    hotshoe adapter with my F4. Will this adapter work on either digital? If
    so, is the adapter fully functional or limited?

    Danke.

    pet, Oct 20, 2004

  2. pet

    George Guest

    I may find out in the next day or so...I have the D70 and the 45CL4
    w/SCA346/2AF and
    might need that much portable light on Friday night. It would be limited
    with either the D70,
    D2H, or D2X in that Metz does not (at least yet) support iTTL. I think it'd
    work normally
    (dTTL) with the older D100 though I have no way of testing that. If I do
    use it and no one
    else supplies an answer, I'll post back to this thread.

    George

    George, Oct 21, 2004

  3. pet

    Gadgets Guest

    I have used an S-15 adapter on a D70, which only gives a PC socket
    connection and no other automation. Supposedly external flashes will sync
    1/250 (1/500 is norm for D70), but in my quick testing the external flash
    sync'd up to 1/8000 - even illumination - but only part of the full flash
    burst. ie 1/250s full duration of flash burst was recorded (full power on
    GN 32 flash), 1/500 or higher only part of the flash burst caught, but
    seemed to be even, not the expected horiz darkening from the vert. travel
    shutter. Rear curtain sync also fine.

    Not entirely related to your question, but the Metz45 is a nice unit - esp
    when you use the joey flash with main bounce! Keep it and shoot manual, or
    the semi-auto you get from setting aperture on the flash and letting it pick
    the intensity...

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 21, 2004
  4. pet

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    There is no "travel" shutter; the D70 doesn't have a shutter where the
    "slit" moves across the image plane at high speeds. At high shutter
    speeds the mechanical shutter fires at 1/125 and an electronic shutter
    is used to produce the higher speed. This is why the camera can flash
    sync up to 1/500. So, what you saw was the expected result, since the
    entire frame is in fact exposed at the same moment at all speeds.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 21, 2004
  5. pet

    George Guest

    OK, I've played with the combo you requested a bit in preparation for this
    evening. I could not find any combo of settings that would enable TTL (and
    didn't believe this was possible anyway). Both "Automatic" (using the
    SCA346/2AF
    sensor to determine exposure) and "Manual" (virtually the same as just using
    the PC
    sync socket except for the $$ you spent to do so) work fine and as expected.
    It appears that for any use of a non-Nikon external flash, the custom
    functions
    must be set to "manual" flash. It would be nice if the SCA module at least
    transferred
    aperture info to the flash...

    Good luck,
    George

    FWIW--I have also used my D70 with my Bowens Prolite 100 studio flashes
    and that works great. Of course, that is in manual flash mode and I use
    manual
    exposure mode and a flashmeter...it is actually quite a bit more convenient
    than
    it sounds.

    George, Oct 22, 2004
  6. pet

    pet Guest

    Thanks. You have been a tremendous help.

    pet, Oct 22, 2004
  7. pet

    pet Guest

    With any luck, maybe Metz will eventually have an adapter for the digital
    Nikons. Thanks again.

    pet, Oct 22, 2004