Nikon D70 RAW (.NEF) File Format

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Xtx99, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Xtx99

    Xtx99 Guest

    Nikon D70 RAW (.NEF) File Format

    Thanks to those who replied to my posting regarding the Nikon D70's RAW
    ..*NEF files. As I mentioned in my original post, I would like to try editing
    ..NEF files from the D70 in both my current Nikon Capture software and my
    Photoshop CS and see if I want to go the more complex digital SLR (D70) /RAW
    route (instead of getting a cheaper Coolpix and just shooting in JPEG).
    Could someone with a D70 possibly email me an unedited D70 .NEF file
    and if possible, tell me what settings they used in Capture or Photoshop to
    edit and save it as a TIFF, JPEG, or Photoshop file? I'd like to experiment
    with the software first to see what the leaning curve is like before I invest a
    lot of money and time into going the digital SLR / RAW route.
    Also, I found websites with different opinions on what the RAW files
    should be rendered, printed and archived in. I'm thinking about rendering,
    printing and archiving in the Photoshop format because it's a smaller file size
    than a TIFF, can be edited without a quality loss unlike JPEG, and the format
    should be around a long time. Does anyone in this newsgroup disagree with
    this? (It does scare me that just today I read a Nikon news release stating
    that they're pushing for a new universal RAW format in the industry...I'm
    thinking that 10 years from now, I might not be able to render the RAW to
    another format.)
    Thanks in advance.

    Xtx99, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Xtx99

    Ed Ruf Guest

    FWIW, you don't need to go the dSLR route to shoot NEF. The higher end
    Coolpix have the ability to save to NEF as well, 5000, 5700, 8700, etc.
    They may not be able to write it anywhere near as fast as the D70, but they
    have this capability. For example my 5700 takes ~22 sec to write to NEF,
    the buffer will hold up to three, then you have to wait for the last one to
    finish writing before being able to take another.
    Given the size of the file I don't think e-mail is a viable conduit. A 5MB
    file encoded is above most providers allowable e-mail size. Do you have an
    ftp site?

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Xtx99

    gsum Guest

    I keep wobbling between Nikon D100 jpgs and nefs. The problem is that
    the D100 writes nefs very slowly and this has caused me to miss images.
    Also, whilst I'm constantly told that nefs are better, I can't see any
    quality difference between nefs and D100 jpgs. The only advantage
    I can see in using nefs is that they give extra exposure latitude for
    poorly exposed shots but this can be overcome by bracketing difficult
    situations. I therfore shoot jpgs and save to tiff before doing any
    editing.

    Graham

    gsum, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Xtx99

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you make sure you set your D100 for UNCOMPRESSED NEF files? The default
    is COMPRESSED which is really, really slow.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Xtx99

    Xtx99 Guest

    Yes, I have an AOL account and I regularly get email attachments over 10 MB in
    size. Thanks in advance.

    Xtx99, Sep 28, 2004
  6. AOL's mail system is different from standard POP3 accounts. Their
    mailbox allocation is based on number of messages (around a thousand,
    I think), not their size.

    Scott Peterson

    --
    Even if you're on the right track,
    you'll get run over if you just sit there.

    451/594

    Scott Peterson, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Xtx99

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Please what your attributions when editing, you've attributed my initial
    reply to the OP.

    You are failing to also recognize that many ISPs limit the size of outgoing
    mail messages as well. So the message must be within the size limits
    imposed on both ends. My ISP is Cox and it is not possible for me to send
    any mail through their mailserver greater than ~6MB in size. An ASCII
    encoded NEF is bigger than this. That's why I asked if he had an ftp site
    set up. While I may or not have other avenues at my disposal, I feel the
    onus should be on the requester.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 2, 2004
  8. Xtx99

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Ed Ruf wrote:

    [Snip]
    A sample NEF (and RAW file converter/RAW file library written in Java) is
    available from:

    http://www.through-the-lens.net/index.php?page=6

    Jose Marques, Oct 3, 2004
  9. If he has the ability to have an Internet site through his ISP AND the
    ISP allows anonymous logins, then just save the file to the public
    directory. The other then logs in using the account name anonymous
    with their e-mail address as the PW.

    Programs like WS-FTP (the free version) make this a snap, but not all
    ISPs allow the anonymous log in. It's also a whale of a lot faster
    than most mail readers when it comes to large files.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Oct 4, 2004
  10. No. Simply not part of my answer. But you are correct that it is a
    limit for some people.

    Scott Peterson

    --
    It is by the goodness of God that in our
    country we have those three unspeakably

    16/594

    Scott Peterson, Oct 4, 2004