Nikon D50 with AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D lens returns FEE error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by WimR, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. WimR

    WimR Guest

    When using my brand new Nikon D50 with the AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D
    lens, it returns an FEE error, even though I have put the apperture to
    its smallest setting of f22.

    When using other Nikkor Lenses such as AF 35-70 1:2.8 D, or the 20mm
    1:2.8 the problem does not occur.

    As far as I can see from readings and the manual the 80-200 lens should
    be compatible with the D50.
    When I use the lens on a non digital camers ( Nikon F90) , I have no
    problems.

    Does anybody know why this occurs and if/how it can be resolved ???

    Many thanks for your help.
    krgds

    WimR, Feb 28, 2006

  2. I would expect that the most likely explanation is that something is broken
    and requires service.

    Andrew Koenig, Feb 28, 2006

  3. WimR

    Denny Guest

    Is the aperature switch on the barrel of the lens all the way to the
    left for automatic operation? If it is and you still get the error
    message then there is likely a problem with the electrical contacts on
    the lens... I have the same lens and it works perfectly on my D50...

    denny

    Denny, Feb 28, 2006
  4. There's a small switch on the D50 lens mount at about the 8 o'clock position
    as you look at the front of the body. When the 80-200 is set to it's
    minimum aperture, check that this switch is engaged by a tab on the lens
    aperture ring. If it isn't then the lens is broken in that it has a tab
    missing from the aperture ring. Otherwise it must be an electrical contact
    problem.

    Ronnie

    Ronnie Sellar, Feb 28, 2006
  5. WimR