Nikon D100 (cleaning the ccd)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven Buglass, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. I was just wondering if anybody has tried cleaning the ccd themselves, or do
    you all send it back to nikon to do it, as advised.

    Steven Buglass, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Steven Buglass

    elemar Guest

    : I was just wondering if anybody has tried cleaning the ccd themselves, or do
    : you all send it back to nikon to do it, as advised.

    Yes, I cleaned mine. It's not very difficult once you get the hang of it.

    The main problem I had was that I used a rubber bulb blower to get some dust
    off it. The bulb contained small bits of rubber that landed on the mirror
    and stuck there. I guess the bits of rubber were decomposing. Those bits of
    rubber would not come off with just puffs of air.

    I went out and got the swabs and solvent designed for cleaning the CCD. It
    took me several attempts over a couple of days to remove all the rubber
    residue, but I finally got it off - and with no damage to the CCD.

    In order to clean the CCD, you have to go to the menu item that raises the
    mirror. You have to have the camera attached to the AC adapter in order to
    get to that menu item.

    Ray

    elemar, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Steven Buglass

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    Clean it yourself:

    http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

    Tom Thackrey, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Steven Buglass

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    I clean my CCD myself approximately once per month. I've heard reports of
    people sending the camera in for cleaning only to have new dust specs
    showing up from shipping. I use the modified rubber spatula, Pec pads, and
    Eclipse solution with excellent results.

    Chris Hoopes, Dec 6, 2003