Nikon D200 Adobe color space & Vista error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Graham, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Hi, I have recently found a strange error while trying to edit
    jpegs on my pc.

    I am running Vista (which I think is actually very good) and use a Nikon
    D200.

    The following error only happens when I use the inbuilt Vista photo
    importer not when I manually save the photos to my hard drive !!!!

    If I set the color space on my D200 to Adobe, then edit the photos with
    either Adobe CS2 or Nikon Capture NX, I get an ICC PROFILE ERROR and it
    will not save the edited photo.
    If on the other hand I set my camera color space to sRGB, then import
    the photos from my compact flash card, every thing is fine !

    Anyone out there know why this is happening ?

    Thanks
    Graham

    Graham, Mar 9, 2007

  2. Graham

    nsag Guest

    Are you sure you can save jpegs in-camera in Adobe RGB?
    Do you have the defaults in NX set properly with regard to preferred color
    space and mismatches?
    The Adobe CS3 beta has a very nifty new tool for importing image files from
    camera/storage card but short of that one is better off, regardless of OS,
    directly copying from card to hard drive.
    Lastly, color management in Vista, even if your monitor calibration device
    has working Vista drivers, is still a work in progress because the Nvidia
    and ATI video drivers are not yet totally reliable.
    I try to like Vista but lack of drivers, drivers that simply do not work,
    immature drivers and program incompatibilities make it difficult. It is
    truly shocking how Microsoft failed to line up other vendors prior to
    release of what is really still a beta OS.

    nsag, Mar 9, 2007

  3. In message Graham sprach forth the
    following:
    Looks like you answered your own question.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Stop using the stupid importer. Vista is not a color managed application as
    far as I know and would seem to be mangling the files.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 10, 2007
  5. Graham

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    It could be that Vista doesn't have an AdobeRGB profile to use, or
    perhaps it's a corrupt file. I'd suggest getting a new copy off of
    Adobe's web site and putting it where Vista stores such things.

    <http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/adobergb.html>

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 10, 2007