Nikon D3x - First News

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by leaker, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. leaker

    leaker Guest

    You read it here first, a genuine leak::

    Model name: Nikon D3x (may change to D4)

    Specifications (where different from those of the Nikon D3)
    Maximum resolution: 5960 x 3964 (23.6 MP)
    Sensor details: 35.9 x 23.9 mm FX full-frame CMOS, RGB, made by Nikon, Inc.
    AF: Nikon Multi-CAM4000 DX (provisional name)
    ISO range: 100-6400 in 0.5 or 0.33 EV steps (50 - 12800 in menu mode)
    Maximum speed: 6.5 fps @ 23.6 MP and 11 fps @ 10 MP (almost up to the D3)
    Movie mode: Yes (may be withdrawn because of import duty rates in US/EU)
    LCD pixel count: 1080000
    Weight with batteries: approx. 1.4 kg
    MSRP: USD 6750
    http://www.snipurl.com/5ac80b4 (or google it this got taken down once)
    Comments: Sensor noise performance is only marginally below that of the D3,
    so D3x noise at say 200 ISO = D3 noise at 400 ISO. Expected release date
    April 2008 but if likely to be delayed I predict it will be announced as
    the Nikon D4.

    Not much on the lens front after the new releases, but there was work on a
    300mm f1.8 and there's been a 200mm f1.4 on the drawing board since 2006. I
    predict it will not see the light of day as the sensitivity/noise
    performance of the D3/D3x sensors makes superfast lenses redundant except
    for DOF control. Who wants an extra 3 kg of weight for marginally better
    bokeh?

    leaker, Nov 26, 2007

  2. leaker

    Bryan Guest

    The link you gave worked the first time but when I went back it said it was
    invalid ?

    This must be the fabled Nikon D4 - not D3x which was renamed the D3 in
    August.

    23.6MP is more than the Canon EOS-1ds MkIII which has 21.6MP if I remember.

    If this is true Canon may as well pack up shop and go back to photocopiers.

    Nikon has them beat on S/N, beat on FPS, beat on gradation, beat on AF
    speed,
    beat on AF accuracy, beat on lens choice, beat on lens quality, beat on
    price
    and so once Nikon has Canon beat on MP too it is a full house.

    Bryan, Nov 26, 2007

  3. leaker

    Tony Polson Guest

    It would be wonderful, if only it were true.

    Tony Polson, Nov 26, 2007
  4. leaker

    Yoshi Guest

    A 300mm 1.8 ? Just WTF are you smoking, dude?

    Yoshi

    Yoshi, Nov 26, 2007
  5. While it would be great for Canon to get some competition at the high
    end in bodies, at the current juncture Canon is so far ahead in
    selection of lenses, noise, and auto-focus, that all the professionals
    that needed full frame at high resolution have already made the switch
    and aren't going back. Nikon used to have an advantage in flashes, but
    Canon is now at par. Where Nikon is really lagging is in high end
    lenses, they have nothing as good as the fluorite coated Canon
    professional lenses (white lenses), and even if they decided to take on
    Canon in lenses they are limited by their lens mount.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 26, 2007
  6. leaker

    RichA Guest

    There is no such frigging THING as fluorite "coated" lenses. Lenses
    in the past had single-layer magnesium-fluoriDe anti-reflection
    coatings, and the Canon lenses you are talking about use whole
    elements made of fluorite to facilitate colour correction. They use
    them in Canon television camera lenses as well.

    RichA, Nov 26, 2007
  7. Such a frigging IMPORTANT correction.

    John McWilliams, Nov 26, 2007
  8. leaker

    acl Guest

    Well, if someone's trying to appear knowledgeable about cars, it does
    make a difference if he says "car made of paint" as opposed to "car
    covered with paint", no? But if you point out to him that the elements
    aren't coated with fluorite (which is crystalline, by the way) but
    made of it, you're a troll :)

    acl, Nov 26, 2007
  9. Well, better analogy would be silicon and silicone. Try an implant made of
    the former or a CPU made of the latter.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 26, 2007
  10. leaker

    Sosumi Guest

    What do you need? 400, 500 or 600mm with VR? I don´t think Canon goed beyond
    that...
    Besides, I would hate to scare nature with that butt ugly rocket launcher.
    Clearly made to have free advertising on sport events. Not good for anything
    else...specially the 1Ds MIII that is too slow...

    Sosumi, Nov 26, 2007
  11. leaker

    Peter Chant Guest

    Tony Polson wrote:

    Being cynical - I wonder if marketing types deliberately leak this sort of
    thing occasionally to stir up a bit of interest. You'd have to be
    confident that your produce was going to be as 'leaked' and also confident
    that your competitors could not pull a competing product 'out the bag', in
    a sensible time scale, before you released yours.

    Just wondering if it happens.

    Peter Chant, Nov 26, 2007
  12. leaker

    Annika1980 Guest

    If Nikon continues their usual release schedule the D4 should be
    available in early '08. That's 3008.

    Annika1980, Nov 26, 2007
  13. leaker

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    An 800mm is either just out or will soon be (in days rather than
    weeks).

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 26, 2007
  14. Naw, just by being a braggart at the pub or having a
    "mine's bigger than yours" conversation at a trade show.

    The usual source of product leaks is from customers who were
    on focus panels or involved in product testing.

    Industrial/commercial marketing has little in common with
    Hollywood marketing. If the Nican Dxx was sold to 12 year
    old girls of whatever age things might be different.
    A good working assumption is people are pretty
    much the same: CEO's are as much insecure ignorant
    arseholes as the rest of us.

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Nov 26, 2007
  15. leaker

    ASAAR Guest

    Hard to believe considering the source, but yes, it's a good,
    perhaps even 'important' correction. Not just because it points out
    the mistake made by equating a lens material with a lens coating,
    but because it makes clear how suspect the qualifications and
    opinions of this self-proclaimed 'expert' really are. The SMS shill
    continues to hide, but RichA accepts your apology. :)

    ASAAR, Nov 26, 2007
  16. leaker

    TH O Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Canon may be ahead regarding noise and megapixels but not lenses and AF.

    I've never heard anyone say the flashes are equal. If nearly every
    photojournalist switched to Canon - from Nikon - due to VR and an early
    lead in digital bodies, what makes you think such a transition could not
    happen again?

    You're kidding, right? Equivalent high-end Canon lenses have nothing
    over their Nikon counterparts other than cost, and the Nikons have
    nothing over the Canons.

    TH O, Nov 26, 2007
  17. Canon may be ahead regarding noise and megapixels but not lenses and AF.

    I've never heard anyone say the flashes are equal. If nearly every
    photojournalist switched to Canon - from Nikon - due to VR and an early
    lead in digital bodies, what makes you think such a transition could not
    happen again?[/QUOTE]

    I'm sure it could, but once someone has heavily invested in lenses,
    there needs to be a _really_ good reason to switch. Canon provided this
    reason when Nikon was so late with their high-end professional models.
    It's the early adopters that often pay for the development costs of new
    models, and you need enough of them that will jump in and pay the big
    bucks before competition drives down the prices.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 26, 2007
  18. LOL! You're not kidding! I learned this the hard way, but really I should
    have known better. I looked at price only when I bought the Fabulous 500
    thinking that the $2,000+ savings over the Nikkor would be sweet. Really,
    how much difference can there be in build and optical quality? It seems a
    lot! It really seems now that paying up the extra $2K still would have been
    a bargain for the Nikkor. I'm officially on the Nikon wait list for the
    "Formidable 500" while searching for a home for the Fabulous 500.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 26, 2007
  19. leaker

    TH O Guest

    Agreed, first it was VR for the photojournalists and then the digital
    bodies caused the full transition. There definitely has to be a
    significant reason for photogs to switch and that reason doesn't
    currently exist.

    TH O, Nov 26, 2007
  20. leaker

    Robert Brace Guest

    And still we get the same old bullshit from the Canon shills like Steven
    (SMS ???.? these days) about how Nikon "can't do it" with their lens mount!!
    Wish they'd get a new agenda or (in Steven's case) stick to bicycles &
    coffee.
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Nov 27, 2007