Nikon D70 Or Canon Digital Rebel (Yes, A Tired Thread) (Little Long)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. I can't believe I'm even having to ask this question, as I am a long-time
    Nikonian. However I did just purchase a Canon Digital Rebel at a killer
    price--used, 8,000 shutter actuations WITH the 18-55 lens & all box
    contents--only $565 w/shipping at a private Fred Miranda sale. But in the
    meantime, since then, I've seen on Rob Galibrath's website a guy selling a
    D70 body for $750. I've seen the DR selling for close to $650 or so on eBay,
    so I could be $100 away from a D70 (although I'd need a lens too; but the
    28-80 sells for a small amount).

    The Nikon D70 is without a doubt more feature-filled. However, one thing
    largely mitigates that--the Wasia hack. It does somewhat shrink many of the
    D70 advantages features-wise. Also, despite my "Nikonian" label I started
    out "blank" with this--no lenses or accessories from my Nikon (N80 most
    recently) days, save for a Sunpak 433AF flash which I actually use with my
    Nikon Coolpix 5700. I only have the 18-55 lens for the Canon so far, and no
    hot-shoe flash or "propreitary" supplies yet save for a spare battery ($11)
    and the corded release ($17).

    As I see it, here are the main advantages/disadvantages of each, accouting
    for the Wasia hack for the DR, and adjusting for my particular circumstances

    ================
    Digital Rebel advantages
    ================
    Major:
    I already own it.
    Can select size of JPEG in "RAW + JPEG" mode (thanks to the hack)
    Mirror lockup (thanks to the hack)
    According to dpreview.com, slightly lower noise at lower ISOs (esp 100)

    Minor:
    Faster AF in low-light than D70 (according to dpreview.com)

    ================
    Nikon D70 advantages
    ================
    Major:
    It's a Nikon (I'm biased towards Nikon)
    Faster startup time & faster reflexes (though so far DR has actually been
    plenty quick even in faster situations)
    Lower noise at higher ISOs (though DR isn't shabby either)
    Faster AF-point selection (thumbpad instead of push-button/turn dial)
    Can specifically select Continuous (Servo) AF

    Minor
    Viewfinder gridlines
    Familiarity with it since it's a lot like the N80 I once owned
    Faster flash x-sync (1/500 vs 1/200)
    Separate aperture-shutter speed dials
    I BELIEVE it has an LCD/viewfinder indication if flash-exposure compensation
    is in use
    AF-assist doesn't require flash to be up
    Integration into Nikon View/Capture which I already have installed for the
    CP5700

    The hack mitigates the D70 advantage of flash exposure compensation, ability
    to lock-out 'slow-sync' flash in aperture-priority, and ability to prevent
    shooting photos if no CF card is present. The D70 has the advantage also of
    being to specifically select metering mode regardless of shooting mode,
    rather than doing the DR's funky thing of changing to center-weighted in
    manual mode or partial-weighted in exposure-lock situations--but frankly, I
    use aperture-priority or shutter-priority and matrix (or evaluative)
    metering 98% of the time anyway, and that's what the DR gives me.

    I also never use the rear-curtain sync of the D70 (my N80 had it, I never
    used it). However, one thing could turn the tide, as petty as it seems--I've
    noticed my DR is sllooooooow at browsing images in playback, especially if
    you zoom out to thumbnail view. Even my CP5700 is faster, even when I put a
    new SanDisk Ultra II card in the DR (the 5700 has a Lexar 12x card, 512
    megabytes).

    Also--and this is covered somewhat by the minor point under D70 of
    N80-famaliarity--but I LOVED using the AE/AF button on the back as AF-lock
    only; I could make it to where when I pressed it there was no
    autofocus-delay when pressing the shutter release. In situations where I had
    prefocused and was shooting at like f/8 or smaller and depth-of-field would
    cover small focusing errors, that button was a very handy way to
    "force-fire" the camera--make it take the photo immediately without
    autofocus-lag. I find that handier than having to hold-down the shutter
    release halfway the entire time.

    What do you guys think? I know I've given you a lot. One of the main points
    that's a priority for me is the slow image-preview of the DR; does anyone
    else notice this? Do they observe the D70 being quicker?

    Tips?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Anynomus Guest

    Anynomus, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Bill H. Guest

    My concern, and the reason I will probably pick the Canon, is the cost of
    lenses. I priced an EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS and an EF 75-300 f4-5.6 IS for
    just a little over $800 for the pair. Nikon has a 24-120 f3.5-5.6 VR for a
    little over $500, but the larger VR zoom is closer to $1400. I think that
    image stability is important enough to spend the extra money on the IS or VR
    lenses and Canon is definitely less expensive.

    Bill H., Nov 21, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    ThomasH Guest

    So is also Canon 100-400 L IS ($1400), which compares to the 80-400 VR Nikkor.

    ThomasH, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Bill H. Guest

    Do the Nikon lenses compare to the L series lenses or the less expensive
    series? I have not seen a comparison and this could make a difference, at
    least in my purchase.

    Bill H., Nov 21, 2004
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Skip M Guest

    Skip M, Nov 21, 2004
  8. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Skip M Guest

    The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR and 80-400 f4-5.6 VR are in a class with the Canon
    70-200 f2.8L IS and 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS. The 75-300 IS lens is a consumer
    lens fpr which Nikon, currently, has no competitor.

    Skip M, Nov 21, 2004
  9. Larry R Harrison Jr

    GTO Guest

    If you do not have any Canon lenses and you do not want to spend more than
    $1000 for the body, the D70 is by far the better choice. That's a nobrainer.
    No reason to ask this questions. Just look at dpreview and compare.

    Gregor

    GTO, Nov 21, 2004
  10. True, but that brings us to the question, what if one is happy with the
    consumer grade lens?

    And as the OP points out, with the Wasia hack the difference between
    the D70 and the DR closes pretty much to D70's faster startup times.
    Infact, with the hack the DR gains a few features above the D70 like
    MLU, FEC and ISO3200.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 21, 2004
  11. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Skip M Guest

    The OP just asked if the Nikon lenses compare to the Canon "L" series
    lenses, or the consumer types. That's all I commented on, the relative
    merits of the DR vs. the D70, I'll leave to others.

    Skip M, Nov 21, 2004
  12. I'm not trying to scare you, but how do you know it hasn't had 18000, or 28000
    shutter actuations? It's for that reason that I am hesitating to buy a second
    hand DSLR.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Nov 21, 2004
  13. The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR and 80-400 f4-5.6 VR are in a class with the Canon
    Some of these lenses are reviewed at

    http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

    If you have the other ones, perhaps you'd consider adding some
    information to help future shoppers? For some reason, the database
    has much more information about Canon lenses.

    (And by the way, I think the IS lenses are reason enough to purchase
    the Canon line, as I've stated frequently on r.c.e.35mm. Just one
    more vote for what the OP already has.)

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 22, 2004
  14. Do the Nikon lenses compare to the L series lenses or the less expensive
    I remember reading a while back that the Digital Rebel wasn't sharp
    enough to warrant L lenses. Is that still the consensus?

    Thanks.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 2, 2004
  15. I saw a published astrophotography test of a 10D which showed a distinct
    advantage of the 200/2.8 Canon L lens on a 10D versus 180/2.8 Nikon lens on
    D70. Either the D70 sensor is inherently less sharp, or the 10D picked up a
    very subtle difference between the lenses.

    My understanding is that the Digital Rebel sensor is similar to the 10D.

    Also, the L lenses are much more mechanically rugged, and that should be an
    advantage apart from sharpness.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Don't believe that "observation" reached anything like the level of a
    consensus.

    The image sensor is the same as the 10 D, and is sharp enough.

    John McWilliams, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Big Bill Guest

    I've never heard that before.
    I have a DR, but no L lenses, so I certainly can't say one way or the
    other.

    Big Bill, Dec 3, 2004
  18. Larry R Harrison Jr

    JPS Guest

    In message <SWGrd.138$>,
    Even if it *were* true, what difference would it make in the long run?
    The DR will be old hat long before the lenses are. The person with the
    DR now, buying lenses, may have a 25MP camera in a few years.

    In any event, the DR has the same exact resolution to the 10D, and the
    same resolution as a D60 (but with somewhat different filtering). Good
    lenses make a big difference on any of these DSLRs; they filter out the
    high frequencies to prevent aliasing, so a lens that gives more
    pixel-to-pixel contrast will take images that sharpen better in
    software.

    JPS, Dec 3, 2004
  19. Larry R Harrison Jr

    andrew29 Guest

    At the same price point, the performance is similar. The best data
    I've found is at http://www.photodo.com/.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Dec 3, 2004
  20. The D70 doesn't have ISO 100.
    The D70 is has less shutter lag then the Rebel (you may already have
    it in your list - I am unsure what you mean by "faster reflexes").
    This IMHO is what really makes the D70 a better camera than the
    Rebel.)

    Gisle Hannemyr, Dec 3, 2004