    light.
    I am also going to sell my old Nikon 20mm f.4, which was great on my
    D300, but I will not be using it on my D800.

    PeterN, Mar 2, 2013

  2. Joe Mastroianni

    Don Wiss Guest

    Yes I did. The 10-24 weighs 460g and my 12-24 weighs 485g. An insignificant
    reduction. I could have also saved some weight by switching my D300 to a
    lighter Nikon body. I spent a lot of time comparing weights. But the weight
    savings by switching to m4/3 was so dramatic, especially in the longer
    range, that there was no way that I was not going to dump the Nikon.

    I do no studio photography. All pictures are taken in the field. Usually
    with the equipment strapped around my waist as I am bicycling (I have no
    car).

    I only take pictures for the web. I have no need for a larger sensor.

    At one time people were fond of large format. Then it became medium format.
    Then 35mm. It is only a matter of time before 35mm will be a niche product,
    like medium format is now.

    My GH3 body weighs 540g. The 600mm equivalent telephoto weighs 460g. A neat
    1000g total. What does your D800 weigh with a 600mm lens? Looking at
    DPreview now I see the D800 is 900g before any lenses.

    Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Mar 2, 2013

  3. Joe Mastroianni

    David Taylor Guest

    On 02/03/2013 02:26, Don Wiss wrote:
    []
    I've handled the Nikon D800 with 28-300 mm lens, and while the
    viewfinder is superb and the images are excellent, the owner is welcome
    to keep that camera and lens - its weight and bulk are not for me (but
    he is very pleased with it).

    David Taylor, Mar 2, 2013
  4. Joe Mastroianni

    nick c Guest

    Yes sir, David, I know of others who feel the same way about toting bulk
    weight. As for me,
    I have more of a difficult time holding my Canon G12 steady than I do my
    Nikon D700 with the 17-35 f2.8 lens or the D300 with the Nikon 24-120 f4
    lens. Both are heavy setups and tend to help stabilize my shaky right
    hand. Aging does that to a person. :) Recently I bought a small hand
    grip to add to the Canon G12 to make it heavier.

    nick c, Mar 2, 2013
  5. [/QUOTE]
    Must be a telephone conversation with that colony on Mars.
    | Let's just say that some
    | component --- in this case on my side --- doesn't (and often
    | cannot) pull and push usenet postings in near real time, due
    | to the fact that it doesn't have a connection round the clock.
    | Syncing is performed when it's opportune.

    Doesn't that answer the question?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 2, 2013
  6. Newsflash: This has happened a few years ago. The dominant
    species is the mobile phone camera, followed by a distant
    second, the compact camera. Their sensor sizes are tiny and
    small, whereas 4/3rds is already large.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 2, 2013
  7. Joe Mastroianni

    PeterN Guest

    I understand completely. I would have a lot of concern taking my
    equipment on a bicycle. I like to take images and print them at 12x18,
    with heavy cropping. I started my digital phase with a P&S, but quickly
    became disenchanted. I wound up converting it to IR, and it suits that
    purpose fine.
    If I felt I could get the image quality I like, with a lighter weight
    camera, I would do so in a flash.

    PeterN, Mar 2, 2013
  8. Joe Mastroianni

    nick c Guest

    I like the G12 camera though I don't use it as often as I thought I
    would. If I were to give to my wife she would probably use it as a door
    stopper. No (shrug) ... it's a keeper. When used with Canon's 270EX
    Speedlight it could be quite a camera. I just wish it had a better body
    design.

    nick c, Mar 2, 2013
  9. Joe Mastroianni

    John Turco Guest

    In late November of 2012, my ISP ("Concentric") informed me that
    it was cancelling its dial-up service (on January 21, 2013). Then,
    early December found me connected via DSL, with my phone company
    ("CenturyLink").

    However, I still have Concentric, at a greatly-reduced monthly fee.
    I want it for e-mail and Usenet ("Eternal September" is my NNTP
    news server).

    Last summer, I'd begun using Mozilla "Thunderbird" (after some 16
    years of "Netscape" happiness). My favorite e-mail/Usenet program
    (Netscape "Communicator" 4.8) won't install on any Windows version
    newer than XP, unfortunately.

    I'm currently on Vista 64-bit and so, was forced to to make a
    move. Alas, Thunderbird is so damned unintuitive and illogical,
    compared to Communicator!
    Thunderbird does precisely as you've stated. (But, there are
    ways around this issue.)
    Obviously, I easily understand Wolfgang Weisselberg's posting
    problems.

    John

    John Turco, Mar 4, 2013
  10. Joe Mastroianni

    John Turco Guest

    On 3/2/2013 10:39 AM, PeterN wrote:

    Pun intended?

    John

    John Turco, Mar 4, 2013
  11. I tried to get the cable company to lay a broadband connection
    to the trains and planes I use, but *they* say the cable
    would rip off if they moved ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 5, 2013
  12. The clock is synced to the correct time. Automatically.
    Whenever there's an Internet connection. Which means it may
    be off 2 minutes if I don't have Internet for a whole month.
    Sure. Usenet started in the 20th century, and not even in
    the final decades of it.
    You haven't encountered anyone who posts while travelling?
    It seems you're still stuck in the mid 20'th century where
    laptops, nettops, notebooks, tablets, smartphones and even PDAs
    SIMPLY DON'T EXIST? Do computers still weight at least 25 kg
    and use a heavy CRT in your world and therefore won't travel?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 5, 2013
  13. How do they manage to supply planes and trains?
    Technically, you're wrong. There is a usenet server between
    the client and the upstream servers, which lives on the laptop.
    The client therefore can't add the date stamp of whenever the
    server uplinks to his server, and of course the server is not
    allowed to change such info.
    If you want immediate, go use a phone or a chat of some sort.
    Email is store and forward, Usenet is flood fill, both are
    only bet effort.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 5, 2013
  14. Joe Mastroianni

    PeterN Guest

    No. I gave up punning, ever since I tried to make ten people laugh by
    making ten different puns, and no pun in ten did.

    PeterN, Mar 6, 2013