    do-able?

    Regards,

    Ben

    kombi45, Jun 2, 2005

  2. kombi45

    Paul Rubin Guest

    The D70 will not meter exposure with manual focus lenses. It's almost
    not worth messing with them except maybe for some special
    applications. If you have autofocus lenses, you can use them. Note
    that the D70 sensor is about half the size of a full 35mm film frame.
    Basically it records the center part of the image. The lens coverage
    is reduced as if you'd multiplied the focal length by 1.5 or so. That
    means your 28-80 on a D70 will have similar coverage to a 45-120 on
    your N80. So, your telephotos become "better" (a 200mm acts like a
    300mm) but your wideangles become "worse" (a 20mm acts like a 30mm).

    There are some lenses now that are designed to ONLY work with the
    digital sensor. These are designated "DX". The D70's kit lens, the
    18-70 AF-S DX G, is a pretty good lens and you will probably be
    happier with it than if you try to use an older lens. It has about
    the same coverage as a 28-105 would have on your N80. But it will
    only work properly on digital bodies. It will vignette badly on the
    N80.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 2, 2005

  3. kombi45

    kombi45 Guest

    Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the Nikkor AF 28-80mm is an autofocus
    lens:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=220376&is=USA

    Cheap, but autofocus. So this would roughly equate to 120mm on the
    N80, huh? Unless this particular lens doesn't work well with the D70,
    I'm pretty sure this is how I want to start things. Let me know if I'm
    still missing something.

    Ben

    kombi45, Jun 2, 2005
  4. kombi45

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Yes, the 28-80 AF will work ok on the D70 if you don't mind the
    coverage change. You asked in the subject line about 35mm lenses in
    general, not just the 28-80 AF, so I mentioned the limitation of MF lenses.

    Also, if your 28-80 is not a D lens (it might be but I'm not sur), you
    won't get all the D70's fancy flash metering capabilities.
    It's a reasonable way to start, especially if you're satisfied with
    that lens on the N80. The 18-70 AF-S DX G on the D70 will focus
    faster than the 28-80 and in general perform a bit better, plus have
    more wideangle coverage, so you'll probably like it better than the
    28-80, but on the other hand, it's another lens to buy.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 2, 2005
  5. kombi45

    [BnH] Guest

    If its AF .. 99% it will work.
    But do mind, the D70 kit lens [ 18-70 DX ] is an unpolished gem. for the
    price ... it is very cheap.
    [ SWM and ED element ]

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jun 2, 2005
  6. kombi45

    kombi45 Guest

    To be totally honest, I am not entirely satisfied with it now that I
    have started getting somewhat serious about photography. However, I
    can live with it for a while longer...especially if it means saving a
    few bucks for the time being. Here's the beginnings of a "portfolio"
    all taken w/ the N80 and the AF 28-80mm.

    http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy

    Regards,

    Ben

    kombi45, Jun 2, 2005
  7. kombi45

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You might be happiest just selling off the N80 and 28-80 while they're
    still worth something, and getting a D70 with the 18-70.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 2, 2005
  8. kombi45

    kombi45 Guest

    No way I'm selling it for several reasons - first and foremost it was a
    wedding gift from the wife, and secondly I still want to do 35mm. Not
    to mention I wouldn't get shit for it when the lens new is $79 and the
    camera can be found for ~$299 if you look around. Not worth it.

    Regards,

    Ben

    kombi45, Jun 2, 2005
  9. kombi45

    Roger Guest

    Ben,

    Seems like there's been a lot of good advise and input on this thread
    already. I want to reinforce the suggestion of the D70 with kit lens
    choice. There's a current listing on B&H for the D70 with 18-70mm
    Nikkor for about $900 after rebate. That's only a $220 premium for the
    lens. It's an excellent lens and will outperform your current lens.

    Anyway, my input.

    Roger

    Roger, Jun 2, 2005
  10. kombi45

    kombi45 Guest

    Thanks Roger. I will check that out - BTW, is it the USA or grey
    market camera/lens kit?

    Ben

    kombi45, Jun 2, 2005
  12. kombi45

    Roger Guest

    I purchased a 28 - 105 f 3.5 - 4.5 D Nikor close focus lens last
    week. It is designed for the 35s but works just great on the D-70
    Great enough that I may start using it as the standard lens on the
    D-70 instead of the kit lens. I would like it to be a bit faster, but
    the sharpness is outstanding and it'll focus to within about 4 inches.
    I can also still use it on my 35s for those occasions where I still
    shoot film.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    ..