    month with my my new D70 as I did in 12 with my old P&S.

    I can not comment specifically on the 8800, but the shutter lag time should be
    available on the net, as should the shutter lag time on my Kodak DX6490 P&S.

    Ben Thomas, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    If these types of shots are important to you, you would benefit from a
    dslr. Near instant on and nearly zero shutter lag. The 8800 is going to
    have some start up time that may not be insignificant. My 5700 which has
    to extend the lens takes longer than my 990. The D70 is flick it on and
    take the shot.

    Ed Ruf, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks, Ben and Ed. It is sounding more and more definite that I should go
    with a D70. I would like to get better photos of my cats. In addition, I
    would like to take photos of birds. These would be birds in my backyard,
    not birds at a great distance -- still, birds are very *small* and a better
    telephoto would be a definite asset (and probably easier to use than the
    teleconverter I currently use). I used to love using a 35mm SLR, so this
    might be like getting back to my roots. It would also be a completely new
    learning process because I seem to have forgotten most about what I used to
    know!

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Guest

    Albert Guest

    I too was about to buy the 8800 but thankfully someone in this group
    posted a critical review of it. Instead I purchased the FZ20 several
    months ago and can say there is no apprecialble shutter lag or start
    up delay. 8 x 10 prints are very sharp. Controls are easy to use, if
    fact much better than my prior Nikon 5700 & 990.

    Albert

    Albert, Mar 8, 2005
  5. The 8800 has lots of shutter lag. It was the deciding factor in my
    buying a D70 instead.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Oliver Costich wrote:
    []
    I would be surprised if it has "shutter" lag. Are you really talking
    about "auto-focus" lag? You can eliminate that with a half-press of the
    shutter release.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Guest

    MaryL Guest

    Yes, I guess that's what I call shutter lag. I have only been able to
    *partially* reduce it in my 880, and that's what causes my concerns now.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Guest

    MaryL Guest

    To be more specific about it, I often find that it is impossible to get the
    Coolpix880 to actually take a picture in low light for what seems like an
    intolerably long time. I will have to wait while the red light flickers for
    awhile, then finally the flash will go off. Depressing the shutter
    half-way, then all the way helps some...but only "some." This is what I
    want to avoid -- as much as possible -- with a new camera, and it is what I
    have been calling "shutter lag." It is merely annoying when I have time to
    wait for the camera/flash to activate (and is something that I knew when I
    bought my first camera that I could not expect the same instant reaction as
    I got from my 35mm SLR), but it is often "too late" and I lose the moment
    when I try to photograph my cats in certain positions.

    MaryL

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 8, 2005
  9. I would see if you can compare the Nikon 8800 and the Panasonic FZ20 at a
    good dealer, see what both are like in practice. The shutter lag
    (overall) is very low in the Nikon 8400, but that's an unstabilised
    wide-angle camera with extra focus assist, so not a fair comparison!

    With the Nikon 5700 I got quite used to working with the finger on the
    shutter most of the time, having pre-focussed, and just finally pressing
    at the right instant. Doesn't help with the battery life, though!
    Although I appreciate the faster response and marginally better image
    quality of the DSLR, I'm no longer prepared to drag around all the
    required kit and accessory lenses etc. I hate to think of the weight,
    bulk and cost of an equivalent 432mm f/2.8 lens to match the FZ20!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2005
  10. MaryL wrote:
    []
    OK, that narrows down the environment a bit.
    I think that's the flash recharging from its previous shot - you may want
    a faster flash recycling time - perhaps this means an external flash with
    heavy batteries of perhaps you could turn up the ISO a little so that less
    flash energy is required?
    Try to get to a situation either where flash isn't required, or where less
    flash energy is required - a light-painted room, closer to the subject
    etc. There may be some general techniques like this which will help
    whatever camera you get. A large aperture lens, a large external flash,
    and the higher basic sensitivity of a DSLR may all help.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2005
  11. Guest

    MaryL Guest

    I do think it is related to the flash charging/recharging -- however, it
    frequently happens with the very first use of the flash, not just when
    recharging after a previous shot.
    That works with most of the pictures I take, but not under certain
    circumstances. For example, I *love* to take pictures of my cats -- and
    they do not cooperate by selecting the best-lit areas for their "poses."
    You are correct, though, that light-painted rooms create much less of a
    problem. I had already decided that I want an external flash with the new
    camera. For one thing, I would like to be able to use bounce light (cats'
    eyes again).

    MaryL, Mar 8, 2005
  12. Guest

    MaryL Guest

    Now we're back to the other problem I mentioned in one of my
    messages...there is literally *no* supplier that I have been able to find
    within reasonable driving distance that stocks the Nikon 8800, so I haven't
    been able to get any hands-on experience at all. I have been in email
    contact with a friend who bought an 8700, and he has not noticed shutter lag
    (or auto-focus lag). I hadn't asked about the Panasonic FZ20, so I don't
    know what the availability will be for that camera.
    Yes, weight and cost are also my concerns. I like having a camera that is
    as light-weight and portable as possible -- and that is a major reason why I
    am so interested in the 8800 as contrasted with D70.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 8, 2005
  13. MaryL wrote:
    []
    OK, suggestion then:

    - get the Panasonic FZ20 /and/ a flash which will suit both it and the
    D70.

    rationale:

    - if the FZ20 isn't up to it you can sell it on, and get the DSLR.

    - you'll obviously need a good, powerful flash.

    - the FZ20 isn't too expensive (at least compared to the DSLR and lens).

    drawbacks:

    - the FZ20 takes SD cards and a different proprietary battery to the
    Nikon, so you'd need to sell those on as well.

    Have fun deciding!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2005
  14. MaryL wrote:

    I picked up my old Canon EOS 10s film camera a few days ago (anyone want
    to buy one) and couldn't believe how big and heavy it was. I remembered
    why I didn't have pictures for a lot of trips, as I got tired of lugging
    it around. Before you buy a D70, walk around with one with a long zoom
    in a store for a while. Is that what you want? The Panasonic is a bit
    big as such cameras go, but it has a fast lens over the entire 12X zoom
    range and it is stablized. It is smaller than the D 70, as is the new
    Canon 350D. The shutter lag is quite small. If you are interested in
    bird photography, you are going to have to buy a heavy, expensive lens
    for a D70 to match what the 20Z has built in. I am not trying to sell
    you on a Z20. I am simply suggesting that you should try one, even if
    it means traveling a large distance. One drawback for me is that I
    have many compact flash cards, but a SD 500 MB card can be had for under
    $30, so I don't see that as a major problem.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, Mar 8, 2005

  15. Auto focus plus file storing time. Call it whatever, it's quite long
    in the 8800 compared to the D70.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 8, 2005

  16. There is a lot less "cat eye" problems with the D70 than the Coolpixs
    I've had.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 8, 2005
  17. Surely B&H or Ritz have return policies that make it feasible to check
    out the 8800.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 8, 2005
  18. Is that shooting RAW? File storing time has never been an issue on my
    Nikon 5700 or 8400, but I don't shoot RAW.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 9, 2005
  19. Guest

    Patrick Boch Guest

    The Panasonic is a sure bet...I agree it needs a MP boost...I'd think that's
    coming very soon.

    --

    Patrick Boch, Mar 9, 2005
  20. I shoot RAW most of the time. I notice no difference between RAW and
    FINE on the D70 but it's apparent on the Coolpix 5400

    Oliver Costich, Mar 9, 2005