Nikon D70 to be upgraded to an 8MP Nilkon D70S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by carrigman, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. carrigman

    carrigman Guest

    carrigman, Mar 29, 2005

  2. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    sid derra, Mar 29, 2005

  3. carrigman

    Bubbabob Guest

    Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    Bubbabob, Mar 30, 2005
  4. carrigman

    paul Guest

    USB2?

    paul, Mar 30, 2005
  5. carrigman

    Sheldon Guest

    I would say many people would be happy just to get a hole to screw a shutter
    release cable into, a 100 ISO, a mirror lockup and an optional vertical grip
    (from Nikon). The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not so
    sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it. It they do go to 8, I can
    see them keeping the camera in the line, assuming they can come up with a
    price spread between the old and new camera to keep it alive. As usual,
    just MHO.

    Sheldon, Mar 30, 2005
  6. carrigman

    Tom Scales Guest

    No. USB Full Speed.

    In other words, USB1.1 under a new name

    Tom Scales, Mar 30, 2005
  7. carrigman

    C J Campbell Guest

    That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?

    C J Campbell, Mar 30, 2005
  8. carrigman

    Bubbabob Guest

    Unchanged. It's still not high-speed USB 2.

    Bubbabob, Mar 30, 2005
  9. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    page 201-205 of the d70s user manual
    sid

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  10. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    d70s: no iso 100, no mirror lock up as far as i can tell, no 8mp, dont know
    about vertical grip.

    check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs only here...

    sid

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  11. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs-only version here...

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  12. More pixels is not what the D70 needs. I'd be more interested in a
    "D100s."

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 30, 2005
  13. Where did you see that there is connection for a remote cable? I didn't see
    that in the spec.

    There is a company that has been retrofitting the D70 with a connection for
    a remote cable, the same company that's making the after-market grip, see:
    http://www.harbortronics.com/VGD70.asp

    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 30, 2005
  14. scharf.steven, Mar 31, 2005
  15. carrigman

    Bob Haar Guest

    How do you determine "major complaint areas"?

    I agree on the need for ISO 100. While I don't have particular need for a
    vertical grip, I can understand why it might be desirable.

    But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
    I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

    Bob Haar, Mar 31, 2005
  16. carrigman

    Ed Ruf Guest

    No, the feature missing is the ability to take a photo with the mirror
    locked up, eliminating the effect of vibration due to mirror motion on the
    photo.

    Ed Ruf, Mar 31, 2005
  17. Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
    "professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
    mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
    that now.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 31, 2005
  18. I'm in the opposite: I would like mirror lockup and a vertical grip.
    No need for ISO 100 as long as the 200 is very good.

    Very simple: A D100 with D70 electronics.
    That's just for sensor cleaning. See other post.

    -espen

    Espen Stranger Seland, Mar 31, 2005
  19. What's the big deal about this? There's an IR remote. If you're close enough to
    use a cable then you're close enough to reach over the camera to use the IR.

    Maybe an additional sensor on the rear would be a better idea

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Mar 31, 2005
  20. Except for the Nikkormat.

    Personally, I think that (with a few exceptions) the self-timer works just
    as well to reduce vibrations.

    Philip Homburg, Mar 31, 2005