Nikon D70 and Lexar 40X memory problem.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I have two Pentium-4 PCs, both running Windows-XP Pro
    with SP2 installed.

    In one PC I have an external USB SanDisk card reader, and
    my second PC has a built-in USB2 card reader FA402A Mitsumi,
    this is an integrated 7-in-1 media drive that reads floppy drive,
    Compact Flash cards and other media.

    When I use the USB SanDisk card reader, dragging the picture
    files from my 1Gig Lexar 40X to my computer number one, there
    is no problem. But when I use my second PC with the Mitsumi
    reader, after dragging some files, a warning pops out warning
    about some sort of error, and after that the Lexar card becomes
    unusable. No mater what I try, the Lexar card does not work with the Mitsumi
    reader while other cards do. After the failure, not even the Lexar Image
    Rescue 2
    program can read the card. Lexar replaced the card twice, but same happens.

    Anybody has had a similar problem with the Lexar card?

    Thanks in advance.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Paul

    Ed Ruf Guest

    It would have been better to leave the D70 off the subject line and put in
    the Mitsumi. I can't see how the D70 has anything to do with the problem.

    That said, the problem is isolated to the second PC. So what is different?
    Mitsumi vs Sandisk
    USB 1.x vs 2
    PCs - are these the same MB, controllers etc, or are these
    different too?

    If you use the Sandisk on the second machine does it work?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    You are right ED, my mistake. As I have had
    no problems with my other camera cards (Kodak), at the moment I posted the
    message
    I suspected the D70 software may have to do with the problem.

    Yes, if I plug the SanDisk on the second computer it works fine.
    I have now removed the Mitsumi Combo reader, and later I'm going to buy a
    new
    reader to replace it.
    I liked the file transfer speed of the Mitsumi but I can't trust this device
    any more.

    Thanks again
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 30, 2004