Nikon D70 RAW converted to JPEG - jpeg file size 3MB ? 5 MB?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Amit, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Amit

    Amit Guest

    Hello Everybody,

    I use nikon capture version 4.4.0 for my post processing. I shoot in
    RAW and then convert into JPEG. Typical size I get is around 3 MB. My
    default settings while saving as jpeg (from RAW)are "Excellent
    quality" and "8 bit"

    I noticed that earlier vesion of Nikon capture used to produce around 5
    MB+ jpeg files while processing from RAW to JPEG.

    It seems that I am doing something wrong. Do I need to change any
    settings in Nikon Capture? Am I losing the quality of JPEG? Is this the
    size you guys get?

    I am preparing my pics for printing and will greatly appreciate your
    feedback.

    Thanks,
    Amit

    Amit, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Amit

    rafe b Guest

    JPG file sizes are very much image-dependent.

    Plus, with JPG, the "quality" setting makes a
    huge difference in final file size.

    RAW file sizes are also image-dependent.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Amit

    Jim Guest

    The size you get depends on the image iself and the amount of compression.
    Alas, the every program has its own definition of compression selection.
    "Excellent quality" is not very definitive.
    What you are doing wrong, though, is not using Tiff if you want to preserve
    as much of the original as possible.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 16, 2006
  4. I gave up on Capture a while ago. Using RSE 2006 and ACR these days. But, I
    want to say I remember seeing a blurb where one of the changes in the more
    recent versions was too the quality settings for jpgs to go along with
    changes in the newer camera that allow an option for fixed files sizes vs
    fixed levels of compression with varying sizes. Not sure about this though.
    If concerned, save to tiff.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 17, 2006