    the lens damaging the D70's mount?

    Thanks

    JC

    jc, May 10, 2005

  2. jc

    Jan Bøgh Guest

    No problem - You've got a fine lense often offering a very good QPR when
    bought second hand. I have sold mine and have got a 80-200 instead - it's
    heavy!
    And right now I'm seriously thinking about getting a AF 70-210 4-5.6 on eBay
    for traveling purposes.

    regards
    Jan

    Jan Bøgh, May 10, 2005

  3. jc

    Paul Furman Guest

    It should have a mounting foot on the lens at the middle balance point.
    Otherwise it'll bounce like crazy on a tripod. You'll need a sturdy
    tripod too.

    Paul Furman, May 10, 2005
  4. jc

    jc Guest

    HI folks.

    Well my main worry is in carrying the D70 around with the lens
    attached. With the 18-70 kit lens, the camera already leans awkwardly
    forward when worn around the neck, or way off to one side if over the
    shoulder. With a 70-210 attached, how can I realistically carry it,
    except in the bag. I don't want to have to go about cradling it by the
    lebs all the time!

    Cheers

    JC

    jc, May 10, 2005
  5. jc

    Paul Furman Guest

    I swing my 70-200 VR by the tripod foot. It's "L" shaped and makes a
    good handle. For some reason I just hate straps.

    Paul Furman, May 10, 2005
  6. jc

    [BnH] Guest

    I have one atm [and its for auction in eBAY :)] and that lens is actually
    very light :)
    Considering I carried around 80-200 /2.8 , Sigma Bigma 50-500 or Nikkor
    600mm last time.
    and I assure you, you won't have any problem mounting that on a D70 .. as my
    friend who uses D70 lugs around a 80-400 lens everytime :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], May 10, 2005
  7. jc

    Ed Ruf Guest

    I carry my D70 around with the 70-200 f/2.8 IF VR AF-S attached quite
    frequently and also with the TC-20EII in between as well. I've seen no
    problems.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 10, 2005
  8. jc

    Ed Ruf Guest

    hang it off your shoulder with the lens facing in towards your body. I
    walk around the woods frequently this way.

    Ed Ruf, May 10, 2005
  9. jc

    Jan Bøgh Guest

    The 70-200 VR is much more heavy than the 70-210 4-5.6.
    There's absolutely no problems in carrying it with a normal strap.

    regards
    Jan

    Jan Bøgh, May 10, 2005
  10. jc

    Frederick Guest

    It is a small lens, about 650 grams and only about 15mm longer than an
    18-70 "kit" lens when set at 70mm / infinity focus. But it is very
    uncomfortable to swing from a neck strap.

    Consider getting it serviced if it is stiff or loose. These lenses act
    like pumps, and can suck all sorts of crap inside. Some can end up
    behind the front element. Some can blow back through the stop-down
    lever at the rear of the lens, to land on your mirror/screen/sensor. I
    have not fully disassembled mine, but it looks like there is felt under
    the zoom ring, which should filter big bits of dust out - if it is in
    good condition.

    I am *quite* happy with mine. It is not very sharp at less than F8 or
    so, but stays sharp from 70 to 210 at that setting. The always rotating
    focus ring and front element is a nuisance. The infinity setting is a
    pain. It does focus fast, but quite noisily. The little pin to lock
    the aperture ring is too easily bumped when you attach the lens. If I
    was to replace it, then I think I might like the new 55-200 DX ED lens
    for a D70. Smaller, probably also quieter, non-rotating front element,
    probably sharper with the ED elements, probably faster focusing. Time
    has moved on.

    Frederick, May 11, 2005
  11. jc

    Ken Tough Guest

    Yes, the AF-S would make a huge difference. I agree, they'd make
    a nice pair (if the 55-200 has as good MTF figures). I really wish
    they'd made it VR, or at least a tad faster (f4, say) but you can't
    have it all..

    Ken Tough, May 11, 2005
  12. jc

    Frederick Guest

    Apparently US $250 suggested price.
    Be interesting to see if it's as well made as the 18-70. It should take
    good photos - better than my 70-210.
    I expect that you will see other DX format long telephoto zooms, with VR
    and all the other bells and whistles appear before too much longer.
    If I was a pro with a D2X shooting sport or ducks or whatever, a
    smaller, faster, lighter, cheaper, newer, fast long zoom or fixed focal
    length telephoto would be very high on my must-have list. Only
    masochists and exhibitionists could disagree.

    Frederick, May 11, 2005
  13. jc

    Ken Tough Guest

    I don't know about better. That lens is nice and sharp too.
    I won't be buying the DX telephoto until I can get it VR. The benefits
    to me would be light weight and AF-S focussing. For light weight it'll
    have to be relatively slow (~f5.6) so for a telephoto and slow, the VR
    is a must. They already have the excellent fast VR telephoto, but
    that's too clunky for most non-photo related trips & stuff.

    Ken Tough, May 12, 2005