Nikon D200 Price increase!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris W, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    Back around the first of the year I was looking at the Nikon D200 and
    decided to wait a while to see if the price would go down. Now it seems
    it has gone up $200, what is up with that? It also seems no one has the
    body only in stock, just packages with a lens or lens and flash card.
    Any one have any idea if or when the camera body only will be available
    again and why can't they just sell the body from the package groups?

    --
    Chris W
    KE5GIX

    "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
    One stop wish list for any gift,
    from anywhere, for any occasion!
    http://thewishzone.com

    Chris W, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Hmm ... $1499 is about as cheap as I have ever seen it with reputable
    retailers. http://tinyurl.com/2fotqs

    Granted, it seems to be back ordered at the moment. I got mine for much less
    than that at Best Buy because they wouldn't honor my 10% coupon and they were
    about to watch me walk out the door. It wasn't until I left that I realized
    they gave me 10% off of the sales price at the time (which was $1599). $1439
    was a great price last year.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Chris W

    frederick Guest

    Just a guess, but you might find that prices start falling within about
    24 hours from now, and that many used ones start appearing for sale on EBay.

    frederick, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Chris W

    Allen Guest

    From your address you appear to be in the US. Check what has happened
    to the exchange rate. The old greenback she ain't what she used to be.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Chris W

    Neil H. Guest

    Sounds like they may be getting ready to announce a new model, and existing
    stocks of D200s are getting low. Just a guess, but I've seen that happen
    before. Prices of a given model naturally decline over time, but rise at the
    very end as availability becomes limited while demand continues..

    Neil

    Neil H., Aug 23, 2007
  6. Chris W

    george Guest

    I seem to recall seeing it for $1399 awhile back at JandR and another
    reputable dealer. I haven't seen it that cheap since then.

    george, Aug 23, 2007
  7. New Nikon D3 and D300 previewed here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    They look like winners!

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Chris W

    Don Wiss Guest

    And the D300 weighs less than my D200. I've already added myself to the
    queue.

    Don Wiss, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Don,

    As a matter of interest, if weight is important to you, why didn't you go
    for the D40/D40x? and the kit lens?

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 23, 2007
  10. Chris W

    Cynicor Guest

    The one thing I REALLY want in a camera now that the D200 doesn't have
    is either USB or Bluetooth connections to GPS. I've had an amazingly fun
    time with the 10-pin GPS I rigged up for the D200, but I would really
    like to be able to use a modern USB unit, or even a tiny Bluetooth model
    to get rid of some of the dangling wires I have now.

    Cynicor, Aug 23, 2007
  11. Wowsers! I would say so!

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 23, 2007
  12. Chris W

    SMS Guest

    Wait, Ken Rockwell insisted that Nikon would never come out with a full
    frame camera! Finally some competition for the 5D! I expect than Nikon
    will move quickly to come out with a competitor to the Canon EOS-1Ds
    Mark III.

    I was out in the Big Sur area for two days, and I was surprised to see a
    relatively large number of higher end D-SLRs being used by
    non-professionals. Clearly people are willing to spend the big bucks for
    the higher end products. I saw mostly Canon because of the BWLs that
    nature photographers tend to favor, but there were some D200's as well.

    SMS, Aug 23, 2007
  13. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    I think I will be waiting for the D300 too.

    The number I saw on the weight says the D300 is only 5 grams lighter
    than the D200. If you can detect that, I am amazed. A few specs of
    dust will almost add up to that (ok so that's a slight exaggeration :)

    Chris W

    Chris W, Aug 23, 2007
  14. I think Nikon will hold off for a while. Right now the 1Ds Mk III is as
    useful as a big gaudy 77 Cadillac Eldorado pimp mobile with 4" white walls
    since it is a studio camera without lenses that will resolve on it. Canon
    is going to have to give this beast a new lens lineup of 85mm and wider if
    they want pros to take this camera seriously. Of course they can always
    throw a few a Nikkors on it.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 23, 2007
  15. Chris W

    Don Wiss Guest

    Why should I settle for a lesser camera?

    Don Wiss, Aug 23, 2007
  16. Chris W

    Don Wiss Guest

    It may be a while. This is what I received back:

    I'll get you on the list as soon as we get the product number from Nikon.
    Don't hold your breathe, though.
    In Nikon terminology, November can actually mean February.
    At dpreview
    The D300 is Weight (no batt) 825 g (1.82 lb)
    The D200 is Weight (inc. batteries) 920 g (32.5 oz)

    Okay. My mistake. It was early this morning and I missed that one had no
    battery and the other was with a battery.

    Don Wiss, Aug 24, 2007
  17. I guess I'm completely missing the point here. What do you use GPS for with
    a camera?

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 24, 2007
  18. Chris W

    frederick Guest

    Finding your way home then finding your way back again to
    pick up lens caps, lcd protectors, filters, and other
    paraphernalia that you lost along the way.
    You can trace where you dropped the lens cap - by the GPS
    coordinates on the first image you took that wasn't 100% black.

    frederick, Aug 24, 2007
  19. <guffaw!>

    OK, now I understand. :)

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 24, 2007
  20. You must be using a rangefinder camera. I remember being surprised at how
    few black frames I got with my Mamiya 7.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 24, 2007