa-Marine at - and it's running US$80 and
    higher for a 10 meter depth rating. I would suspect that at least half
    of the price of anything like this would be to pay for the insurance
    against customer damage that occurs anyways....

    Could you "cobble" something, say with a cheap UV filter and a thick
    plastic bag? Should cost you the equivalent of US$10 for the filter,
    then a little "Goop" (a very strong, flexible adhesive used to repair
    sneaker soles - here in the US, again) to attach a 1-gallon Ziplock
    bag. Might be worth your time - and it'd be a good accessory to have
    tucked into your camera bag, for those damp and/or gritty photo

    Good Luck!
    ECM, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Use a plastic bag. If you are really concerned about the bag interfering,
    get a filter and cut a hole in the bag and glue the filter into it.
    Richard Tomkins, Sep 6, 2004
  9. NightStar

    NightStar Guest

    I'm aiming to do this exact thing...

    Thanks for all the help.

    NightStar, Sep 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.