    The Nikon D40 performs really well although it is a little more
    expensive. The D50 and K110D are about $50 less.

    - Jon

    dslr_shooter, Dec 11, 2006

  2. dslr_shooter

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks a lot for that, Jon - very helpful!

    I'm currently looking an entry level digital SLR :)

    Cheers

    Jeff (UK)

    Jeff, Dec 12, 2006

  3. dslr_shooter

    map Guest

    me too, but read this review carefully, this site is clearly nikon oriented.

    map, Dec 13, 2006
  4. dslr_shooter

    joefoto Guest

    Jon,

    Had been stuggling with decision about Nikon vs Pentax low end DSLR.
    Was leaning heavily to Nikon because of multiple reported differences
    in expectation versus Pentax exposure readings. But have been usinr IS
    functions brom K-M and Panasonic for a couple of years. Put the D50 w/
    28-80 Nikkor on order yesterday. Thanks for pointing out new site.

    Joe

    joefoto, Dec 13, 2006
  5. dslr_shooter

    Jeff Guest

    Cheers, - the D40 does seem to get very good reviews in the magazines
    I've read.

    I didn't realise that it didn't have an auto focus motor built into the
    body - does this mean you have to use Nikon AF-S lenses if you want AF?

    Jeff (UK)

    Jeff, Dec 14, 2006
  6. dslr_shooter

    dslr_shooter Guest

    Hi Jeff,

    With respect to the D40, yes you have to use Nikon AF-S lenses to get
    auto focus. You can use the other Nikon AF lenses and all the metering
    will work although you will loose the ability to have AF. The cameras
    Electronic Range Finder does work with these lenses so you do get focus
    confirmation when you manually focus with those types of non AF-S
    lenses.

    All the best,

    Jon

    dslr_shooter, Dec 14, 2006
  7. dslr_shooter

    Guest

    Or Sigma USM.

    Jeroen
    http://wijnands.blogspot.com

    , Dec 14, 2006
  8. dslr_shooter

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Whichever SLR I go for, I'd like to buy Sigma or Tamron for additional
    lenses.

    Cheers,

    Jeff (UK)

    Jeff, Dec 15, 2006