    But, every time I set it to center spot focus, it only stays that way
    until I turn the camera off.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Joe Mastroianni, Feb 22, 2013

  2. Joe Mastroianni

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The same thing that the rest of us are doing "wrong". It doesn't work
    the way you want. For anyone.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 22, 2013

  3. Geez Louise! Are you serious? (Thanks for helping me ... I'm just
    incredulous!).

    You mean I can't set my Nikon SLR to be center focused and STAY that way?

    What's the logic in that?

    Joe Mastroianni, Feb 22, 2013
  4. Joe Mastroianni

    me Guest

    But you really don't even need to use the lock. Your D300s will stay
    on whatever point you set prior to turning it off. Of course the lock
    stops you from being able to move it by (inadvertently) touching the
    selector.

    me, Feb 22, 2013
  5. Joe Mastroianni

    Don Wiss Guest

    It is called product differentiation, and Nikon is a pro at pulling it off.

    Take their J1 and V1 mirrorless cameras. They put a lot of thought into
    making sure that they have no appeal to the DSLR customers, and would only
    appeal to P&S upgraders. (Sensor too small, multiple colors a selling
    point, etc.)

    I'm dumping Nikon and going with a m4/3 camera. It is a standard, and you
    can mix and match lenses from different vendors. As more vendors join there
    will be more price and feature competition.

    The one I bought is the Panasonic GH3. Consumer Reports just came out with
    a camera report. And the GH3 is their top DSLR-like, and is one point
    higher than the top ranked DSLR.

    With your D5000 glass is heavy, and you don't get much in the way of
    telephoto.

    Don Wiss, Feb 22, 2013
  6. Joe Mastroianni

    Don Wiss Guest

    If you use you left eye, you can very easily hit the selector dial with
    your nose. The lock is needed.

    Don Wiss, Feb 22, 2013
  7. I didn't know about this feature so it might be used as a workaround.
    Thanks.

    Joe Mastroianni, Feb 22, 2013
  8. I've found all the focus methods lacking other than plain and
    simple center focus.

    My 1:2:3 methodology is simple (KISS):
    0. I let the camera do the exposure metering
    1. I focus on the subject (half press)
    2. I compose the picture (pressing to keep the subject in focus)
    3. I count (if human) to give them time to smile

    A good percentage of the time, the auto-focus picks the wrong
    subject to focus on, especially for mechanical objects.

    Joe Mastroianni, Feb 22, 2013
  9. I'll try that new technique.

    Although, it certainly is more comfortable to just focus,
    then compose ... rather than compose and then focus.

    Joe Mastroianni, Feb 23, 2013
  10. Joe Mastroianni

    David Taylor Guest

    On 22/02/2013 23:27, Don Wiss wrote:
    []
    I found that 4/3 was not /than/ much smaller and lighter than my D5000,
    and it was more expensive than I wanted to pay, so I got a "bridge"
    camera to complement my D5000. I went for the Sony HX200V, which has a
    zoom range of 27 - 810 mm (equivalent).

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx200v/

    Been quite pleased with it so far, and I've kept the DSLR for when it's
    really needed (not very often so far!).

    David Taylor, Feb 23, 2013
  11. Joe Mastroianni

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:50:42 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    :
    : > Rather than the old trick of pre-focusing, AF lock ,
    : > and reframe. Just move the focus point to cover your subject wherever
    : > you want it in the frame and shoot. Then push that "OK" button to
    : > recenter.
    :
    : I'll try that new technique.
    :
    : Although, it certainly is more comfortable to just focus,
    : then compose ... rather than compose and then focus.

    But the latter is more accurate, on average, especially at wide apertures or
    when the subject isn't very far away. Whenever you move the camera, you're
    bound to introduce a bit of fore-and-aft motion, and you're relying on the
    depth of field to bail you out.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 23, 2013
  12. Joe Mastroianni

    Don Wiss Guest

    The m4/3 bodies vary in size. Size was not my issue, but weight was. My
    Nikon is still a D300, which is heavier than the plastic ones that lack a
    focus motor in the body. I do plan to sell off my Nikon stuff, except for
    my Nikon 950. For macros its small sensor makes it easier to get the object
    all in focus.
    One option for you would be to get one of the smaller m4/3 bodies and the
    Panasonic 7-14 lens. That gives you 14-28 equivalent, which would nicely
    fill in under the Sony.

    Not that I'm taking many storefront pictures these days, but if there is a
    large vehicle parked in front it can be hard to get a picture. Wider makes
    it easier.

    Don. www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

    Don Wiss, Feb 23, 2013
  13. Joe Mastroianni

    David Taylor Guest

    On 23/02/2013 20:27, Don Wiss wrote:
    []
    I still have my Nikon Coolpix 990 (and the original Nikon Coolpix 900)
    and you are right that they make excellent macro cameras. They also
    have an entrance pupil similar to that of the eye, so you can press them
    up against telescopes etc. and take the view through the instrument with
    little loss. I still have my D60 DSLR in case the D5000 fails.

    Good point about the wide-angle. One of my favourite lenses for the
    D5000 has been my Tamron 10-24 mm, so about 15-36 mm equivalent on the
    D5000. I could certainly live with 14-28 mm for wide angle,
    complementing the Sony's 27 - 810 mm nicely. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I've yet to be on a trip where I have both the DSLR and the bridge
    cameras, but I did try taking /only/ the bridge camera on a recent trip
    to the Netherlands:

    http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2012/09-The-Netherlands/index.html
    http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2012/09-The-Netherlands/album/index.html

    When I'm in town or just want a quick "snap" the iPad 3 camera or even
    the Huawei Ascend G300 phone (both 5 MP) suffice.

    https://twitter.com/gm8arv/status/304294678151450625/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/gm8arv/status/303545017543311360/photo/1

    David Taylor, Feb 24, 2013
  14. Joe Mastroianni

    John Turco Guest

    Well, "suffice" is the optimal word! Those "bridge cameras" snap much
    better shots, as your Netherlands photos clearly attest.

    John

    John Turco, Feb 25, 2013
  15. Joe Mastroianni

    David Taylor Guest

    On 25/02/2013 03:09, John Turco wrote:
    []
    Yes, John, and the DSLR would be better again. I suppose I'm using the
    word "suffice" in an engineering context - if the picture is for Twitter
    then there's little point in having it greater than, say, 1024 x 768 or
    the 16:9 equivalent as the great majority of viewers will be using no
    more than that display resolution, and the great majority won't mind the
    greater noise in the lower light images. Most will be looking at what
    the images show (e.g, that's a great-looking place!) rather than their
    technical merit.

    Were I asked to do anything serious, it would likely be the DSLR I would
    take, but for carrying round on a day's walking it would be the bridge
    camera, and for those occasions when I don't have "a camera" with me,
    the 'phone and iPad mean that I now have pictures where I would
    otherwise not. Oh, and DSLR cameras might not have been welcome at a
    recent event where the star of the TV series "Borgen" was in Edinburgh
    answering questions:

    https://twitter.com/gm8arv/status/298064703312261121/photo/1

    Mind you, you do feel a little self-concious holding up an iPad to take
    photos!

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019ch5q
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21322318

    David Taylor, Feb 25, 2013
  16. Joe Mastroianni

    John Turco Guest

    Personally, I love "super zoom" models. My top one is a Nikon "P500"
    (36x optical, 12 megapixels). It was purchased last May (refurbished,
    in like-new condition), but, never used.

    A Kodak "P850" is my photographic workhorse, although it was introduced
    'way back in 2005; it's 12x and 5 MP, and has around 22,000 images to
    its credit.
    In that thumbnail portrait, you bear a striking resemblance to Santa Claus.
    I haven't watched television at all, in years.

    John

    John Turco, Feb 25, 2013
  17. Using 2. you make *sure* that the focus is behind the object
    you focussed on in 1. The more 2., the more behind. (If that
    matters depends on the DOF.)

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 25, 2013
  18. Joe Mastroianni

    David Taylor Guest

    Depending on the time of year, my street response (when appropriate) may
    be "God bless you, my son!", or "Ho, ho ho!". A round Christmas-time,
    children on the 'bus are often slightly concerned to see me, and do
    wonder about Father Christmas!

    David Taylor, Feb 26, 2013
  19.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 26, 2013
  20. Because the posts were indeed written on the date they carry,
    but didn't reach you before Wednesday evening Zulu Time.

    Oh. You don't get it yet. Usenet, like email, is NOT a phone
    conversation. It's a store and forward medium. Immediate
    delivery is not guaranteed, heck, delivery isn't guaranteed.
    In case of email, it's "best effort", in case of Usenet, "flood
    fill". It's an offline medium. It's not real time at all.

    Still no enlightenment? OK. Let's just say that some
    component --- in this case on my side --- doesn't (and often
    cannot) pull and push usenet postings in near real time, due
    to the fact that it doesn't have a connection round the clock.
    Syncing is performed when it's opportune.

    Any more questions? Ah, yes. No, I don't think a backup
    satellite internet connection is worth it just so you get my
    postings earlier. After all, you don't read 24/7 either.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 1, 2013