    histogram at 1/2 instead of 3/8? I can fix up individual pictures in
    photoshop fine, but I'd rather not have to fix up every picture I
    take.

    Bob Jenkins, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Bob Jenkins

    Tetractys Guest

    Tetractys, Oct 10, 2004

  3. [email protected], Oct 10, 2004
  4. Bob Jenkins

    Gadgets Guest

    If you're metering correctly with gray card, incident meter, or other
    accurate method, then a simple exposure compensation may help. Otherwise
    custom curves...

    Let me guess, you were shooting something with lots of white or bright sky
    in it?

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Bob Jenkins

    tbm Guest

    If you're metering correctly with gray card, >incident meter, or other
    really doesnt matter what type of subject one.should not have all this hassle regards having to fix/adjust firmware to get a proper
    exposure- "no excuses" nikon should get it right/corrected.rgds to all from TBM...

    tbm, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Bob Jenkins

    Jim Townsend Guest

    tbm wrote:

    I think this is the bottom line.

    I haven't seen that many complaints of D100's producing consistently dark
    images on this forum. I don't own one, but I've seen many fine shots taken
    by this camera.

    Rather than tinkering with non standard settings to compensate for the
    dark images, I'd send the camera in to get serviced.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Bob Jenkins

    Tetractys Guest

    Look again. Darkness and softness are common
    complaints with the D100.
    I do.
    Custom curves are not "non-standard settings," nor
    are they attempts to "fix/adjust firmware." Annoying,
    perhaps. There is a learning curve to the D100, and
    the softness and darkness beginners experience are
    easily overcome with a little time with the manual
    and the camera. Custom curves might be part of
    that learning curve, and are one valuable tool among
    many available to the user.

    The D100 is not a point-and-shoot camera. It took
    me weeks to figure out what was going on with my
    soft, dark shots. I do now appreciate the power in
    this puppy, but I had similar gripes when I first started
    using it.

    You can differ with the choices Nikon took in
    their algorithms and workflow, but the complaints
    expressed here are basically those of beginners
    who don't know the hardware. Once you practice
    and figure out the reasons shots are coming out
    soft and dark, you can compensate under a variety
    of conditions, or build a workflow around the raw
    images that results in the desired outcome.

    You'll still gripe, but it won't be about soft and
    dark shots. It'll be about gamut and resolution.

    Tetractys, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Bob Jenkins

    Bob Jenkins Guest

    Aw SHOOT!

    I tried adjusting the exposure compensation. I pressed the button
    with the +/- and twisted the main dial, and it said I adjusted the
    exposure compensation. But nothing changed. The reason for this is,
    I pressed the button with a +/- and a lightning bolt next to it. That
    controls exposure compensation for the FLASH. There's another button
    on the top of the camera, right below the take-the-picture button,
    that has a +/- with no lightning bolt. Holding that down, and
    twisting the main dial to +1ev, fixed the problem.

    Bob Jenkins, Oct 11, 2004
  9. Bob Jenkins

    Tetractys Guest

    I know the feeling. There is a dark spot
    on the side of my forehead where all
    the veins are broken from constant slapping.
    I griped for weeks about soft focus. Then
    I realized I was post-processing wrong.
    Weeks. Publicly.

    Tetractys, Oct 11, 2004
  10. Bob Jenkins

    gsum Guest

    If did own a D100, you would know that the camera is set to avoid
    blowing out highlights in all but the most extreme situations and that
    exposure compensation is best performed when post processing.
    All of these 'complaints' are by people who don't know how to
    use the camera properly. Nikon have got it right - the beginners
    need to learn photography.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 11, 2004